Umm.. Oops.. Who knew checking our C/A Points would offend someone..

Library is a public space and everybody must have access there unless there is a sign on door as private event, etc.

If the LA is using the library as office between some hours, he/she must be there on those hours and ship should not accept any private event on those hours. It is his/her job to speak with passangers about loyalty issues.

And nobody knocks the door when entering to library, its not a private place. The door is there to keep room silent, not for creating extra knoking noise.

Even if the LA were there, they may have been working privately with another passenger. You don't just open someone's door and barge in. If I have my office door closed and someone just opened it and walked in without knocking, I would have considered it very rude.

It is the library which is open 24 hours on the ship. If it was a true office or a room not to be entered it would have a door which locks. It can't be any more simple than that. The LA is there to assist people. If they are busy with someone the next person can wait in a library chair off to the side. It's not like they are talking about trade mark secrets.

I get it, you office your rules. Mine is the exact same. However, a cruise ship "office" in a public space is another story.

Edit: does anyone even know if it is clear or frosted glass to this library? You'd hate to be standing outside this door after you knocked waiting for someone who isn't even in the room.

We were on the Oasis of the Seas in mid June. We wanted to check and see how many Corwn and Anchor Points we had.. We were told we would have to go to the Library, because that was where they hid the Crown and Anchor representative.

We walked up there, and there was a sign that stated the hours we could check. It was between 2pm-5pm.

Around 4:15pm we were hanging out in the Solarium, enjoying my beer package and decided to walk down to the Library to check..

The first hint should have been that the library door was closed, but not locked..

I was holding a beer in my hand as we walked into the library..

There was a group of people sitting around a table saying the "God grant me the serenity" prayer as we walked in..

One lady jumped up and yelled at me that it was a "Friends of Bill" meeting and that i needed to leave.. aka AA meeting..

Obviously we walked out, and the clerk came out and said that the meetings are totally arranged by the cruisers and the cruise line has no control over when/where they meet..

I totally understand the need for meeting space, BUT, the cruise line should have some control over when/where, especially when there is only a limited schedule for someone to check their C/A points..

All that being said you can go to the C&A area on RCL's website and very easily find out your points online.

Edit: does anyone even know if it is clear or frosted glass to this library? You'd hate to be standing outside this door after you knocked waiting for someone who isn't even in the room.

LOL

So that's why I've never been able to get into any library on a cruise ship. No one was there to answer my knock on the door. Boy, you learn something new every day here on CC.:)

All that being said you can go to the C&A area on RCL's website and very easily find out your points online.

I think he is not angry because he could not learn his points. But he is angry because he is kicked out from the library (or LA desk) by a crazy rude passanger while he is there to speak with an officer of ship.

This is same as you to be kicked out from a bar or pool or restaurant by a passanger who thinks it his/her own place to stay.

As noted, why didn't you just check your points for free on the website? Am I the only one who thinks it's just rude to open a closed door and walk in?

Not to a public area.

I agree the library is not a private office and that library doors are usually closed. The OP did nothing wrong, but there seems to be a couple of people in this thread that have no common sense and/or like to stir up confrontations (they need it like oxygen to live their "normal" life, just like the abnormal lady that screamed at the OP).

Advice: chill out, you’re on a cruise or going on one in the near future.

Edited by Rafa

Am I the only one who thinks it's just rude to open a closed door and walk in?

Yes, I believe that you're the only one. Everyone else recognizes that there are some instances where that would be rude, but many other instances where it would be perfectly acceptable. Opening the door to a library at a time when it is scheduled to be open, when there is nothing to inform you that something private is going on inside, is one of those perfectly acceptable instances.

Knocking on a closed library door? Seriously?

I guess on my upcoming Explorer cruise I'll start a sign up sheet of cruisers who'd like to take turns in the library to answer people who knock on the door.

I'll do day 1 from 10am-2pm and day 4 from 4pm-6pm. Anyone else want to sign up?? (being sarcastic obviously)

I think the OP was in the right. This group should not have taken over a public space, especially during a time the LA uses this space as their office. I would of simply continued into the library and sat down at the LA desk and waited for the LA to return.

Even if the LA were there, they may have been working privately with another passenger. You don't just open someone's door and barge in. If I have my office door closed and someone just opened it and walked in without knocking, I would have considered it very rude.

