Specialty Restaurant Reservations

ccbee

I booked my cruise as a Grand Voyage Miami to Rome, April 10 to May 11, 2017. This cruise is also listed as a possible BTB. If I had booked as a BTB, I think I would have received 1 Reservation for each segment of the cruise for each Specialty Restaurants or a total of 8 reservations (Veranda cabin).

My questions is: Since I booked the cruise as a Grand Voyage, do I still get the 8 reservations or do I only get 4?

Flo

We were on a GV in December (20 days total). We received 8 total. I was able to book all 8 as soon as we were eligible (concierge class), however I have heard others that took GV's early this year that were only able to book 4 initially, then later on board booked the other 4. But you will get 8 total.

Here are the facts from O website (red highlighting mine):

How many dining reservations am I allowed in each specialty restaurant?

Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category and length of cruise:

Marina and Riviera

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant

Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Penthouse Suite

Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Assuming that you are in a cabin below PH on the Marina/Riviera, then you can have only 4 reservations (1 in each restaurant)

That said, extra reservations are often relatively easy to get on longer cruises - especially if you are flexible with time (later is easier) and table size (sharing is easier).

Good luck and enjoy.

PS Yes - if you had booked it as a B2B then you would be entitled to 8 reservations

Edited by Paulchili

May I be a contrarian and say that we rarely use all the reservations we are entitled to? We just aren't than enthralled with all of the specialty restaurants. (If on an "O" ship at least there are more choices.)

So you may find as well that you are happy with other options once you are on board.

There are people who avoid the Grand Dining Room, but we aren't among them. We like the variety of menus offered. The specialty restaurants have set menus, and if you are on a month-long cruise you might well decide that you prefer the GDR or Terrace as well.

Have a great cruise!

Mura

On the only Grand Voyage we've been on I expected to only get 4 reservations. We were pleasantly surprised when it came time to book and we got 8, which if booked as a B2B you would get.

I guess you'll see when it's your time to book.

Here are the facts from O website (red highlighting mine):

How many dining reservations am I allowed in each specialty restaurant?

Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category and length of cruise:

Marina and Riviera

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant

Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Penthouse Suite

Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Assuming that you are in a cabin below PH on the Marina/Riviera, then you can have only 4 reservations (1 in each restaurant)

That said, extra reservations are often relatively easy to get on longer cruises - especially if you are flexible with time (later is easier) and table size (sharing is easier).

Good luck and enjoy.

PS Yes - if you had booked it as a B2B then you would be entitled to 8 reservations

Actually, for Grand Voyages, the specialty reservations are treated as two cruises with the understanding that you must book each cruises total reservations within the dates of that cruise segment (I.e., you can't do all of the reservations during one segment. Now, if O would only do the same thing for the prestige alcohol package so you wouldn't have to commit for the total Grand Voyage and could decide to purchase or not for each segment.

Dont get too stressed as to how many specialty reservations you are entitled to . In reality there is a podium inside Terrace Cafe at breakfast and lunch and you can book any spare space on a daily basis once on board , irrespective of the pecking order.

Many passengers do not use their quota in the specialty restaurants as frankly Toscana leaves a lot to be desired . Toscana is not a genuine Italian restaurant rather what Oceania thinks an Italian restaurant might be like . The menu contains traditional Italian dishes like Colorado rack of lamb & New York Cheesecake !!!!! Princess does a much better Italian specialty restaurant in Sabatinis .

With Oceania however the POLO Grill is excellent albeit the meat portions are far too large for normal eaters .

Edited by kuldalai

Actually, for Grand Voyages, the specialty reservations are treated as two cruises with the understanding that you must book each cruises total reservations within the dates of that cruise segment (I.e., you can't do all of the reservations during one segment.

Good to know. It makes more sense.

I haven't taken a Grand Voyage as we always break it down to B2B.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mura: I’m sure we will enjoy the GDR. On other lines, we always ate in the GDR as didn’t want to pay extra for the Specialty restaurants and were very rarely disappointed. Hearing how wonderful the food is on O, I’m sure we’ll be very happy.

Flatbush Flyer: I have marked the second date on my calendar when I can try to get the additional reservations.

Kuldalai: I’m really not stressed, just trying to learn the rules since I’ve never sailed O before. Having the option to try to get a reservation on a daily basis is really great because we can first check the MDR menu for the day to make sure we are not missing something we would really like.

Flo

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mura: I’m sure we will enjoy the GDR. On other lines, we always ate in the GDR as didn’t want to pay extra for the Specialty restaurants and were very rarely disappointed. Hearing how wonderful the food is on O, I’m sure we’ll be very happy.

Flatbush Flyer: I have marked the second date on my calendar when I can try to get the additional reservations.

Kuldalai: I’m really not stressed, just trying to learn the rules since I’ve never sailed O before. Having the option to try to get a reservation on a daily basis is really great because we can first check the MDR menu for the day to make sure we are not missing something we would really like.

Flo

Let me clarify: on a "grand voyage," you can book all the reservations on the first pre-cruise reservation date. But, you have to make sure that each segment has its own max (e.g., 4 during segment 1 and 4 during segment 2).

May I be a contrarian and say that we rarely use all the reservations we are entitled to? We just aren't than enthralled with all of the specialty restaurants. (If on an "O" ship at least there are more choices.)

So you may find as well that you are happy with other options once you are on board.

There are people who avoid the Grand Dining Room, but we aren't among them. We like the variety of menus offered. The specialty restaurants have set menus, and if you are on a month-long cruise you might well decide that you prefer the GDR or Terrace as well.

Have a great cruise!

Mura

I love Mura's post because I agree. We enjoy the daily variety and creativity in the GD. And anyway, there are usually several dishes from the specialty restaurants on the GD menu. If you live in a major U.S. city, you have access to a zillion steak houses of the same ilk as Polo Grill. And we don't eat steak that much, so it's just not a big deal to us. (If you live in a smaller town, however, I can totally understand the appeal.)

As long as it fish it can be on a rack. Loved RedGinger my one Ocesnia cruise . Looking forward to it again ..and the DR as someone who gets in general,a PH cabin on any ship I know I would not like the smaller cabin.

I love Mura's post because I agree. We enjoy the daily variety and creativity in the GD. And anyway, there are usually several dishes from the specialty restaurants on the GD menu. If you live in a major U.S. city, you have access to a zillion steak houses of the same ilk as Polo Grill. And we don't eat steak that much, so it's just not a big deal to us. (If you live in a smaller town, however, I can totally understand the appeal.)

Us poor small town people, we just don't know anything about good food. :rolleyes:

As long as it fish it can be on a rack. Loved RedGinger my one Ocesnia cruise . Looking forward to it again ..and the DR as someone who gets in general,a PH cabin on any ship I know I would not like the smaller cabin.

Say what now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellbon

Say what now?

That's big town talk - you poor small town people wouldn't understand it :D

Us poor small town people, we just don't know anything about good food. :rolleyes:

Say what now?

Some of our best meals have come in small town restaurants. Good fresh cooking beats a lot of these big city places. One size does not fit all. :):)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellbon

That's big town talk - you poor small town people wouldn't understand it :D

i do not eat lamb- very little 4 legged animals. so a rack could be a [plate, wooden board etc.. could care less as long as no lamb.