BA or Virgin Atlantic Business seats?

JMARINER

I would definitely do Virgin! That said, we have flights to Athens via Phila. and return from Venice on AA. We used miles and - thank you seatguru - were able to pick the NEW business class seats. We're in South Florida so AA makes the best sense for us to amass miles. A number of years ago we flew Miami Heathrow on Virgin and loved it. Have flown BA but not feeling the love there.

Just something to watch out for regarding British Airways business class:

A select few of BA overnight flights in business class/Club World are what they call "Sleeper Service". Essentially, these flights offer an abridged business class service - meaning no multi-course meal (dinner is instead available pre-flight in the lounge), and limited in-flight service. These flights are designed to "maximize sleep time". Basically you board, have a pre-daparture beverage, then it's lights out and bedtime.

This may appeal to some. But for travelers like me who wish to maximize the business class experience, this was quite a disappointing discovery. When deviating with Regent's air department for our cruise this fall, we were not made aware that our chosen flight was sleeper service. Had we known we would have avoided it- and the hefty cost to fix it.

You can see BA's sleeper service routes here: http://www.ba.com/travel/club-sleeper-service/

Edited by towel-animal

We have air on BA coming up. We're in first over the water and business to are final point. The first class seat choice is free, but at charge of $30 or $35 for the business class if you want the seat ahead of time. And are ticket is first, they don't have first on that part of the trip.

We have air on BA coming up. We're in first over the water and business to are final point. The first class seat choice is free, but at charge of $30 or $35 for the business class if you want the seat ahead of time. And are ticket is first, they don't have first on that part of the trip.

That is why VS is 100% better. They do not charge for reserving a seat in Upper Class. The service is 100% better. Club Lounge at Heathrow is the best lounge of any airline (including Qatar which is a close 2nd).

As far a other airline business class - Qatar is 5*, Emirates is 4*, Cathay is also good as is SQ (4*). For me US carriers like AA, Delta and UA all have inferior products and inferior service. I fly 200K a year -- so I have my favorites. Most times unfortunately I am forced to fly US carriers (fly US act).

Pathetic that BA charges for reserving J class seats. We avoid BA at all costs.

Here are the best Middle East airlines. We have flown them all but love Emirates. Singapore and Cathay are the best for Asia. US carriers are the worst for international travel.

https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/2016/07/08/emirates-etihad-or-qatar-which-one-has-the-best-first-class/

Our Lufthansa flights are this Monday. We are flying on a 747 - upstairs where there are only 10 seats (Business Class). We know that we like their service and food...... just waiting to see what their new flat beds are like. If we like Lufthansa, we will use them for our flights later next year as we have already booked BA (also 747 upstairs) for our November and March flights.

As previously noted, we do not like Frankfurt and have yet to have a layover in Munich (but will have one on July 20th). Will report back. Wish that Qatar flew out of Vancouver.

Our Lufthansa flights are this Monday. We are flying on a 747 - upstairs where there are only 10 seats (Business Class). We know that we like their service and food...... just waiting to see what their new flat beds are like. If we like Lufthansa, we will use them for our flights later next year as we have already booked BA (also 747 upstairs) for our November and March flights.

As previously noted, we do not like Frankfurt and have yet to have a layover in Munich (but will have one on July 20th). Will report back. Wish that Qatar flew out of Vancouver.

Hope you have a lovely trip dear. :D

Enjoy your flights

I thought that there were 22 lay-flat business class seats on the upper deck of a Lufthansa 747-400

Actually, it does have 22 seats (if you remember to count all of the seats - I missed a few). We are in what was formerly First Class (before they changed the seats and did away with First Class). While they do not appear to have the storage of BA, we'll learn more on Monday.

Edited by Travelcat2

32 seats on the 747-800 V1 I don't count 22 seats. They have different 747-800 configurations and you need to know which version of the 800 you are flying as they are not all the same...but I still can't find a configuration with 22 seats.

32 seats on the 747-800 V1 I don't count 22 seats. They have different 747-800 configurations and you need to know which version of the 800 you are flying as they are not all the same...but I still can't find a configuration with 22 seats.

That is because it is a 747-400 (either V1 or V2 - both have 22 seats upstairs). Here it is on Seatguru.com http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Lufthansa/Lufthansa_Boeing_747_400_V4.php (scroll down to see upstairs).