Legend of the Seas Cancellation Ripoff

If you are unable to re-book by 6/22/16, a full refund for the amount paid

on your current reservation will be processed to the original form of

payment. Please note future compensation will not be available due to this

circumstance, including air change fee reimbursement.

I agree with you. I feel if they are willing to pay $200.00 to someone who paid for tickets why shouldn't they allow up to the same $200.00 for restocking fees for air miles.

It´s not about if you paid for tickets or used miles. They only reimburse Airline fees if you re-booked the cruise by 6/22/16.

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Most likely they would have reimbursed any Change fees to the flight regardless of how the flight was booked if the OP had re-booked.

Thanks to the OP for letting us know. It will help People to make an informed decision and it helps to set your expectations. Realistic expectations are the key to avoid disappointment IMO.

I also applaud to the OP for making the decision to vote with his wallet. It´s the only way to react on this.

I wish you many more happy Cruises on all the other lines.

I know that many Aussie locals booked on cancelled Legend cruises were very frustrated at the handling of the whole saga. The OP's cruise was the end of season repo and caused headaches for many, what with flights, hotels and no other cruise option to link up with these plans. Most were resolved, some very happily.

Keep fighting the good fight. You are out of pocket because RCI cancelled the cruise, they need to make good on this. Not your travel Insurance, not your TA, RCI!

Please keep us updated [emoji4]

My wife and I were booked on RCCL's Legend of the Seas for a cruise from Brisbane to Hong Kong for next April. We had booked our trip to Brisbane using American Advantage miles, traveling from DFW on American and Hawaiian Airlines through Honolulu.

About four weeks ago we got notice that RCCL had sold the ship and was cancelling the cruise since the Legend would no longer be in service. Of course, they refunded our deposit but, when it came to refunding the $200 we paid to reinstate the frequent flyer miles to our account, they refused to pay.

Here's the RCCL policy statement:

"To accommodate guests booked on the affected sailings, Royal Caribbean will provide vacationers with a full refund of their cruise fare, the opportunity to re-book on another Royal Caribbean ship as well as an onboard credit to use during the newly booked sailing. In addition, vacationers who purchased airfare through Royal Caribbean will receive a full refund. Guests purchasing their own airfare will be given a refund for their airline change fee. All refund transactions will be automatically processed back to the original form of payment within four to six weeks."

From my travel agent:

"I again have pleaded our case and received the following answer. You may want to contact Guest relations to see if you get any farther. I again apologize. Robert

RCCL email to my travel agent:

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your email. airline change fees were being reimbursed for any

reservation that moved to a different Royal Caribbean sailing. Airline

change fees do not include restocking fees for airline miles.

Here is the direct information on Air Change Fees from the compensation

letter

o If you incur a fee due to the change in your airline reservations you

will be reimbursed up to $200 per person, for Domestic Flights & $300 per

person, for International Flights.

If you are unable to re-book by 6/22/16, a full refund for the amount paid

on your current reservation will be processed to the original form of

payment. Please note future compensation will not be available due to this

circumstance, including air change fee reimbursement.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

The "INCONVENIENCE" is taking $200 out of my pocket to reinstate my 120K+ miles when it was their decision to sell the ship and leave us "high and dry". I gather that, if we had rebooked another cruise, they might have paid the fee for us to "change" to a new destination for a different cruise.

I have expressed to them my extreme displeasure with this policy. I have vowed to never sail with any of their affiliates again: RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara (and I have over 300 days of cruising). Admittedly, this is a rare occurrence when a ship is sold but to be penalized for being an award flyer versus a fee paying flyer is outrageous discrimination in my opinion!

I would like for others to know of this policy should another of their ships be sold in the future! I'm sure there must have been others on this sailing of the Legend of the Seas who are in the "same boat" (so to speak!!). This sailing was sold out. I believe RCCL cruise patrons should be aware of the potential for this kind of corporate abuse and extreme customer unfriendly treatment. NEVER AGAIN FOR ME!!!

I really feel for you - we were also booked on a Legend sailing in May next year from Dubai back to the Med and we're going to use miles for the flights, luckily we received notice of the cancellation two weeks before the window opened for reserving the airline tickets. I did have an idea that something was up with these sailings though as one day there was plenty of availability and the next it showed sold out for our cruise and cruises before it, and this was about three weeks before we received the official notice of cancellation. We were offered an alternative sailing with a lot less ports on another ship but it was the month before which we couldn't do, so we accepted the onboard credit for another cruise. I hope you manage to get a favorable resolution.