It was the door to the library not someone's private office.

We were on the Oasis of the Seas in mid June. We wanted to check and see how many Corwn and Anchor Points we had.. We were told we would have to go to the Library, because that was where they hid the Crown and Anchor representative.

We walked up there, and there was a sign that stated the hours we could check. It was between 2pm-5pm.

Around 4:15pm we were hanging out in the Solarium, enjoying my beer package and decided to walk down to the Library to check..

The first hint should have been that the library door was closed, but not locked..

I was holding a beer in my hand as we walked into the library..

There was a group of people sitting around a table saying the "God grant me the serenity" prayer as we walked in..

One lady jumped up and yelled at me that it was a "Friends of Bill" meeting and that i needed to leave.. aka AA meeting..

Obviously we walked out, and the clerk came out and said that the meetings are totally arranged by the cruisers and the cruise line has no control over when/where they meet..

I totally understand the need for meeting space, BUT, the cruise line should have some control over when/where, especially when there is only a limited schedule for someone to check their C/A points..

Don't they have the Crown & Anchor points shown on the Royal Caribbean SALE on your email.:confused:

Mine always shown I have 14 points on the email that they sent out to me.

Edited by iSailor

You can check your Crown & Anchor points yourself online. Just go to the Royal Caribbean website - it is free to access it on the ship - sign into your account, and your points will be visible.

You don't need anyone's help.

You don't need the Loyalty Ambassador.

You don't need to be offended that a group is meeting in the library.

:rolleyes:

That!

As noted, why didn't you just check your points for free on the website? Am I the only one who thinks it's just rude to open a closed door and walk in?

It's the library, not a private office. A common area on the ship.

Have you been to the Library? It is an open space that is common area to ALL cruisers. I'm I missing something?

Oh man, I can't think of a worse place for someone in AA. Alcohol flows like water on cruise ships. I do think the lady could have had a better attitude, but more than likely she had to deal with multiple people coming in with drinks, and was probably frustrated. That's why you always leave a note. I have never been to the library on a cruise ship, but I am surprised drinks are allowed. Maybe the lady was a librarian at home so you doubly pissed her off.

Yes the lady probably could have handled it better but the main point that everyone is missing is that he had a beer in his hand. I have a friend that is in recovery and she says it is a daily struggle. A cruise ship is a hard place to be when you are recovering and the last place that expect alcohol is at an AA (friends of Bill W) meeting.

Did she really YELL, or did she just 'state' that there was a meeting? Perhaps loudly because you were [unknowingly] walking into an AA meeting WITH A BEER! So she may have gotten loud, not out of anger, but "OMG the last place you need to be is HERE with a BEER!"

I have a coworker who can't seem to take ANY negative feedback. You can tell her something as simple as "Hey, don't put the blue file folders in with the red", but if you don't smile, hug her, and pat her on the head when you say it, when she retells the story (and she will), she'll say she got yelled at.

Yes the lady probably could have handled it better but the main point that everyone is missing is that he had a beer in his hand. I have a friend that is in recovery and she says it is a daily struggle. A cruise ship is a hard place to be when you are recovering and the last place that expect alcohol is at an AA (friends of Bill W) meeting.

I don't think we're missing that point. But the OP couldn't really have been expected to know that there was an AA meeting going on before walking in.

Just an FYI here. The ships no longer publish a time for FOB meetings. One is directed to the information board near the Guest Services desk for meeting times. The friends are pretty much on their own these days.

Another FYI. Most of us don't care if someone has a beer in hand. We don't drink any more, but we didn't join a temperance union. It may be tough on newer members to the program though. That is one of the reasons there are meetings on board. Everyone knows people will be drinking on a cruise. I have been on board when someone has found it tougher to handle than they thought they would and was very glad they had a safe place to go because they were seriously afraid they were going to drink.

It does sound like the woman in question totally overreacted. Back in the day when there were posted meeting times and we did have signs to place outside of a designated meeting place, people would still wander in any way. We would always politely tell them that this was a posted meeting and could they come back when it was over. I have never been in a position where the designated area was a shared space though. I don't know why the FOB could not meet quietly in the back of a library and a LA couldn't help someone quietly in the front.

Edited by vickiw0318