Hey Celebrity, how about a Tahiti/Hawaii itinerary from the west coast?

norwegianwood57

Norwegianwood57, while doing a search on PVSA I found the thread linked below that was started by you last September on the same subject of West Coast cruises. It has over 100 replies, so I'm curious if anyone from Celebrity responded to you in that thread as you're hoping they will in this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264720&highlight

Edited by BEAV

Norwegianwood57, while doing a search on PVSA I found the thread linked below that was started by you last September on the same subject of West Coast cruises. It has over 100 replies, so I'm curious if anyone from Celebrity responded to you in that thread as you're hoping they will in this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264720&highlight

It is interesting that there are no " Celebrity " comments on this as yet .

With the European market crumbling for the entire cruise industry ,where & when will Celebrity & RCCL reposition ships .All we can do is keep proding them to think California based cruises .:D

You are right Beav. No one responded then and no one will respond now. But I keep trying, dont I.

Wasting my time? Yeah I know the answer to that.

Not a waste at all. Was just curious and didn't want to weed through 123 posts!

Not a waste at all. Was just curious and didn't want to weed through 123 posts!

Once X gets a couple Edge class ships added to the fleet, expect one of the M Class ships to be berthed on the west coast.

Just like Princess, leaving the west coast with old iron.

Once X gets a couple Edge class ships added to the fleet, expect one of the M Class ships to be berthed on the west coast.

That is my hope, basing an M class ship in California in 2 or 3 years. And I would welcome that. Recently I have been on the Star Princess and the Infinity, both "older" ships here in California. Celebrity Infinity far outshines the Star Princess. The Infinity sparkled after her recent refit. Just because a ship is old doesn't mean she is second class.

This thread is going off topic. Again, this is not about Celebrity wouldn't, couldn't, shouldn't. Let Celebrity's legal staff figure it out.

This is a thread about West Coast US itineraries, not about itineraries starting in OZ or Alaska or Canada. Itineraries for other locations might be a good topic for a different thread.

Please let's stay on topic about West Coast itineraries and not worry about the Jones Act or PVSA. Celebrity will figure it out. This is a wish list for those of us looking for more itineraries departing and terminating in California. California itineraries have a huge potential market covering California, Nevada, Arizona, and Colorado (even northern Mexico). Even those who say that California itineraries are not possible, say they would sign up if they did become available.

Let's stay on topic and show Celebrity that there is significant interest in more California round trip itineraries!

What do you expect Celebrity to "figure out"? I'm not being snarky, that's a serious question. Itineraries that violate the PVSA can't be hand-waved. We can howl for them all we want but those itineraries won't happen because they can't.

Any itinerary roundtrip a USA port MUST stop in a foreign port and any foreign port satisfies that.

Any itinerary that starts in one USA port and ends in a different USA port MUST stop either in the Caribbean ABCs or a port somewhere outside of North America and Central America.

A USA citizen can't even string B2B itineraries in such a way that their embarkation and debarkation ports violate the PVSA.

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886

"in order to embark in a U.S. port and disembark in a second U.S. port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Central America, Bermuda. the Bahamas, and all of the Caribbean except Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao, count as part of North America)

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

What do you expect Celebrity to "figure out"? I'm not being snarky, that's a serious question. Itineraries that violate the PVSA can't be hand-waved. We can howl for them all we want but those itineraries won't happen because they can't.

Any itinerary roundtrip a USA port MUST stop in a foreign port and any foreign port satisfies that.

Any itinerary that starts in one USA port and ends in a different USA port MUST stop either in the Caribbean ABCs or a port somewhere outside of North America and Central America.

A USA citizen can't even string B2B itineraries in such a way that their embarkation and debarkation ports violate the PVSA.

Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886

"in order to embark in a U.S. port and disembark in a second U.S. port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Central America, Bermuda. the Bahamas, and all of the Caribbean except Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao, count as part of North America)

Not to worry a R/T Hawaii stops in Ensenada Mexico before returning to the San Diego or the World Cruise Center port in San Pedro ,Calif :D

If X was to do a Hawaii /Tahiti cruise that also would be easily satisfied not to go against the law ;)

Problem is that the new Edge class ships are not do out to 2018 & 2020 ,if memory serves me right . We would be 79 young in 2018 ;)

From what I recall the new Edge class ships would be about the same size as the M class ships ;but ,that is always subject to change ;)

Just to clarify, the PVSA does not care what the citizenship of a passenger is, so it is not just "USA citizens" who cannot string B2B cruises together in violation of the Act.

Problem is that the new Edge class ships are not do out to 2018 & 2020 ,if memory serves me right . We would be 79 young in 2018 ;)

From what I recall the new Edge class ships would be about the same size as the M class ships ;but ,that is always subject to change ;)

Since the first two Edge class are currently under contract, and I would suspect that steel cutting on the first one would start soon, I doubt there would be much chance of a change in size.

