When do you check-in, print boarding docs., etc?

Irish110

Just wondering what most people do as far as when to check-in and get boarding documents, etc. Do you check-in before final payment, do you check-in after final payment or do you wait until closer to your cruise to check-in? Is there any advantages or disadvantages to early check in?

Just wondering what most people do as far as when to check-in and get boarding documents, etc. Do you check-in before final payment, do you check-in after final payment or do you wait until closer to your cruise to check-in? Is there any advantages or disadvantages to early check in?

I normally wait until right after final payment, assuming that I have my airfare booked by then. If I have a "guarantee" booking, I wait until my room is assigned.

If I get an upsell offer (and accept) I reprint page 1 only (for each of us).

DH usually checks us in within a couple of days of booking, and prints the boarding passes (first edoc pages) as soon as available, 50 days out. He thinks it is better to discover any problems as early as possible, and in case HAL or we have some computer problems later on.

Edited by catl331

I do the same as catl331 for peace of mind.

+1. Same here. Only thing holding us back this time is the passport has to be renewed as it expires 5 and 1/2 months before the end of the cruise so it needs to be renewed [sigh]

We wait to check in until right after final payment. I print out the docs at that time to double check everything is correct.

I normally don't luggage tags until a week or so before we leave and attach them to the suitcases at that time (we drive to the ports)

Its our first time on HAL, and never had paper luggage tags printed out by us, so how do they stay on the luggage? Paper will tear. Does anyone laminate? Or put them into a holder?

I bought a plastic holder here on CC and reuse it. Works great!

"Completing Online Check-in is the first step to making your Express Docs available for you to print. Once you’ve completed Online Check-in, made your final payment and are within 50 days of departure, your Express Docs will be available for you to print.

Online Check-in can be completed in Dutch, German, Spanish and English."

So while you can fill out your info ahead of time, you cannot print the docs until around 50 days prior to departure. The system is actually quite "smart' and told me that I had to update my passport information in order to be in compliance with the 6 month validity rule. I had already renewed but the info on record showed my old passport number which would have expired a few weeks after the end of the cruise. All good.

Its our first time on HAL, and never had paper luggage tags printed out by us, so how do they stay on the luggage? Paper will tear. Does anyone laminate? Or put them into a holder?
DH uses a blank sheet for backing, so after folding they are 6-ply, and puts two on each bag. We've only lost one tag since they started the system.

Even if all tags are torn off, as long as it gets on the right ship you'll get your bag eventually. :)

Edited by catl331

There was much discussion of this here when HAL started having you print your own luggage tags. The instructions claim the folded paper is sturdy enough, but I don't think many people believe that. I remember several threads about the craft projects people out of this problem. I cover the printed folded paper in clear shipping tape and staple it around the suitcase handle. Hotel front desks have always been very accommodating about lending staplers.

I do the check-in process shortly after I book. If you have been on HAL before, most of the info is already there. I don't print my e-docs until about a week before I leave home, if I need to, because my TA usually sends me a copy.

One piece of advice -

If you put your info in early check it before you leave home. I had a credit card compromised last year and had to get a new account number. I forgot to change it and received a letter after boarding that my card was denied. Wasn't real difficult to change it but I did have a few minutes of panic as I didn't know why my card was denied.

+1. Same here. Only thing holding us back this time is the passport has to be renewed as it expires 5 and 1/2 months before the end of the cruise so it needs to be renewed [sigh]

I do check-in as soon as we book. I print docs about a week out, longer if we're traveling before the cruise.

I did checkin for our Sept cruise from Canada to NYC as soon as I booked. HAL has our passport info stored, so I didn't have to enter it. Mine runs out on Feb, which is less than 6 months after the cruise, but there was no pop-up or other message to remind me that I need to renew. I am going to renew it in plenty of time, but what would HAL do if I didn't? My passport will have a bit less than 5 months to go. Would they let me board with that? FOr that matter, would Canada let me in with that passport?

When I did checkin for our Dec cruise on Cunard, a pop-up told me that they "recommend" I renew before the cruise (they have the passport info in their system, too). We get home Jan 3 and the passport runs out mid-Feb, and they only RECOMMEND renewal? I know it's my responsibility to get it renewed, but I think Cunard's "suggestion" should have stronger wording.

There was much discussion of this here when HAL started having you print your own luggage tags. The instructions claim the folded paper is sturdy enough, but I don't think many people believe that. I remember several threads about the craft projects people out of this problem. I cover the printed folded paper in clear shipping tape and staple it around the suitcase handle. Hotel front desks have always been very accommodating about lending staplers.

We've never had an issue but I also put a copy of the luggage tag INSIDE the suite case....just in case!

Utahtea

I bought holders at AAA very reasonably. They've been on 5 cruises and look like new still.

It's just faster and simpler for me:)

My husband and I are 49 days out from our cruise. Today I attempted to print my express docs, etc. from the HAL website. I couldn't find a "print" prompt anywhere so I called HAL to find out what gives. I was shocked to learn that if you have an Apple product, you will NOT be able to print your documents. The documents must be printd from a PC! Really????? Seems like HAL might need to hire a programmer to upgrade their system! Hopefully I can find a neighbor who has a PC that I can borrow. Learn something new every day . . . .

I bought a plastic holder here on CC and reuse it. Works great!

We bought some HAL vintage tag holders from the HAL website. Previously, we just stapled them on after we left the hotel. Never did have a problem that way either but I like the look of the vintage tag holders.

My husband and I are 49 days out from our cruise. Today I attempted to print my express docs, etc. from the HAL website. I couldn't find a "print" prompt anywhere so I called HAL to find out what gives. I was shocked to learn that if you have an Apple product, you will NOT be able to print your documents. The documents must be printd from a PC! Really????? Seems like HAL might need to hire a programmer to upgrade their system! Hopefully I can find a neighbor who has a PC that I can borrow. Learn something new every day . . . .

I don't have any HAL documents to print out yet, so I can't test it on my Apple. If you can see the document you can save it as a pdf and then you should be able to print it out.

Open the document, then use your mouse to right click on it. One of the options will be to "print". Click on "Print" and once it opens in the pop up window click on "Open PDF in Preview" on the lower lefthand then you should be able to print it out.

If that doesn't work you might check out this thread with some other solutions. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1161095&highlight=apple+computer+print+documents

Utahtea

We've never had an issue but I also put a copy of the luggage tag INSIDE the suite case....just in case!

Utahtea

I just started doing that a few cruises ago. We've always had our name and contact info in our suitcases, so I just put the copy of the luggage tag with that. I put a copy of my flight confirmation inside my suitcase when we fly, too.