Taking food on the ship

I know, I know.

Our DIL is fresh off a round of heavy chemo. During it she was very restricted on what she could eat. She is still overly concerned (in my opinion) and wants me to ask if she can bring anything aboard.

I'm going to send the question to RCI, but thought I'd ask here, too.

I hope that your DIL is feeling well. My son has several food allergies, and has been on several cruises. The staff on board is very accommodating to our needs.

However, we still bring our own food on board.

We bring homemade desserts and treats for when we are on the ship. We also bring factory sealed snacks to take off the ship with us when we are in the ports.

Definitely contact Special Needs ahead of time to make things run more smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

She is doing amazingly well, thank you. Do you take the food in your carry-ons or checked? She wants to bring fruit and veges but I know that wouldn't be allowed. She is thinking about snacks mostly.

We will meet with the maitre de and/or head waiters when we board. She is also allergic to onions.

She wants to bring fruit and veges but I know that wouldn't be allowed. She is thinking about snacks mostly.

Please let her know that she will have access to any fruits and veggies she wants, all included in her cruise fare. The Windjammer buffet is a good place to find delicious fresh salad ingredients, stir-fry for dinner, baskets of small, whole fruits and cut up fruit salad as well.

For snacks, pre-packaged snacks are absolutely permissible. Does she like almonds? When I was discharged from my treatment, my oncologist told me to have a handful of nuts every day and I choose almonds. :)

God bless you all and have a great cruise.

I know, I know.

Our DIL is fresh off a round of heavy chemo. During it she was very restricted on what she could eat. She is still overly concerned (in my opinion) and wants me to ask if she can bring anything aboard.

I'm going to send the question to RCI, but thought I'd ask here, too.

The official answer is "No!". Do NOT send the question to RC. Just don't.

Pack whatever you like that is non-poisonous, and preferably non-smelly.

Put it in your checked bag. Unless it looks like a bottle of booze, no one at RC will notice or care.

JUST DO IT.

:)

She is doing amazingly well, thank you. Do you take the food in your carry-ons or checked? She wants to bring fruit and veges but I know that wouldn't be allowed. She is thinking about snacks mostly.

We will meet with the maitre de and/or head waiters when we board. She is also allergic to onions.

Please let her know that she will have access to any fruits and veggies she wants, all included in her cruise fare. The Windjammer buffet is a good place to find delicious fresh salad ingredients, stir-fry for dinner, baskets of small, whole fruits and cut up fruit salad as well.

For snacks, pre-packaged snacks are absolutely permissible. Does she like almonds? When I was discharged from my treatment, my oncologist told me to have a handful of nuts every day and I choose almonds. :)

God bless you all and have a great cruise.

Listen to Karen. She knows what she's talking about. :)

No problem whatsoever bringing homemade snacks onboard in your carry-on.

It's taking them off again that's the problem.

Somehow quoted the wrong post sorry

Edited by GUT2407
Wrong post quoted

She was not supposed to eat at buffets during her treatments due to her suppressed immune system. No fruits or veges that couldn't be peeled. She has always been a funny eater.

While her doctor's instructions trump all other considerations, of course, just know that all "ready to eat" food, like fruits and vegetables that are not cooked, are sanitized before they are put out for consumption, per USPH regulations.

And despite the claims of others as to whether they have done it successfully or not, it is a violation of USPH regulations to bring unpackaged food from a non-verifiable source onto the ship. You may be allowed, you may not.

I was only saying what is allowable by rules so that OP has the best, most accurate information.

Follow those rules and you will have ZERO issue.

Decide to do otherwise and you may or may not get away with it.

I don't see any reason why someone that has a special dietary restriction would NOT contact RC first. In your cruise preferences there is a long list of special diets and giving them information ahead of time let's them be best prepared to serve what you need.

