Cucino del Capitano Question (Magic)

sc4125

Someone has asked me this question, and since I haven't eaten in the Italian Restaurant at night, I couldn't answer it (I also tried a search, but could only get the full menu):

When you eat at the restaurant for the $15 fee, is it like the Steakhouses where you get the three courses (appetizer, entree, and desert)? I would think that is the case, but I don't want to give him an incorrect answer.

I hope to be able to make it there on this next cruise. Something always seems to come up - BUT I am going to make reservations for the 1st formal night and maybe this will get us there.

I've seen many great comments and can't wait to try it.

We were on the Magic in June and ate at the Italian restaurant the first formal night. Yes, you get to choose an appetizer, entree and dessert. They gave us a free carafe of wine...not sure if that's standard or because it was formal night or what. My husband had the meatballs, which are to die for...lol...the steak dinner, and it was perfectly cooked and no dessert...we were both too full. They bring bread and a soft cheese before the meal also. I had the Italian salad...the waitress warned me that it was bitter. I ate the tomatoes and olives but could not eat the greens. She warned me...lol...I had the linguine and meatballs...delicious! Hope this helps! Have a great cruise!

Someone has asked me this question, and since I haven't eaten in the Italian Restaurant at night, I couldn't answer it (I also tried a search, but could only get the full menu):

When you eat at the restaurant for the $15 fee, is it like the Steakhouses where you get the three courses (appetizer, entree, and desert)? I would think that is the case, but I don't want to give him an incorrect answer.

I hope to be able to make it there on this next cruise. Something always seems to come up - BUT I am going to make reservations for the 1st formal night and maybe this will get us there.

You are correct.

You probably know this also. Free half carafe of wine if you are booked for 1st night or 1st elegant night which is usually the 2nd night of the cruise.

Thank you so much for the responses. I've heard great things about it and can't wait to try it. My only problem may be that everything looks so good that I may have to eat there more than once (lol). Actually $15 seems very reasonable, so we may very well go there on two nights.

The wine sounds good - but I'm not a red wine drinker but love a steak, and I know you're not suppose to drink white wine with beef - but hey, I'm on a cruise. Plus as a past crew member I know how the crew talks about all of us anyway - may as well give them something to talk about - "ignorant Americans" (lol).

Thank you so much for the responses. I've heard great things about it and can't wait to try it. My only problem may be that everything looks so good that I may have to eat there more than once (lol). Actually $15 seems very reasonable, so we may very well go there on two nights.

The wine sounds good - but I'm not a red wine drinker but love a steak, and I know you're not suppose to drink white wine with beef - but hey, I'm on a cruise. Plus as a past crew member I know how the crew talks about all of us anyway - may as well give them something to talk about - "ignorant Americans" (lol).

First time for us on the Magic in Nov and will definitely try this. Will also drink the wine we please, usually white, and we really could care less what anyone will say about it.

It is very good and a great value for $15. All the entrees ( except for the shrimp ) are huge.

I don't believe there is steak on the menu but there is a beef dish.

Oh one more thing - do you need to make reservations before getting onboard (especially for formal night)?

Reservations can be made on board. If there is a specific day and time you really want, book as soon as possible upon boarding, to ensure you get what you want.

Most nights Cucina del Capitano on Magic is not crowded at all and you won't need a reservation. Also, we got free wine on a midweek night, so I think they do that all the time. They are also open for lunch which is complimentary but mainly serve pasta.

I tried this venue on My last Magic cruise and was not impressed.

I'm an Italian from the Bronx, so I'm used to real Italian homemade gravy (not sauce) and pastas.

I found the sauce was way too sweet and the chicken parm could have been used as a door stopper: very large portion, but way overcooked.

The Magic's Cucina wouldn't last in Little Italy or on Arthur Avenue for more than a month.

It is very good and a great value for $15. All the entrees ( except for the shrimp ) are huge.

I don't believe there is steak on the menu but there is a beef dish.

There were a few reviews that mentioned steak - but I'm pretty sure they were talking about the Bistecca Alla Griglia - The menu says it's the Italian version of a New York Sirloin Steak - so I'm sure that's where they got it. That and the Brasato Al Barolo (Braised Short Ribs) sound really good so I'm sure I'll go at least twice.

