Drinks Package on Holland and America

linloo

Help fellow cruisers!!

We are considering taking out a drinks package which is something new to us on a cruise. We are having difficulty getting answers to some of our questions.

Can anyone answer the following Qs?

Would a gin and tonic count as two drinks or one?

Would they serve a g&t in one visit as I read they only give you one drink per person at a time?

This would appear to me to be a bit silly if I had to wait 5 minutes to get the tonic in my gin!

Also if anyone can give me a rough idea of the prices of drinks. I note that with the package the drinks have to be under $8.

What size of measure is a glass of wine?

Thanks for help

Linloo

Help fellow cruisers!!

We are considering taking out a drinks package which is something new to us on a cruise. We are having difficulty getting answers to some of our questions.

Would a gin and tonic count as two drinks or one? One

Would they serve a g&t in one visit as I read they only give you one drink per person at a time? Yes

This would appear to me to be a bit silly if I had to wait 5 minutes to get the tonic in my gin! Very silly!

Also if anyone can give me a rough idea of the prices of drinks. I note that with the package the drinks have to be under $8. A G&T will run you anywhere from $6.25 to $7.95 depending on the gin. Most drinks are under $8.00

What size of measure is a glass of wine? Can't answer this one. Best guess is 6 ounces but could be 4.

Thanks for help

Linloo

Welcome to Cruise Critic! See answers in Red above.

Here's a link to some bar menus on Crew News' website: https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Help fellow cruisers!!

Would a gin and tonic count as two drinks or one?

Would they serve a g&t in one visit as I read they only give you one drink per person at a time?

This would appear to me to be a bit silly if I had to wait 5 minutes to get the tonic in my gin!

Also if anyone can give me a rough idea of the prices of drinks. I note that with the package the drinks have to be under $8.

What size of measure is a glass of wine?

Thanks for help

Linloo

Gamgee is a much experienced cruiser. He has the 2015 drink menus and prices on this webpage. It should answer your questions.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/holland-america-drink-prices/

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Are you aware that all adults in the same cabin have to buy the Signature Drink Package?

When we had the Explorer4 program about a year ago, I kept track of the drinks that we had each day and the cost of them. We do not drink a lot (limit is 15 drinks a day) and there is no way we could drink that much. The package is not worth it to us.

I agree with K.K. - HAL's drink prices are quite reasonable and they have Happy Hour prices most days in a designated bar (see the daily programs). They also have 3-bottle or 5-bottle wine packages that I have found to be a good value.

I'd be happy to have it "free" in a promo like the Explore 4 (though it's useful to ask for the cruise price without the promo) because it's nice to have the specialty coffees and bottled water, but HAL's tap water in the stateroom is just fine for refilling a bottle to carry ashore. (I even fill my service dog's water bowl with it on board and she's never had a digestive upset.)

Take the plunge for the drink package. If you're like us, it was similar to a balcony - once you've had it, you'd rather not cruise without it!

We really enjoy the drink package - mostly because there is no math to be done, no account checking, nothing to be done but try drinks that look interesting, enjoy specialty coffees and relax.

Throughout the day we use it for coffees and teas, water, soft drinks, poolside drinks (alcoholic or not), wine with dinner, specialty coffee afterward etc. etc.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Can you order a double/ large gin and tonic and be charged for two drinks on the drinks package? as it will be over the $8 limit, or do you have to order a single each time?

Cheers...

Ask nicely. Tip if you get a double. We've never had a problem. It helps to be nice.

Hi yes you'd be able to order a double. .... I like a glass of port after meal and as it is a small measure (not usual double) I was able to get a double at the same time in the same glass! My partner drinks B&B and he was also able to get at one visit to the bar Counts as 2 drinks of course. Watch out for them calling sparkling wine champagne....cos it's not. Found this to be the case on several cruise lines Grrr. Hope this helps?

Hello - will be on Eurodam 21 days 1/7/2017 - 1/28/2017

What is the advantage buying a beverage package - let's start at $50 - I read about

the drinks you can use it for but as far as I see there are no perks - you still have to use

your card anyway - is it just a way to budget yourself and easier to review your on

board charges etc:

Hello - will be on Eurodam 21 days 1/7/2017 - 1/28/2017

What is the advantage buying a beverage package - let's start at $50 - I read about

the drinks you can use it for but as far as I see there are no perks - you still have to use

your card anyway - is it just a way to budget yourself and easier to review your on

board charges etc:

Buying the Beverage Cards is for convenience only. You have fewer slips to keep track of and there won't be as many charges showing up on your shipboard account at the end of the cruise.

