Explore 4 question (All Explore 4 threads have been merged into this thread)

Yes (that is correct) a lot of little service charges on our account from the beverage package. Our beverage package was from an explorer 4 that was offered almost a year prior to our cruise and our drink cost limit was $7.50 or under. We realized the charges to our account on the second day and kind of took the fun out of trying to go for 15 drinks a day because those charges add up quickly over a week. [emoji15]

Something wrong here. No one else (including me) has ever reported seeing only a service charge posted. Also, doesn't matter when you booked the promo, it goes with the current rules (which is $8 and under right now). This is something you should have investigated while on the ship, but it's not too late to inquire now.

Something wrong here. No one else (including me) has ever reported seeing only a service charge posted. Also, doesn't matter when you booked the promo, it goes with the current rules (which is $8 and under right now). This is something you should have investigated while on the ship, but it's not too late to inquire now.

Is it possible that these "little service charges" are actually drinks ordered that were above the $8 limit? In that case the excess over $8 gets charged to your onboard account? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the Eurodam in February with the Explore 4 and we had no problem at all ordering drinks for each other with only one card at any bar - and we did it at many of the bars. We were also each able to order several cans of soda and/or bottles of water at one time - which we brought back to our cabin and put in the fridge.

As you would expect there were lots of passengers on the cruise with the free drink package but not everyone had it. The bartenders and servers were all wonderful and didn't seem to really pay too much attention to what drinks you ordered or who actually drank them if you ordered more than one at a time as long as they were given a card to charge them to.

Is it possible that these "little service charges" are actually drinks ordered that were above the $8 limit? In that case the excess over $8 gets charged to your onboard account? Just a thought.

No, that's not the way it's done. If the drink price exceeds the $8.00 limit, it cannot be charged to the SBP/Explore 4; the entire price is charged to your cabin card.

HAL does not charge a "step-up" difference.

No. If you order a drink over $8 you're charged full price for it.

No. If you order a drink over $8 you're charged full price for it.

She mentioned she was on the Westy a "few weeks ago" which led me to assume European cruises, and I had seen a post from a gent complaining about the 20% value added tax on drinks on his Med cruise. The amount of each charge she was complaining about seemed to fit the 20% scenario. HAL collects it and remits to the appropriate authority, whether paid by the bev pkg or not. The pkg pays the HAL service charge but not the value added tax.

She mentioned she was on the Westy a "few weeks ago" which led me to assume European cruises, and I had seen a post from a gent complaining about the 20% value added tax on drinks on his Med cruise. The amount of each charge she was complaining about seemed to fit the 20% scenario. HAL collects it and remits to the appropriate authority, whether paid by the bev pkg or not. The pkg pays the HAL service charge but not the value added tax.

I'm pretty sure this was an Alaska cruise, so it wouldn't have been a VAT.

IMG_1469836703.216115.jpg.112f3ad1988ac24cf81b595b851dbf55.jpg

Thanks for the input and no one being critical. This was the first time having Explorer4 package and just thought this was how it worked. So every service charge ( the is one of the receipts that I have-kept them all) was on our final bill. I appreciate all of helpful suggestions and will look into this matter. Without you guys I would not have known. Thanks again.

[ATTACH]391065[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the input and no one being critical. This was the first time having Explorer4 package and just thought this was how it worked. So every service charge ( the is one of the receipts that I have-kept them all) was on our final bill. I appreciate all of helpful suggestions and will look into this matter. Without you guys I would not have known. Thanks again.

We've had the Explore 4 promo on a couple of cruises and have never had the service charge appear separately on our onboard account. The price of the drink always had the service charge included.

I'd suggest that you contact HAL and ask them to remove all of the service charges. You can find an easy email contact on their website for 'billing issues after a cruise'.

We are splurging beyond belief for 2017. We are doing the 18-day Circle of Hawaii in December 2017. I originally booked because the rate was $73 p.p. per day. With the Explore 4, it went up to $95 p.p. per day. So, i decided to add the Explore 4. We will definately drink $22 per day. We usually bring wine as we drive to port and pay corkage once onboard. Now we can just use the SBP and not worry as we will fly from Florida to San Diego. If we were to buy the SBP it would be almost $900 p.p. Insane! An Additional $840 for (2) SBP and PG dinner is a deal. WE LOVE OUR "DAM" SHIPS.

Yes (that is correct) a lot of little service charges on our account from the beverage package. Our beverage package was from an explorer 4 that was offered almost a year prior to our cruise and our drink cost limit was $7.50 or under. We realized the charges to our account on the second day and kind of took the fun out of trying to go for 15 drinks a day because those charges add up quickly over a week. [emoji15]

Was this a beverage package you paid for or one that was "free" as part of a promotion? What did HAL day when you asked them?

I have never heard of a cruiseline providing a drinks package and than charging taxes or gratuities since they should be included.

Edited by Jade13

• 3 weeks later...
I was looking at http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/ for the Alaska beverages and the prices for almost everything is $7.50 and up. Does this include the gratuity?

if not, most of the drinks are over the $6.95 limit plus gratuity. If that's the case the explore 4 isn't a good deal at all.

Anything under $8 not counting the 15% gratuity is okay in the SBP. If the package is included in your cruise you need not worry about the gratuity, if you buy the package it's $44.95 plus 15% pp but any drink needs to be $8 or less to qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mllewis48

I was looking at http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/ for the Alaska beverages and the prices for almost everything is $7.50 and up. Does this include the gratuity?

if not, most of the drinks are over the $6.95 limit plus gratuity. If that's the case the explore 4 isn't a good deal at all.

The pkg is good for anything that's $8 or less on the menu. Service charge isn't applicable.

We had this package on our Alaska Cruise. While we are not high end drinkers, virtually anything we asked for was included. House wines (ok, not great, but not bad), appletini (made with Absolute Citron), any beer I asked for, after dinner Galliano on the rocks and snifters of Grand Marnier. Plus liter bottles of water. I am sure there was some liquor where I would have bounced up against the limit, but I did not hit any. Relax - enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
We are in a category SB (suite) booked for months. I had our agent re-price it under the recent Explore 4 Promotion. It costs an additional $730 for our cabin. In return, we get Gratuities pre-paid, Pinnacle Grille Dinner for 2 and a $200 internet card. I figured those three are worth about $460. So that means we need to drink at least $270 worth between us to make it worthwhile - three drinks per day per person. We will do three glasses of wine at dinner alone.

No brainer for a 7 day cruise.

We also have an SB that's been booked for several months. This morning I e-mailed my TA about adding the Explore 4. For some reason I didn't get the Pinnacle Grill Dinner, but I did get a nice OBC in addition to the beverage package, prepaid gratuities, and the internet credit. Best of all, the price of my cruise went DOWN $14.00. I would say that was a very lucrative e-mail I sent today!:D

We will still have to spend some money on alcohol because we're red wine lovers, but I'm thrilled to have coffee, bottled water, and the occasional cocktail included!