My sister (my cruise buddy) doesn't eat red meat - foolish girl, so I hope the eggplant parm, the salmon, or the grilled shrimp are good.

I'm an Italian from the Bronx, so I'm used to real Italian homemade gravy (not sauce) and pastas.

I found the sauce was way too sweet and the chicken parm could have been used as a door stopper: very large portion, but way overcooked.

The Magic's Cucina wouldn't last in Little Italy or on Arthur Avenue for more than a month.

I'm sure the Italians working onboard would totally agree with you. I think most of us are accustomed to the Americanized version of Italian. I know that when I ate in the Officers' Dining room when I worked onboard, it was definitely not what I was use to. They use to get a real kick out of inviting us American Gift Shop girls to their dining room when they were having some "real" Italian food. The faces we made must have been priceless.

this is disappointing. We are originally from NYC and used to go to neighborhood Italian restaurants for the best Italian food in NY.

We ate at the Italian restaurant on two nights. We always showed up, and were seated right way except for one night which they were booked. I ate the NY style steak which was absolutely delicious, and on the other night the chicken parmesan. Everything was so delicious.

We made reservations the day before we went. They had three times available but not the time we wanted so we chose 8PM.

Also between the two of us we ordered three appetizers. With that and the entrees and dessert, it was more than we could eat. The food was awesome!

Yes you can and it's the best meal, we went 4x on the Breeze.

How would they move it??? (It is a rhetorical question). Point is, while it might not fit into what the northeast (and I am from this area as well) think meets the high standards, it is good and enjoyable. It's like people saying that the steakhouse is not not Ruth Chris's...of course it isn't, it's on a cruise ship but still very enjoyable. I have eaten at Cucina 5 or 6 times, found it enjoyable. Op, I think you will enjoy it, try it next see and let us know your thoughts when you return.

How would they move it??? (It is a rhetorical question). Point is, while it might not fit into what the northeast (and I am from this area as well) think meets the high standards, it is good and enjoyable. It's like people saying that the steakhouse is not not Ruth Chris's...of course it isn't, it's on a cruise ship but still very enjoyable. I have eaten at Cucina 5 or 6 times, found it enjoyable. Op, I think you will enjoy it, try it next see and let us know your thoughts when you return.

Looking forward to trying it for lunch and dinner in Nov:)

So are they open during lunch for free everyday? Do you know what is on the menu?

Yes they are open for lunch with no fee. It's a Pasta Bar where you check off what you want from a selection given - what type of pasta, sauce, extras (like grilled chicken, shrimp, vegies, etc). Their featured specialty is a meat lasagna (it's not made with ground beef - more like a roast-type beef) My cousin loved it and ordered it almost everyday for lunch - it's huge!! You can also get a caesar salad & bread. It's normally much quieter than the buffet and it seems like it takes people a couple of days to find it.

I will definitely let you know. BTW just so I made sure that we can get in on the night we want & time, I emailed and made our reservations - heard back from them right away with a confirmation. The email is on Carnival's website under Cucina del Capitano.

I will probably go more than once, but I won't bother with a reservation on the other nights because it won't matter so much in reference to when I really want to go.

As far as it being as good as the Italian restaurants in New York - I'm like you, I don't expect it to be. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

I will definitely let you know. BTW just so I made sure that we can get in on the night we want & time, I emailed and made our reservations - heard back from them right away with a confirmation. The email is on Carnival's website under Cucina del Capitano.

I will probably go more than once, but I won't bother with a reservation on the other nights because it won't matter so much in reference to when I really want to go.

As far as it being as good as the Italian restaurants in New York - I'm like you, I don't expect it to be. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Enjoy! On our last visit on the Sunshine, one of the wait staff assigned to our (large) table remembered us from a previous visit on the Breeze. We have always had a good time....

Edited by jimbo5544

I think its pretty funny you were expecting authentic NYC Italian dishes on a cruise ship for 15.00 a person. ;)

With that said, my chicken parm was cooked perfectly.

Edited by ryano

My meal at Prime on Magic was actually on par with the last time I went to Ruths Chris and a lot less expensive. :)

What is Italian gravy?

I had the best spaghetti ever in New York, ever, ever!

Edited by crusinpsychRN