Crusin for a bruisin'

IndyDenise

So I am booked for my 3rd Carnival cruise for August. Of course I'm excited and I share my news with others..friends, customers...this is my 25th wedding anniversary vacation with my husband and we beyond happy.

So what do I hear from others?

Carnival? Well I HEARD they have drunks and low life's onboard.

What I want to say back " not if you aren't going "

What I do say " nope, filled with nice normal friendly people"

Which is 100% true.

Then I get told about the terrible food, the party vibe, the lack of service, etc.

Then I get to educate them. I explain that I like Carnival better than HAL and why. ( and I am a 3 star on HAL)

Better steakhouse.

Better service and friendlier too

Better buffet with longer hours

Better cabin stewards

Better and more diverse activities

Better burger joint

Better passengers

Better food overall except for HALs bread

Yup better passengers!! People on Carnival are more open to chit chat with others. They are more willing to make a spot for a total stranger to sit .

I'm just venting I guess.

I'm sick of people who have never cruised Carnival to even think they "know" Carnival . I could have chosen any line and I chose Carnival for our trip.

HAL does have some nice things. Great suite program, awesome drinks with fresh fruits, etc but it comes at a price. This isn't a knock against HAL. But I do like Carnival better.

Rant over

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I am booked for my 3rd Carnival cruise for August. Of course I'm excited and I share my news with others..friends, customers...this is my 25th wedding anniversary vacation with my husband and we beyond happy.

What I want to say back " not if you aren't going "

What I do say " nope, filled with nice normal friendly people"

Which is 100% true.

Then I get told about the terrible food, the party vibe, the lack of service, etc.

Then I get to educate them. I explain that I like Carnival better than HAL and why. ( and I am a 3 star on HAL)

We have been hearing the same for many years...usually when cruising on those other lines.

It's amazing how people form an opinion which they determine must be fact without having actually experienced it, just because the heard or read something years ago. If they are that sure of their assumptions it is unlikely that you can change their mind.

I figure it's not my problem :) It doesn't make them bad people.

While I have no other cruising experience to compare Carnival with I must say that I enjoyed our very first cruise so much that we're booked for cruise number two in 34 days. I found that ALL of the Carnival staff was friendly and attentive. We had FTTF yet our cabin was not ready when we boarded. Rather than huff and puff I just went to the service desk and inquired if I misunderstood the FTTF offerings. A quick check of our purchase and we received immediate credit. Then upon returning to our cabin we were greeted by our steward and his boss with the most sincere apologies. I told them I understand that there are times when things happen. Later in the evening I pulled our cabin steward aside to tell him I appreciate his work and handed him a $20. He conveyed that he had received a phone call from home and his mom was not doing well. I really began to understand just how much these individuals sacrifice to do their job. Needless to say he tended our cabin especially well, ice bucket filled every day. Always fresh towels, etc. As far as the food, I was pleasantly surprised at the offerings, not to say that there weren't occasions of tough beef or a miscue on the food temperature, but I all one need do is order something else, it's not like you'll be billed extra. All I can say is you reap what you sow. If you are kind and generous with the staff the same shall be returned. Act like an arse...well . I look forward to our second Carnival cruise and know that I'll be pleasantly surprised at the value I get for my money. Sorry this was so long but I just wanted to share that even when things do not go as expected, that's all the more reason to smile, be polite and embrace the moment with happiness.

I have only cruised on Carnival and will take #10 July 2016 and #11 May 2017. While nothing is perfect, I've found most of our cruises have been positive. Some people love to complain no matter what and are unhappy unless they are doing so.

Then I get to educate them. I explain that I like Carnival better than HAL and why. ( and I am a 3 star on HAL).

HAL does have some nice things. Great suite program, awesome drinks with fresh fruits, etc but it comes at a price. This isn't a knock against HAL. But I do like Carnival better.

Rant over

I, too, am 3 star on HAL, always in a deluxe suite. But I've never been treated better than on Carnival. At least for now, my cruise line of choice.

We've cruise HAL twice and Disney four times as well as the long gone Premier line and we keep coming back to Carnival. Doing our 9th with them on the Magic in Oct. Carnival certainly fits our needs and I can't recall finding any of those claims, that some people make, to be real. Yes, we've had an occasional blip but usually easily rectified.

I think some of the complainers/gripers/rumor mongers and those that almost demand perfection think far too much of themselves. That's fine, we would rather be on a cruise with folks that have fun than those that have their noses up in the air anyway. :D

I have only cruised on Carnival and will take #10 July 2016 and #11 May 2017. While nothing is perfect, I've found most of our cruises have been positive. Some people love to complain no matter what and are unhappy unless they are doing so.
I personally find it amazing, not in a bad way, that anyone can take 10 cruises ..... 20, 30 cruises on one cruise line and no others. With so many other ships, ports, and competitive pricing on others I found it strange that people don't spread their wings. I find it even more bizarre when I look at people's cruise signatures and see some of these one line passengers have been on the same ship 16 times and have done the exact same itinerary 6 or 7 times on these ships. What gives? I can't understand it. That would be about is exciting to me as reading the US tax code with an anticipation level of minus 10.

You owe an explanation to no one. Especially since they've only "HEARD".

