Probably a dumb question but...shorts

jewelmick

You don't mention specifically except for the Vatican which religious shrines you will be visiting. At a minimum no knees and shoulders should be showing. Personally I would dress like you were going to a conservative church at home. Respect for the shrine over personal comfort, especially in Middle Eastern cultures.

We are visiting some religious sites while on our Med cruise, Vatican, churches, etc...It says no bare shoulder or shorts...but, what about Capri's? Is it just that you can't show knees or knees and ankles?
Here is the dress code for the Vatican in pictures. You can show your ankles :)

Perfect thanks Hawk.

It is going to be so hot, the capris I have planned to wear are very nice and dressy with a nice breezy (but not see through) top.

This is what my aunties wear to church...I am agnostic so had no clue.

3dba8a3a20d8125b6b7dfe0656782b2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can you see me walkin up to the Vatican gates wearing a "church hat?"

Everyone has a different idea of what Sunday Best means...these outfits are actually rather tame, compared to some I remember seeing as a child.

Can you see me walkin up to the Vatican gates wearing a "church hat?"

Everyone has a different idea of what Sunday Best means...these outfits are actually rather tame, compared to some I remember seeing as a child.

Apparently, I had a very boring childhood. LOL.

The main thing is to cover your knees and shoulders. What I've done before is get a light and long wrap skirt and then wore shorts and carried the skirt in my purse and put it on when touring churches

When I visited a monastery in Greece, they made me put on a wrap-around skirt on top of my long pants. Women in slacks are apparently not allowed in some Greek Orthodox sites. They also sometimes make men put on the skirts if they show up in "short shorts," but long shorts were apparently okay for men.

Luckily they had a whole stash of wrap-around skirts for visitors to use. I don't recall if they also had shawls for women who showed up with bare shoulders. I had a shawl with me in case I had to cover my head at a religious site, but I wasn't about to wear a skirt all day while hiking around Meteora.

We are visiting some religious sites while on our Med cruise, Vatican, churches, etc...It says no bare shoulder or shorts...but, what about Capri's? Is it just that you can't show knees or knees and ankles?

Wear a long skirt that you can easily take off and put on over your capris

In Italy short sleeves and capris or below knees skirt were just fine at all of the churches I went to, including the Vatican. Don't know about other places. Some people did wear shorts and tank tops and stick a maxi skirt and cardigan or shawl in their bags to put on when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gymbomb

Good! thank you

We will be in churches in Barcelona (La Sagrada Familia) and Italy...I just figured the Vatican would be the most prickly about the dress.

You picked two of the most crowded ones thats for sure. (and two of the coolest as well I might add:D)

I wore capris and a plain colored shirt with short sleeves and I was fine. I saw a lot of women in ridiculous shirts (large armholes with bra showing) that draped a napkin over their shoulders so they technically were "covered." It was sweltering in August as we waited in line for the security check. The light weight shawl idea is a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I find that a light cotton skirt (covering the knees) is often more comfortable and cooler than shorts or capris. Short sleeves on tops is fine, as long as the shoulders are covered. (Love your aunties btw!)

Is this true for La Sagrada Familia too? I know it's been consecrated but it is still under construction. Would we be ok in dresses above the knee? Definitely nothing too short but it's hard to find long dresses that aren't frumpy or hot!

I wore long pants, as I felt it just showed respect for the religion and culture.

This. My husband wore long linen slacks (he was comfortable with the warm temps that way) and I wore a long (ankle length) flowy skirt (again, cool). I wore a blouse that covered my arms almost to the elbow and DH wore a collared short sleeved shirt.

I also carry a light silky scarf everywhere, some very Orthodox churches and Synagogues might not require but certainly prefer women to cover their heads. Mosques pretty well always do.

Is this true for La Sagrada Familia too? I know it's been consecrated but it is still under construction. Would we be ok in dresses above the knee? Definitely nothing too short but it's hard to find long dresses that aren't frumpy or hot!

Long flowy, lightweight cotton skirts can be found anywhere (Ross and Penney's have both had them for around ~$12 lately) and they are both cool and not frumpy. It is 89 in the shade here right now, and I was just outside brushing out the dogs in one, wouldn't have been any cooler in shorts or a shorter skirt.