Papaflamingo: Actually this cruise had a completely unique itinerary going through the Philippines, stopping at Puerto Princessa and Manila. I was stationed at Clark AFB on Luzon in 1970 and always enjoy a return visit. I had been to PP way before it was "discovered" in recent years by tourists. In fact, Palawan (Puerto Princessa) was chosen in the August 2016 Travel and Leisure Magazine "Best In The World" awards as the #1 IN THE WORLD Island destination!

The only upcoming cruise that stops at these Philippine ports (excluding the ultra high end cruise lines) is the HAL Amsterdam Feb. 2018 "world cruise" segment starting in Sydney. I may end up doing that cruise albeit at over 3X the cost of the now defunct Legend cruise!

It happened to me twice.. first for Voyager then for Ovation. I have read the conditions carefully and you really have no choice but to rebook it to another cruise in order to be eligible for a change fee reimbursement. Sadly if you didn't rebook it on and just let it be cancelled. You won't get any change free reimbursement.

It also happened to me with NCL, so I find RCCL has better compensation, in my experience with NCL, they just gave me $50 OBC and that's it. No offer in reimbursement of airline booking charges whatsoever.

For people commenting on the original poster not booking air through the cruise line, I've only booked air once through the cruise line. We did not have any flight delays, made everything on time, and still barely got on the boat on time. The next time we were going to, you could pick your flights...for an extra fee. Many people instead get there a day early and book a hotel. It's still far cheaper than the cruise airline fare.

It's one thing when a company has to cancel for something beyond its control, but when they INTENTIONALLY cancel to sell the boat or charter the ship instead, they should be doing everything they can to make it up to the affected people. That's why it does make sense to book an excursion through the cruise line even if it costs more, because many things out of their control can go wrong. But this is like someone booking an independent excursion and the ship suddenly deciding to leave port early and only telling the people on cruise-sponsored excursions. I've read several cases where people's cruises are getting changed to a chartered cruise, and the first place they find out that their cruise is going to be cancelled is these message boards!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your empathetic reply, blondie. I will send copies of my post to the email addresses that you recommended. I was very disappointed when I learned of the cancellation but had no desire to change to another cruise, thus the miles reinstatement. I consider the fee for the reinstatement of miles to be a "change fee"...changing used miles back into usable miles. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know the outcome of these efforts.

Blondie and all others:

I have completed my dealings with RCCL on this matter. Yesterday, I received a phone call from RCCL and I talked to Christopher in their "Resolutions Department". We resolved exactly nothing as his "hands were tied" to "company policy" (not refunding award ticket reinstatement fees). Christopher explained that, if they did this for one person, they would have to do it for all people. Imagine that! Alas, no resolution!!

I then went "scorched earth" by sending emails to the five suggested (by CC members in this Thread) contact people at the cruise line. I also completed a survey sent to me by RCCL as a follow up to the call with Christopher yesterday. I gave a "0" satisfaction score to most questions on the survey and added a summary of the details of my complaint.

As a result, I got another phone call today from a polite representative who was "calling on behalf of the President of RCCL" who had "read my email" and wanted to try to resolve this to my satisfaction. THE BOTTOM LINE : They were offering me a $200 Shipboard Credit on a future cruise as a "good faith" gesture. When I explained that I was NEVER going on another RCCL cruise, I said the offer was moot! I further explained that I would survive without the $200 and that the issue is one of principle...a matter of RIGHT vs WRONG, that ALL clients of their business should be treated fairly if they incur a loss that is solely due to a corporate decision... they should be properly reimbursed! This "policy" is an act of corporate immorality in my opinion that, I hope, will result in CC cruisers giving a second thought to who provides their cruises. I also suggested that the President of RCCL should perhaps enroll in a Customer Service 101 course at a local business college! Who knows, he might learn something. That was about all we had to say...the agent and I politely parted ways.

Afterward, I contacted a local cruise travel agent who told me, in his experience, that RCCL generally likes to settle monetary disputes with "shipboard credit" versus Carnival which will "bend over backward" to provide justly deserved refunds. It is unfathomable to me that RCCL is willing to promote and accept such "bad will"/bad relations/a bad reputation with their clients over such a pittance of money! All I know is that it's for sure that they will NEVER see another dime of my money! As I stated in my original post, "NEVER AGAIN FOR ME"!!!