Well i cant speak for anyone but myself in saying we have taken the same cruise several times. We have friends that live in the ports we go to so it is like 2 vacations in one. Also, its really not about the ports its the cruise itself we love. So to each their own. I am sure there are many reasons why people do the same ships and ports over and over again, just like i am sure they are enjoying every minute of it or they wouldn't be doing it. It may not be for you and thats ok, just trying to give you a different perspective.

:p

I personally find it amazing, not in a bad way, that anyone can take 10 cruises ..... 20, 30 cruises on one cruise line and no others. With so many other ships, ports, and competitive pricing on others I found it strange that people don't spread their wings. I find it even more bizarre when I look at people's cruise signatures and see some of these one line passengers have been on the same ship 16 times and have done the exact same itinerary 6 or 7 times on these ships. What gives? I can't understand it. That would be about is exciting to me as reading the US tax code with an anticipation level of minus 10.

Sounds like a righteous rant to me. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary cruise. We are booked on Conquest next month for our 30th anniversary and we're crazy excited. It's our first "real" cruise. We picked it mostly because our son and dil have been on a few cruises and they said they had the most fun on Carnival ships.

Cheers!

It will be our first time with Carnival on the Vista next month and we are really excited about it I dont let other people's negative views put me off as I would rather come to my own conclusions. We had a fabulous time on our last Celebrity cruise but when I read some of the bad comments people had put about it I had to check that they were actually on the same ship. Some people are never happy unless they are complaining about something, me I just love cruising and never let anyone else's moans and groans spoil things for me.

Maybe it's just me but I would never put down what someone does on their vacation. ( unless they went on a killing spree, exotic game hunt of endangered animals etc)

What floats my boat may not float theirs.

Yet when it comes to Carnival it seems gloves are off, for some stupid reason people feel the need to "warn" me.

I'm going to start looking at the bright side.. I'll never have to cruise with those ignorant people!!!!!

I have a friend who has cruised before who I won't talk to about cruising. He has never been anywhere near a CCL ship yet always refers to Carnival as the "Poop cruise line" after Triumph's issues in 2013. He won't hear anything positive about Carnival because he's built an image in his head and doesn't want to hear anything that could dispel it. His experience is a single cruise on Princess about fifteen years ago.

Edited by Rudyard

The tact I started taking about 2 years ago (instead of arguing) is to ask, "Oh, when was your last Carnival cruise and what ship was it on?" When they answer to the effect of "I would NEVER sail Carnival!" I just reply back with, "You don't know what you're missing" with a big smile on my face. :D

Haters gonna hate. Cruisers gonna cruise.

I am not loyal to any line. I have friends who are loyal Royals and freely admit it. They went on our first 2 Disney cruises with us and took 1 Carnival Cruise which they went on with preconceived notions that they were going to hate it even before they went because of what other Loyal Royals had told them about Carnival when they were cruising on Royal. They only went on Carnival because it was an extended family cruise and other family members chose Carnival. They came back with nothing good to say...I didn't expect them to from the way they were talking before they left.

Luckily we took our first Carnival Cruises before they became vocally Loyal to Royal and anti-Carnival. If I had listened to their preconceived notions on what Carnival was about, I would have missed out on some wonderful cruises. I no longer listen to Carnival complainers or any cruise line complainers for that matter. If they have an issue with Carnival or any other line that is their choice. Based on our own experience we don't have any issues sailing with Carnival. In fact our cruise last month was one of the best we have had on Carnival. We cruise to relax. I have never been so relaxed as I was when we got back from that last cruise....even after driving 15 hours straight to get home so DH could get to work the next day.

We have not sailed Royal yet. Not because I don't want to, but because they just have never made the final of cut of meeting all our wants and needs for a particular vacation at a price I am willing to pay. Now I am sure our experiences bias how we compare different ships when it comes down to choosing or top 3-5 that meet our cruise wants/needs but it is only part of the decision making processes. Princess is not my favorite line but if I got a great deal, I'd sail them again. I'd sail any line that met most of my wants for the right price....but most importantly it will be my experiences, my wants, and my needs that will take priority over any one else's opinion of a particular cruise line. Their opinion just isn't that valuable to me.

Eh, we've been on about a dozen cruises and our experience on Carnival has ranged from OK to amazing, and usually near the upper end of that scale. Norwegian consistently the worst, worst food, delapidated ships, comically-bad entertainment. RCL was solid on the single cruise we did with them. Princess was also fine.

Know what's the only constants between all these cruises? First, they were all some good food and entertainment on a ship on the water, of course. Second, they all had drunks, partiers, old folks, young folks, early people, late people, boors, hilarious people, interesting people, fit people, and fat people. Third, we had fun on every one.

Folks need to enjoy themselves and not worry about how others choose to enjoy themselves. If people are legitimately stopping you from having a good time -- for instance, doing a drunken group sing-song in the hallway outside your cabin at 3am, or harassing you and your family, or causing destruction to property, get security to handle it. But these incidents are veyr, very, very rare, and most peoples' cruise complaints are normal personality conflicts that always arise when 2000+ people are forced together for a week. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

You haven't experienced real service on and cruise line of ship till you sail Disney. Blows everyone else out of the water.

And their ships rival Royal Caribbean.

Including Regent, Oceania and Silversea? Having been, I beg to differ.