That is my hope, basing an M class ship in California in 2 or 3 years. And I would welcome that. Recently I have been on the Star Princess and the Infinity, both "older" ships here in California. Celebrity Infinity far outshines the Star Princess. The Infinity sparkled after her recent refit. Just because a ship is old doesn't mean she is second class.

We too have been on both ships . However ,we were on the Star when she was new & we were also on Infiniti when she was new . Both ships have different appeals ,ala the buffet on Princess open very late at night & the Star with many pools ,etc . Imo hard to compare like apples & oranges

What is currently good about the Star Princess is the larger space ratio(public areas ) that other Princess ships sailing R/T Hawaii ;). She has a 42 rating space ratio & the others 37 ;which means more elbow room for the Star in public areas .She would be my personal choice ,if we were doing a R/T Hawaii 15 night cruise . Another good thing about Princess Hawaii cruises they stop in Kauai where Celebrity never did that stop .:D

On all our 77 cruises to date ,we have done most on Celebrity ships ;but ,we also sailed many times on Princess ,who I personally rate as nearly good to Celebrity . Probably our elite + perks influence us a lot toward Celebrity ;however ,their pricing has gotten a bit rich with their marketing promos . 3rd in line is RCCL ships ,then Carnival & then Holland . Never been on a Norwegian ship & probably would not sail on one

So, as the itineraries are already out through Spring 2018 you're hoping for a ship to be pulled out of Europe cancelling everyone's booked cruise, some that already have air booked so you get your X ship on the westcoast?

You are correct. And, as rumor has it, they are now projected to be about the same size as the "S" class ships.

So, as the itineraries are already out through Spring 2018 you're hoping for a ship to be pulled out of Europe cancelling everyone's booked cruise, some that already have air booked so you get your X ship on the westcoast?

No, I think what most are saying is that they hope an M class ship will be moved to the California market, for at least part of the year, as soon as the E class ship is put into service in 2 or 3 years. As far as I am concerned, 79 y.o. is the new 59 and my doctor agrees.

No, I think what most are saying is that they hope an M class ship will be moved to the California market, for at least part of the year, as soon as the E class ship is put into service in 2 or 3 years. As far as I am concerned, 79 y.o. is the new 59 and my doctor agrees.

I agree. I don't think there's a hope until 2018. Connie is the only M Class in Europe and if they pull her they'd have to give up all Venice cruises. So I don't logistically see anything being moved.

I don't mean to be snarky either, but what is so difficult to understand? The title of this thread concerns itineraries from California to the South Pacific and return to the same California port (although Hawai'i is technically not in the South Pacific, it is considered part of Polynesia). Other posters have jumped in and suggested other itineraries that would be appealing to them. Yes, the ports of call are critical when offering an itinerary from a US port when returning to the same US port or a different US port. Celebrity's legal staff in maritime law will "figure out" how to make an itinerary legal and in conformance with the Jones Act and PVSA by "figuring out" what ports to visit and in what sequence, IF they wish to offer such an itinerary. Other cruise now offer similar itineraries and Celebrity can do the same IF they decide it is their best financial interest. I don't know how much clearer I can explain myself.

In the meantime, I will continue to book more Princess cruises that leave from California and return to the same California port, usually San Pedro. Princess is not my first cruise line of choice, but if I want to avoid the hassle and expense of flying long distances, Princess will do. I realize that this subject comes up a couple of times a year and I have never known Celebrity to respond, but I believe that someone from Celebrity is aware of these threads and there continues to be rumors from on board staff and my TA that Celebrity is listening and MAY HAVE something in the works to better serve the Southwestern US market.

Edited by El Crucero

Probably our elite + perks influence us a lot toward Celebrity ;however ,their pricing has gotten a bit rich with their marketing promos

We are booked on the Star next March for a Hawai'i r/t from San Pedro. What is interesting is that the San Pedro r/t is significantly higher in price than the similar Princess cruises doing Hawai'i r/t's from San Francisco and Vancouver during the same month! I'm sure this has to do with demand. I still maintain that SoCal is an under-served market by both Celebrity and Princess.

We usually cruise in Aqua on Celebrity and mini-suites on Princess. We find the pricing to be comparable (within a couple hundred dollars either way) on similar itineraries at same time of year we peruse. But what we get on Celebrity is access to Blu, the Persian Gardens, Elite perks and 2 to 3 "free" promotions. Yes, Celebrity is a much better value and our cruise line of choice and we would like to utilize them more here in SoCal.

Hope someone with any clout at Celebrity will take notice of this but I suspect there have been many topics like this asking Celebrity to bring in new itineraries with a different focus than europe. No attention has been paid to it.