This is the source of my information

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Health+%26+Safety&faqId=322&faqSubjectId=335&faqType=faq

"Guests may not bring on board any food items other than baby food and/or dry, nonperishable snack items (cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc)."

Edited by LMaxwell

Actually, you may bring food ONTO the ship...but unless it's pre-packaged and sealed, you cannot take it off again, whether it's in ports or back at home.

You can't bring anything that requires cooking...they will NOT cook your food, and there is no place to store perishables for a week. Your "dorm cube" fridge isn't as cold as a home fridge and it's teeny.

She was not supposed to eat at buffets during her treatments due to her suppressed immune system. No fruits or veges that couldn't be peeled. She has always been a funny eater.

bananas and oranges are readily available. I suppose she could try and bring on a personal peeler for apples if that was important. (no idea if that is permitted or would get past security)

I have a suppressed immune system as well and while i do not go out of my way to NOT eat at Buffets, I take precautions.. like asking for a clean spoon/ladle or using the fork from my rolled napkin to choose my items. I get my bread from the very back of the tray or ask that they fetch me my cranberry stollen from the back kitchen

As for taking food off the ship, we always bring the individual-size, pre-packaged Kirkland brand (Costco) trail mix with us for excursions or late night snacks after we're already in our cabin for the night and need a little salty/sweet treat! On our cruise(s) coming up, we're also going to bring potato chips - 5 days at sea crossing the ocean and DH dearly misses his chips. Of course we can get some more in the Hawaiian islands but will have to re-stock before leaving Honolulu and heading down to Australia!

My husband is in remission from Multiple Myeloma and we cruised last year on Freedom only 6 months after his stem cell transplant. Frequent cruisers who have health issues told us to speak with the chef at the Windjammer and explain our concerns from eating off buffet after others had picked up utensils and so forth. We would see what he wanted to eat and the chef would go in the kitchen and bring him out a plate from the back before being brought out to the public. Very reassuring that they worked so well with us. No worries as we are going on Oasis in 5 weeks and will be doing the same thing.

Jill

She was not supposed to eat at buffets during her treatments due to her suppressed immune system.

I completely understand this; patients in chemotherapy must stay away from crowds of people and be very careful about hygiene and about being around sick people, etc. However, if her oncologist has declared that she can indeed go on this cruise in the first place, then she can eat from the buffet and be with other passengers.

Is she completely finished her chemo treatments now?

She wants to bring fruit and veges but I know that wouldn't be allowed.

As for fruits, go to the buffet on the first day and pick up whatever she thinks she wants. On the first day they'll have a good assortment of whole bananas, apples, whatever ... but they won't be restocking those items until the ship returns to port a week later ... and she can store them in her cabin before they're "picked over" by the whole ship.

And despite the claims of others as to whether they have done it successfully or not, it is a violation of USPH regulations to bring unpackaged food from a non-verifiable source onto the ship. You may be allowed, you may not.

I can see that giving these things to other people would be disallowed, but I don't think there's any rule against me bringing my own homemade granola bars, or the chocolate chip cookies that my family likes best.

Of course, lack of refrigeration is an issue. The things people tend to call "refrigerators" in cabins are really just coolers. They'll keep an already-cold thing cold, but they will not bring a room temperature item down to cold.

As for taking food off the ship, we always bring the individual-size, pre-packaged Kirkland brand (Costco) trail mix with us for excursions or late night snacks after we're already in our cabin for the night and need a little salty/sweet treat!
You can get a carafe of very good trail mix from the British pub onboard your ship. Of course, the pre-packaged items from home are still best for excursions.

I can see that giving these things to other people would be disallowed, but I don't think there's any rule against me bringing my own homemade granola bars, or the chocolate chip cookies that my family likes best.

Of course, lack of refrigeration is an issue. The things people tend to call "refrigerators" in cabins are really just coolers. They'll keep an already-cold thing cold, but they will not bring a room temperature item down to cold.

You mean other than just being shown there was a rule against it?