We always buy the $250 cards -- you would be surprised how quickly they are used up -- cost of drink plus 15% gratuity.

I just ordered the Explore4. It seems well worth it, it was $300 extra each but includes dinner at PG, which we would have done anyway. I'm no lush, but deduct the PG cost and it works out to $37/day. Coffee drinks, wine at dinner, couple bottles of water....and you're halfway there already.

No problem at all with doubles. They just want to be sure you aren't putting them into separate glasses to share with a friend. if your double is in one glass, no problem, they just charge it as 2 drinks.

I see people on CC all the time saying "no way I can drink 15 beverages, so the package is not worth it". The break even point with the SBP is 6 or 7 drinks per day. Anything over that and the drinks are free. A typical drink is $7.95 (and don't worry about the 15% service charge, it's included and already paid for) and the package is $44.95 per day plus 15% service charge, which comes to $51.70 per day. Divide $51.70 by $7.95 and you get 6.5 drinks. Naturally, beers are less than $7.95, same for specialty coffees, hot chocolate, sodas and waters. But, we always find that we usually exceed 6 or 7 drinks in one day (what the heck, you're on vacation, so go for it) so the SBP is always worth it to us. If all you have is a glass or two of wine with dinner, then certainly the SBP is not worth the cost to you.

If you get the SBP as part of Explore-4 or by purchasing it, you are not refunded anything at the end of the cruise. So, with the SBP, you use it or lose it !! And, if you are hearty enough to hit the 15 drink limit in one day, wait until it's 12:01am and the counter resets back to zero. You can check your beverage consumption by heading down to the front desk and use a kiosk to get a printout of your account. You will see your beverages for that day, but later on, those will disappear from your account.

Edited by TAD2005

Perfect answer to the questions above. We took the Drinks package for tht very reason that we would normally drink more than 6 drinks in a day. Word of caution... it does make you drink more!!! We were on a 12 day cruise if it was longer then I would need to consider if my liver could stand it!! (: Great reply from TAD2005

we bought it for our cruise on Eurodam going this Tuesday. Cost 1,250 dollars for the 2 of us for 12 nights.

It was not just because of the price of drinks but the fact that there is another 33% added on in tax and service that is another third and it really pushes up the price of the drinks. Will will also be able to use it for coffees and bottled water

No problem at all with doubles. They just want to be sure you aren't putting them into separate glasses to share with a friend. if your double is in one glass, no problem, they just charge it as 2 drinks.

I see people on CC all the time saying "no way I can drink 15 beverages, so the package is not worth it". The break even point with the SBP is 6 or 7 drinks per day. Anything over that and the drinks are free. A typical drink is $7.95 (and don't worry about the 15% service charge, it's included and already paid for) and the package is $44.95 per day plus 15% service charge, which comes to $51.70 per day. Divide $51.70 by $7.95 and you get 6.5 drinks. Naturally, beers are less than $7.95, same for specialty coffees, hot chocolate, sodas and waters. But, we always find that we usually exceed 6 or 7 drinks in one day (what the heck, you're on vacation, so go for it) so the SBP is always worth it to us. If all you have is a glass or two of wine with dinner, then certainly the SBP is not worth the cost to you.

If you get the SBP as part of Explore-4 or by purchasing it, you are not refunded anything at the end of the cruise. So, with the SBP, you use it or lose it !! And, if you are hearty enough to hit the 15 drink limit in one day, wait until it's 12:01am and the counter resets back to zero. You can check your beverage consumption by heading down to the front desk and use a kiosk to get a printout of your account. You will see your beverages for that day, but later on, those will disappear from your account.

We were on the Eurodam October 2015 and had the Signature Beverage Package via Explore4. Since we were having some problems with the Pinnacle Grill, I would go down nearly every other day to see if corrections were made for the Pinnacle Grill (didn't want to keep bothering the concierges and it was just as easy to go down there and zip my card through the Kiosk). Never did any drinks show up on any day.

This must be something new that has started.

We were on the Eurodam October 2015 and had the Signature Beverage Package via Explore4. Since we were having some problems with the Pinnacle Grill, I would go down nearly every other day to see if corrections were made for the Pinnacle Grill (didn't want to keep bothering the concierges and it was just as easy to go down there and zip my card through the Kiosk). Never did any drinks show up on any day.

This must be something new that has started.

We saw the daily beverage consumption on our recent Zuiderdam cruise of 28 days. The SBP was part of Explore-4. We also had some cabin credit problems, and we did notice that all of our drinks were listed, and then reversed out, but only on the daily accounting. When we got the final report at the segment end, all drinks disappeared.