Alaska on a Budget? Affordable things to do in port.

raynne

I'm excited and panicking all at the same time. Have paid deposit for Alaska cruise and now worried about how much the final cost will be. Flights and cruise already is not cheap, along with pre cruise holiday.

Is it possible to "do" Alaska without spending thousands of dollars on tours. There are 5 of us so the cost of tours adds up quickly. We are visiting Victoria, Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau. Please help with suggestions and help calm me down. Traveling the last week of June on Island Princess and will probably be our one and only trip to Alaska - which is why I am panicking, don't want to miss out on the 'real' Alaska by cutting costs. Maybe we should have waited until it was just the 2 of us.

Car rentals can be a huge savings for 5 people. You can grab a rental in ports from $75-$130/day so your per person cost is minimal. You can search for options in each port to do with a car. Also nice to do at least one or two excursion like a whale watch it that’s something that interests you.

A very few things to do by car…

Victoria-Butchart Gardens and possibly the Butterfly Gardens.

Ketchikan-There is a city bus that will take you to both totem pole parks. Costs $1.

Skagway-WPYR Railroad is a wonderful excursion although with a rental you can drive to Carcross and Emerald Lake.

Juneau-Drive to Mendenhall Glacier, Shrine of St Therese, Eagle Beach. Lots more activities by car as well.

I do agree renting a car is a very good way to save money. And another way to save money is to keep checking back for lower prices on the cruise before the final payment. As long as you haven't paid in full you can get the lower prices when advertised.

Frugaltravel, 2 adults 50, 2 late teens and 10 year old. Happy to hike, history, nature, culture stuff. Coming from Qld, Australia it will be very different environment, history and culture so looking forward to that aspect. DH would love to kayak up to the glacier so that might have to be "the" excursion.

Harleysmuma, unfortunately can't take advantage of the price drops.:-(

Glaciers - tips like the bus to the totem pole parks is the type of thing I am after - 10 yr old is going to love the totems.

How easy is it to hire cars from the ports?

Be sure to compare prices of booking excursions through the cruise line and on your own. For example for 3 of us, Myself, DW and 6yo DD we were able to save around $300 booking things on our own. We saved $150 booking the Deadliest Crab tour in Skagway on our own and we also save about $150 booking the White Pass RR trip to Carcross through Chillkoot Charters over the ship.

Also remember you have just under a year so you still have time to budget and spread payments out so they don't hit all around the same time. A lot of times we look at the total payment of everything together and it's overwhelming. But if you have already made your flight reservations they will be paid off sooner then the cruise will. You have also made your deposit so those will be out of the way and paid off if you know what I mean.

To add to Glaciers list there is also the Mt Roberts Tram in Juneau that is right downtown and you can walk to that or take a shuttle bus depending on the dock.

If you do book rental cars (not just Alaska but anywhere) be sure to keep checking back on the websites and if the price goes down you can usually rebook at the lower price with out penalty.

Frugaltravel, 2 adults 50, 2 late teens and 10 year old. Happy to hike, history, nature, culture stuff. Coming from Qld, Australia it will be very different environment, history and culture so looking forward to that aspect. DH would love to kayak up to the glacier so that might have to be "the" excursion.

Harleysmuma, unfortunately can't take advantage of the price drops.:-(

Glaciers - tips like the bus to the totem pole parks is the type of thing I am after - 10 yr old is going to love the totems.

This is in Skagway and receives better reviews than Juneau/Mendenhall trip:

http://skagwayshoretours.com/tour/glacier-point-wilderness-safari/

Ketchikan is all about Totem poles. There are 2 places to go (Saxmen and Totem Bight) plus a museum in town that is inexpensive.

If you are interested in driving to Emerald Lake in the Yukon, you will need to reserve a car well in advance from Avis rent a car. This is a beautiful drive.

Be sure to compare prices of booking excursions through the cruise line and on your own. For example for 3 of us, Myself, DW and 6yo DD we were able to save around $300 booking things on our own. We saved $150 booking the Deadliest Crab tour in Skagway on our own and we also save about $150 booking the White Pass RR trip to Carcross through Chillkoot Charters over the ship.

Also remember you have just under a year so you still have time to budget and spread payments out so they don't hit all around the same time. A lot of times we look at the total payment of everything together and it's overwhelming. But if you have already made your flight reservations they will be paid off sooner then the cruise will. You have also made your deposit so those will be out of the way and paid off if you know what I mean.

To add to Glaciers list there is also the Mt Roberts Tram in Juneau that is right downtown and you can walk to that or take a shuttle bus depending on the dock.

If you do book rental cars (not just Alaska but anywhere) be sure to keep checking back on the websites and if the price goes down you can usually rebook at the lower price with out penalty.

The Deadliest Crab Tour is in Ketchikan...We've done this tour twice and loved it...agree this is a tour you should book directly on their website.

My strategies....