Blondie and all others:

I have completed my dealings with RCCL on this matter. Yesterday, I received a phone call from RCCL and I talked to Christopher in their "Resolutions Department". We resolved exactly nothing as his "hands were tied" to "company policy" (not refunding award ticket reinstatement fees). Christopher explained that, if they did this for one person, they would have to do it for all people. Imagine that! Alas, no resolution!!

I then went "scorched earth" by sending emails to the five suggested (by CC members in this Thread) contact people at the cruise line. I also completed a survey sent to me by RCCL as a follow up to the call with Christopher yesterday. I gave a "0" satisfaction score to most questions on the survey and added a summary of the details of my complaint.

As a result, I got another phone call today from a polite representative who was "calling on behalf of the President of RCCL" who had "read my email" and wanted to try to resolve this to my satisfaction. THE BOTTOM LINE : They were offering me a $200 Shipboard Credit on a future cruise as a "good faith" gesture. When I explained that I was NEVER going on another RCCL cruise, I said the offer was moot! I further explained that I would survive without the $200 and that the issue is one of principle...a matter of RIGHT vs WRONG, that ALL clients of their business should be treated fairly if they incur a loss that is solely due to a corporate decision... they should be properly reimbursed! This "policy" is an act of corporate immorality in my opinion that, I hope, will result in CC cruisers giving a second thought to who provides their cruises. I also suggested that the President of RCCL should perhaps enroll in a Customer Service 101 course at a local business college! Who knows, he might learn something. That was about all we had to say...the agent and I politely parted ways.

Afterward, I contacted a local cruise travel agent who told me, in his experience, that RCCL generally likes to settle monetary disputes with "shipboard credit" versus Carnival which will "bend over backward" to provide justly deserved refunds. It is unfathomable to me that RCCL is willing to promote and accept such "bad will"/bad relations/a bad reputation with their clients over such a pittance of money! All I know is that it's for sure that they will NEVER see another dime of my money! As I stated in my original post, "NEVER AGAIN FOR ME"!!!

Well, all I can say at this point is that you have made your bed; now lie in it.

They offered you OBC. You said "never again on RC." Why would they bend over backwards to satisfy someone who swears he will never do business with them again?

Well, all I can say at this point is that you have made your bed; now lie in it.

They offered you OBC. You said "never again on RC." Why would they bend over backwards to satisfy someone who swears he will never do business with them again?

Why indeed.

Why? Because the right thing to do is to make the customer whole.

The O.P. is out of pocket because of a decision made by RC.

There is no dispute about this fact.

If RC wants to live a culture of fairness and responsibility for their business decisions then they need to cover the O.P.'s out of pocket expenses, and yes indeed they should not only do it for this customer but all customers who have been impacted.

gain, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

The "INCONVENIENCE" is taking $200 out of my pocket to reinstate my 120K+ miles when it was their decision to sell the ship and leave us "high and dry". I gather that, if we had rebooked another cruise, they might have paid the fee for us to "change" to a new destination for a different cruise.

You would have also received some OBC towards another cruise for your inconvenience. Think of that OBC covering the $200 that you had to pay for your miles to be reinstated and it's a wash. Ship happens.

While I agree with Ken, it wouldn't hurt to pursue it further. 300 days cruising and there's no other ship or itinerary that interests you? Have you answered the question whether insurance would cover it?

Just an idea:

Turn things around: book another cruise with RCI that looks like "the replacement" for your Legend cruise. And ask RCI to refund you the change (re-stocking miles fee) in order to take that OTHER cruise with them. Once the fees are refunded, cancel the second cruise, and take the deposit back.

From a business perspective, they won't give you something, unless they get something in exchange. Be nice, and humble, and you will increase the chances of getting those restocking fees paid, because you are "still sailing with them" despite the pity situation with your Legend reservation.

If RC wants to live a culture of fairness and responsibility for their business decisions then they need to cover the O.P.'s out of pocket expenses, and yes indeed they should not only do it for this customer but all customers who have been impacted.

Maybe this was already covered in previous posts, but isn't that what insurance is for? I understand being upset that the cruise was cancelled and they are out money, but they can't expect them to reimburse non-cruise line expenses, that's what the insurance is for.

If you book a hotel on a website that requires you to pre-pay and doesn't offer refunds for changes or cancellations, should they have to refund that too? How about the money you spent on formal wear? I would be upset about the cancellation too, but this sounds like a case of someone making a bad financial decision to save money (by not buying insurance) and then feeling they're entitled to be reimbursed their expenses anyway.