We like the Celebrity product but with no more choices it is time to consider giving up the perks.

I agree totally. The larger the ships the more limited the itineraries as well. It just seems like originality in not only ship size but itineraries is not part of Celebrity's evolution, but instead it appears that they are slowly blending into a Royal Caribbean clone with changes from what was a comfortable more traditional cruise to a more hip or modern "Casual Chic" as observed on our last cruise as a "kinda sloppy, it's my cruise so I'll do what I want" cruise experience.

Just my opinion as I am sure the casual chic does work very well for many, however that type of cruise has always been out there except not on Celebrity.

bosco

We did Hawaii on the Celebrity Century in 10/22/2013 out of LA and it was one of our favorite Celebrity cruise ever. However the Century is gone they do not want to commit another ship to this route due to being able to make more money on the other routes they are sailing. Even Princess has cut back on the number of cruises to Hawaii that they do. It is about the money.

Island Princess 10/12/17, Island Princess 5/4/17, Silhouette, 2/26/17, HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess Elite 228 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity Elite+ 28 cruises

Well where are they making more money now. Certainly not Europe!

It is a good time to suggest a different focus for Celebrity, since they are slashing European prices, maybe they will turn somewhere else.

This post is winding down. We have established a couple of things.

That there is definitely an interest in more cruises from the west coast.

That no celebrity rep came on to give any of their point of view, nor that we expected it.

Is Celebrity listening? That is the big unknown.

Thank you to all who posted and had this going for all to see and perhaps think about.

Princess has a 28 day trip to Hawaii and Tahiti, round trip Los Angeles. It is expensive, and there are a lot of sea days. It is offered in October 2016 on Crown Princess, and October 2017 and March 2018 on Emerald Princess. Celebrity cruisers, why not ask Celebrity to offer something similar, and if they are not able to do so, consider Princess. Princess is very similar to Celebrity; if you like Celebrity, you will probably like Princess.

Sometimes asking works! I heard that some Princess cruisers started a petition, asking them to do an Alaska cruise round trip from Los Angeles (their Alaska cruises have been from Seattle or Vancouver). This year, they offered an Alaska cruise from Los Angeles! I heard sales were very brisk on the day the sales opened. So, you never know.

Thanks for the info on Princess. I have been planning on trying different cruise lines and Princess looks like a good one. They also give military an obc which can be combined with other offers. X and Royal do not so to me it really isn't a benefit.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Thanks for the info on Princess. I have been planning on trying different cruise lines and Princess looks like a good one. They also give military an obc which can be combined with other offers. X and Royal do not so to me it really isn't a benefit.

When you select a Princess ship ,try to get the public area space ratio . That figure means whether you have space between you & the next person on the ship in the public areas .Example Crown Princess has a space ratio of 37 while Star Princess has a space ratio of 42 . That difference can make you feel openness or crowded . The higher the space ratio number the better . 37 is like most Carnival cruise ships except the Spirit class ships which do have a much better space ratio .Thus ,Carnival Miracle which sails from Long Beach to the Mexican Riviera & Hawaii has a much better space ratio .

Why are space ratios important .mainly when walking around the ship in public areas .All large ships you will feel the crowds in both the MDR ,the buffets & main theatres .This is why many people like to dine in Blu , & luminae but you then must book Aqua class for the Blu dining room or a suite to dine in Luminae (part of the MDR but blocked off ) .If not booked into those types of Cabins then you can dine in the speciality retaurants ,at a premium extra cost on Celebrity Cruise ships

Edited by mcrcruiser

Well where are they making more money now. Certainly not Europe!

It is a good time to suggest a different focus for Celebrity, since they are slashing European prices, maybe they will turn somewhere else.

This post is winding down. We have established a couple of things.

That there is definitely an interest in more cruises from the west coast.

That no celebrity rep came on to give any of their point of view, nor that we expected it.

Is Celebrity listening? That is the big unknown

Thank you to all who posted and had this going for all to see and perhaps think about.

When I have the opportunity to talk with Captains Club or the Corporate office for Celebrity , I always add the need for a cruise ship to replace Century ;which was the Celebrity ship (since sold out of the fleet) that did the R/T Hawaii cruise Also I do mention that it would be nice if they not only did the R/T Hawaii from the World Cruise Center or San diego ports in Calif ;but ,that they include going to the island of Kauai as well as Ohau . The big Island of Hawaii & Maui .

We think that sooner or later either or both Celebrity & or RCCL will return to do the Hawaii R/T cruises . When it comes to a longer cruise like Princess 28 days Hawaii .Tahiti & American Samoa ,not sure they would do that one ;but can't say never :rolleyes: