Solstice - Seattle RT- Tracy Arm - passport?

BigB0882

Ok I am starting to panic. I thought US citizens could take this cruise without a passport so long as they had their ID and birth certificate. I though a passport was only required if you were doing certain excursions that cross into Canada.

Now I am reading on another thread that people thought you needed a passport to take the cruise.

Can someone please confirm whether a passport is needed for this cruise for US citizens.

It says on the website that birth certificate is fine but then people start saying they are "99.99% sure" that a passport is required and I panic that things have changed but perhaps the website isn't updated.

It says on the website that birth certificate is fine but then people start saying they are "99.99% sure" that a passport is required and I panic that things have changed but perhaps the website isn't updated.

Saw many people on our cruise checking in with birth certificate and photo ID.

Our 7th Alaskan Cruise is in August. My family and I would never do this cruise without a passport or one the new passport type cards that are available. If you're going to spend this much on a cruise what is the issue with covering all your bases and having a passport? If you get sick or hurt in route to Victoria and have to get off the ship (and have to stay in Victoria), it becomes a problem for you and your family. If the ship has engine or other problems and you have to go into a Canadian port, you can have a problem too. Passports are a safety net if there are international issues anywhere and you're there.

Our 7th Alaskan Cruise is in August. My family and I would never do this cruise without a passport or one the new passport type cards that are available. If you're going to spend this much on a cruise what is the issue with covering all your bases and having a passport? If you get sick or hurt in route to Victoria and have to get off the ship (and have to stay in Victoria), it becomes a problem for you and your family. If the ship has engine or other problems and you have to go into a Canadian port, you can have a problem too. Passports are a safety net if there are international issues anywhere and you're there.

One thing on this comment - you want a FULL passport (the book), not the card if you have to fly back from Canada (or any foreign port) due to an emergency, the card will not work. Otherwise, this is really good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure, but I don't believe you can take the White Pass Railroad in Skagway or get off the ship in Victoria, without a passport.

You are correct about the White Pass Railroad, if you check the explanation of the excursion on the web site it specifically states you must have a passport. Having done that excursion they do ask for everyone's passport. Don't remember about Victoria because we had passports.

Edited by dkjretired

We just got back from this cruise. I believe that any foreign-flagged ship must stop at least one international port on cruises that leave from the US. Victoria would qualify, and passports were required. Also, on the White Pass Railroad excursion, we had to show our passports before entering Canada and also when leaving.

We just got back from this cruise. I believe that any foreign-flagged ship must stop at least one international port on cruises that leave from the US. Victoria would qualify, and passports were required. Also, on the White Pass Railroad excursion, we had to show our passports before entering Canada and also when leaving.

It's only required if you're getting off the ship in Victoria. If you remain on board, no passport needed.

Been there, done that. :)

A passport is not required to board the ship on this cruise. (Seattle-RT).

Since cruises must stop at a non-US port as you've said, then why is it that closed-loop Caribbean cruises only require a birth certificate, but Alaska round-trip cruises from Seattle require a passport? We've stopped in Victoria many, many times and there was never any type of immigration or passport check done.

It's only required if you're getting off the ship in Victoria. If you remain on board, no passport needed.

Been there, done that. :)

We've stopped in Victoria many, many times (and always disembark), but have never had to present passports or go through any type of immigration check.

Edited by BEAV
spelling

We've stopped in Victoria many, many times (and always disembark), but have never had to present passports or go through any type of immigration check.

This is correct.

We are on this same cruise with another couple who do not have passports. I confirmed with Celebrity that they are fine to board with a DL & birth certificate, as well as disembark in Victoria. What they are not allowed to do is cross the border into Canada via train or auto at the port in Skagway. This is also consistent with the info posted on the Celebrity website and the US government website.

Ok I am starting to panic. I thought US citizens could take this cruise without a passport so long as they had their ID and birth certificate. I though a passport was only required if you were doing certain excursions that cross into Canada.

Now I am reading on another thread that people thought you needed a passport to take the cruise.

Can someone please confirm whether a passport is needed for this cruise for US citizens.

The information below is only applicable to U.S. citizens.

U.S. "Closed Loop" Sailings beginning in a U.S. port (including San Juan, Puerto Rico), traveling only within the Western Hemisphere, and returning to the same U.S. port (including San Juan, Puerto Rico) Valid passport or Birth Certificate and Drivers License is acceptable*. A passport substitute such as a U.S. Passport Card, Enhanced Drivers License, or Trusted Travel Program card such as Nexus, Sentri, or Fast is also acceptable.

*U.S. Citizens on closed loop cruises ONLY: The guest must have a government issued photo identification (most common example is a drivers license, see Government Issued Picture ID Card for more information) AND a document that provides proof of citizenship (most common example is a birth certificate, however, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services are also acceptable as proof of citizenship.

Thank you for all the information but so many people are posting false information. After calling and doing research I have found out that we do NOT need a Passport to board. We do NOT need a passport to disembark in Victoria and depending on which exact train tour you do in Skagway you do NOT need a passport for that. There is one ride that barley goes into Canada and it does not stop and let people off, anyone can do that excursion with or without a passport.

Thank you for all the information but so many people are posting false information. After calling and doing research I have found out that we do NOT need a Passport to board. We do NOT need a passport to disembark in Victoria and depending on which exact train tour you do in Skagway you do NOT need a passport for that. There is one ride that barley goes into Canada and it does not stop and let people off, anyone can do that excursion with or without a passport.

Correct on all counts. Enjoy your cruise.

I did the train ride and you definitely have to present your passport and we barely went into Canada although we did stop.

I did the train ride and you definitely have to present your passport and we barely went into Canada although we did stop.

You did the 3 hour train ride? There is a longer one which definitely requires a passport.

If you were asked to present a passport then that differs from what we were told. Are you sure you weren't asked to present ID and you just used a passport? Either way, we haven't booked this excursion because we plan to book on the ship and use our OBC so we will ask the excursion desk once on board.

You did the 3 hour train ride? There is a longer one which definitely requires a passport.

If you were asked to present a passport then that differs from what we were told. Are you sure you weren't asked to present ID and you just used a passport? Either way, we haven't booked this excursion because we plan to book on the ship and use our OBC so we will ask the excursion desk once on board.

Read the descriptions for every excursion, every one that I saw said a passport is required. Don't go by what Celebrity tells you on the phone, you can call three people and get three answers, they have been that way for years and just about every regular on this board knows it.

From my understanding, the problem is not going into Canada but coming back into the US.

We did the bus up and the train back. We were required to present passports prior to getting on the train.

What's the excursion number..

Edited by dkjretired

Read the descriptions for every excursion, every one that I saw said a passport is required. Don't go by what Celebrity tells you on the phone, you can call three people and get three answers, they have been that way for years and just about every regular on this board knows it.

From my understanding, the problem is not going into Canada but coming back into the US.

We did the bus up and the train back. We were required to present passports prior to getting on the train.

What's the excursion number..

I just did the round trip train excursion out of Skagway last week. No passport required. Passport is required for the train up, bus back excursion.