Marion_Mom is right, why would they bend over backwards to please a customer who made it clear they are done with them and never coming back? Seems you might have had better luck by negotiating a higher onboard credit than turning it down.

Call it a Lesson learned I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you book a hotel on a website that requires you to pre-pay and doesn't offer refunds for changes or cancellations, should they have to refund that too? How about the money you spent on formal wear?

Just MHO of course, but yes RC should be responsible to make people whole when RC makes decisions that cost their customers money.

Think about it, put yourself in the O.P. shoes. Would you not expect to be made whole ? I know I would.

Just MHO of course, but yes RC should be responsible to make people whole when RC makes decisions that cost their customers money.

Think about it, put yourself in the O.P. shoes. Would you not expect to be made whole ? I know I would.

I would expect to be made whole for the money I paid to the cruise line directly. I never book my airfare through the cruise-line either, but since they offer that as an option, I don't think they should have to reimburse anyone who chose to buy airfare on their own.

It's definitely a sticky situation because if the cruise-line hadn't cancelled the cruise, then people wouldn't be out money, but if it had been cancelled due to weather (a hurricane or something out of their control) then people are in the same situation. And that's what insurance covers and that's why people should buy it, just in case. That being said, I don't always buy the insurance either, and I always book my own air and hotel and don't use the cruise-line to book it because it saves me money, but I also know it comes at the risk of losing money if something happens and while I would be disappointed and probably also really mad that they cancelled my cruise, I certainly wouldn't expect them to pay for my choice not to buy insurance or for my choice not to book air and hotel through them.

I do think the situation the OP is in sucks and is really disappointing, but she can't be mad if she made a conscious choice to opt out of the insurance.

If RC reimbursed everyone for things not covered because people didnt get travel insurance, guess what it would do to the fares of everyone else:eek:

The op had two ways they could have avoided this

1 - travel insurance, which would have covered cancelling and reinstating the miles

Or

2- pay a fee and change the flights and get reimbursed for the change. (Which was a valid reimbursement)

We have had cruises and flights cancelled on various trips in the past. That's why we have insurance. You never know what's going to happen, and the further out you book the higher the probability that something could change. Because we have had insurance we have always received full reimbursement of the additional costs involved.

IMHO if you are prepared to fly half way round the world for a vacation you get insurance. If they were taken ill halfway round the world would they/you expect RC to foot those expenses as well? Things happen. It is the traveling parties responsibility to know the implications (including financial) if changes happen. The problem is too many people have never had issues in the past and get complacent that it's never going to happen to them. Then when it does they have the attitude that its not their fault they aren't covered.

Yes, I sympathize with the op that their trip was cancelled. However that doesn't mean RC should be liable for all costs incurred either.

Edited by Spurschick

So if they prepaid a non refundable hotel room at $400 per night because they don't like the refundable/easy cancellation rates, you would expect that to be refunded too?

Edited by Spurschick

While I agree that it certainly would be an extremely nice gesture on Royal's part they are in no way obligated to provide any form of compensation. In fact anything that they did offer is already above and beyond what they were required to offer.

From the cruise contract,

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO GUESTS

YOUR CRUISE/CRUISETOUR TICKET CONTRACT CONTAINS IMPORTANT LIMITATIONS ON THE RIGHTS OF PASSENGERS. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAREFULLY READ ALL TERMS OF THIS CONTRACT, PAYING PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO SECTION 3 AND SECTIONS 9 THROUGH 11, WHICH LIMIT OUR LIABILITY AND YOUR RIGHT TO SUE, AND RETAIN IT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or o the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port

of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

b. In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination,

or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component

of the CruiseTour. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not

be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to

loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

c. By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability (except as provided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at

any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may

be hindered or adversely a ected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking di culties, medical or life saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.

d. Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach

of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.

e. In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical failures:

i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;

ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier.

iii) If the passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right to transportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Passenger’s home city; and

iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if disembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required due

to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated early because of such mechanical failures.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

Unfortunately many people do not read the contracts prior to signing.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

While I agree that it certainly would be an extremely nice gesture on Royal's part they are in no way obligated to provide any form of compensation. In fact anything that they did offer is already above and beyond what they were required to offer.

From the cruise contract,

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO GUESTS

YOUR CRUISE/CRUISETOUR TICKET CONTRACT CONTAINS IMPORTANT LIMITATIONS ON THE RIGHTS OF PASSENGERS. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAREFULLY READ ALL TERMS OF THIS CONTRACT, PAYING PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO SECTION 3 AND SECTIONS 9 THROUGH 11, WHICH LIMIT OUR LIABILITY AND YOUR RIGHT TO SUE, AND RETAIN IT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or o the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port

of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

b. In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination,

or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component

of the CruiseTour. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not

be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to

loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

c. By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability (except as provided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at

any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may

be hindered or adversely a ected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking di culties, medical or life saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever.

d. Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach

of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.

e. In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical failures:

i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;

ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier.

iii) If the passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right to transportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Passenger’s home city; and

iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if disembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required due

to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated early because of such mechanical failures.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

Unfortunately many people do not read the contracts prior to signing.

Just because they can doesn't mean they should. This is not a law its a policy. If they have to rely on the contract to not do they right thing then they have lost. Hurricanes and natural events, war etc. I would not expect refund of a change fee by another name. When RCI makes a corporate decision they should not tie the hands of their agents with a policy. How many people would they actually have to refund? airline mile fees? Is it 10 is it 500? I wonder what the actual cost would be. I am guess well under 50,000 in a transaction worth a few hundred million. Events like this is how laws get passed. Just like when they added the fuel surcharge outside of the contract a few years ago. RCI had no problem charging money they were not entitled to by "contract."

There is absolutely no reason why a passenger should be out of pocket for any reasonable expenses due to the cruise line cancelling a cruise for their own, better interests. That includes insurance premiums, which are another sunk cost, under many people's analysis here. The only reason why the cruise line does it is because they can get away with it, as they have apparently done here. If more people complained loudly enough, the policy would be changed. And I wonder if the fine print of the contract would even be enforceable, since it is so one-sided and unevenly enforced, by the cruise line's own admissions.

The irony is that we can count numerous times reported here when the cruise line gave passengers a free cruise because of passenger issues without the passenger having insurance - from the understandable missed cruise because of sickness, to the not-so-understandable missed cruise because the cruiser didn't arrive at the port in time or had inadequate identification.

So the guy who is not at fault is economically punished, while the people who are at fault are not.

To the original poster - I feel your pain, and get that this is not about the money, it is the principle.

Just because they can doesn't mean they should. This is not a law its a policy. If they have to rely on the contract to not do they right thing then they have lost. Hurricanes and natural events, war etc. I would not expect refund of a change fee by another name. When RCI makes a corporate decision they should not tie the hands of their agents with a policy. How many people would they actually have to refund? airline mile fees? Is it 10 is it 500? I wonder what the actual cost would be. I am guess well under 50,000 in a transaction worth a few hundred million. Events like this is how laws get passed. Just like when they added the fuel surcharge outside of the contract a few years ago. RCI had no problem charging money they were not entitled to by "contract."

I may be wrong but the contract with signature is not turned in until you board right? so if the cruise is cancelled before boarding has the purchaser really agreed to the policy yet?

I'm ready to give this discussion a rest. I checked with my travel insurance company (TravelGuard) and they would have covered my reinstatement expenses. I had not purchased the insurance for the Legend cruise so, in this case, it's my fault (no crocodile tears, please). MY BAD! I inquired and learned that some other travel insurance companies don't cover losses such as this. It all depends on the company.

Having cruised over 300 days (I know, lots of you have many more days than that), I have a pretty good feel for the cruise industry. As a travel option, cruising and land touring hold equal appeal for my wife and me. My life doesn't revolve around "what is the next cruise I'm going on". This is the first major difficulty I've encountered with cruising. It seemed inherently fair that a cruise cancellation would fall within the cruise line's responsibility to offset any direct monetary loss that resulted. Obviously, I was wrong as the lines have cloaked themselves in policies and contracts that preclude such customer service that to me just seemed like the right thing to do. I signed up on CC in 2006 and this is only my 11th post overall in over 10 years! This is the first real issue that I have felt compelled to share and I appreciate everyone's feedback...some supportive and some, not so much.

RCCL has never been my cruise line of choice but we have experienced pleasant cruises with them in the past. I'm sure they will continue to deliver an acceptable product for years to come. Sorry for my angst and hissy fit...I'll perhaps see you on Holland America, Carnival or Princess sometime in the future!

One final comment: I usually don't buy travel insurance outside the 90 day cancellation period for cruises. I thought that was a "safe" time period where anything unforseen could be rectified by free cancellation. Obviously, that is not the case! Again, MY BAD!