• look for "Best of...." combo excursions
  • avoid marine and flight excursions
  • avoid speciality dining
  • look for cruise lines with photo packages

Honestly - I disagree with you. Many of us could care less of photo packages -we discussed this on another thread and on that thread, you were the only one who thought this was a plus if I remember correctly. Some thought you spent way too much money on photos if they exceeded the cost of the cruise.

I think the "best of combo excursions" are a waste. Just my opinion.

Though -to each their own.

Edited by Coral

Easy to do but as harleysmama noted, rent early, months in advance. Not so easy to just walk up and expect a car to be available. You may have 10,000 other cruisers in port with you in a town that has half that many people as residents. If renting with the major rental agencies you’ll be able to change if the rate goes down or even cancel without penalty. The ones we’ve used allow changes or cancelations up to 24 hours prior without penalty but you should check on that.

You can also check into coupon booklets. There are several. A couple are Toursaver and Northernlights Coupon books for Alaska. They list the vendors on their websites so you can check to see if there is any interest in the tours, restaurants, etc. Many discounts/2 for 1 deals. You need to know too that space can be limited with those deals.

In Juneau there is a new Alaska state museum walking distance from the pier that we plan to visit. $12 admission, free for youth. In Victoria it is fun to just walk around, or ride the water taxis on the harbor. Beacon Hill park is close to the ship pier, beautiful, and free.

Honestly - I disagree with you. Many of us could care less of photo packages -we discussed this on another thread and on that thread, you were the only one who thought this was a plus if I remember correctly. Some thought you spent way too much money on photos if they exceeded the cost of the cruise.

I think the "best of combo excursions" are a waste. Just my opinion.

Though -to each their own.

We try to avoid the ship photographers as much as possible! :D After buying a few photos on my early cruises, now we get them only if they are free - due to our cruise status (on RCI).

I rented a car in Juneau on my last Alaska cruise (2011), and we drove to Glacier Gardens (2-for-1 coupon), Mendenhall Glacier, and the Shrine of St. Therese.

After a disappointing Misty Fjords flight in Ketchikan on our first cruise, we have done much less expensive tours in Ketchikan on subsequent cruises. I had a 2-for-1 coupon for kayaking one year, and we did the Duck tour another. Ketchikan is a great walking town.

We did the rail/bus tour to Emerald Lake out of Skagway with Chilkoot Charters. Dyea Dave offers a similar tour, as does Frontier Excursions (without the train). There is a free National Park Service walking tour in Skagway: https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

while in Skagway, get a rental car and drive up to Yukon. The scenery is unparalleled. The highlight of our previous trip is the Emerald lake

Is it worthwhile to attempt both in one day? Note to OP, we are a group of six, so we rented a van in Skagway for 250 so we can go where we want. Also planning lots of free hiking! In Victoria, I found a groupon for a hop on/ hop off bus for $16 a person.

Don't follow my lead. For our first Alaska cruise next month our activity total for the two of us is up over $1800. :eek: :p

That's about what I estimate my excursions will cost for my solo b2b cruises next May!

Is it worthwhile to attempt both in one day? Note to OP, we are a group of six, so we rented a van in Skagway for 250 so we can go where we want. Also planning lots of free hiking! In Victoria, I found a groupon for a hop on/ hop off bus for $16 a person.

Emerald Lake is in the Yukon Territory, and it's easy to do that in one day.

Happy to hike

It is easy and very affordable to take the city bus service to Mendenhall Glacier viewpoint but involves 1.5 mile walk (each way) from the bus stop to the visitor center on a paved pathway away from the road. On a pleasant day it would be a nice walk. What we also like about the city bus is meeting locals rather than hanging out all the time with shipmates. Route 3.

Along the way (either going or coming back) Glacier Gardens is an interesting place (even teens will find it unique) and admission is a fraction of the ship arranged tours to the same place. The view from on top of the hill is great too. If none of the party have been deep into a temperate rainforest (the largest in the world) it could be pretty educational too. $25/pp adults - $16 ages 6-12.

The Deadliest Crab Tour is in Ketchikan...We've done this tour twice and loved it...agree this is a tour you should book directly on their website.

DOH!!! I knew that. That's what I get for posting an hour after I am normally in bed. :eek: Thank you for pointing that out Ashland. Would hate for someone to look for that tour and thinking it's in Skagway and have iot screw up their plans.

We loved the Crab Tour. It ended up being my wife's most favorite thing of our cruise when the Bald Eagles were fed. I would definitely think of doing it again the next time we cruise Alaska

It is easy and very affordable to take the city bus service to Mendenhall Glacier viewpoint but involves 1.5 mile walk (each way) from the bus stop to the visitor center on a paved pathway away from the road. On a pleasant day it would be a nice walk. What we also like about the city bus is meeting locals rather than hanging out all the time with shipmates. Route 3.

Along the way (either going or coming back) Glacier Gardens is an interesting place (even teens will find it unique) and admission is a fraction of the ship arranged tours to the same place. The view from on top of the hill is great too. If none of the party have been deep into a temperate rainforest (the largest in the world) it could be pretty educational too. $25/pp adults - $16 ages 6-12.

I am glad you brought this up. I also am looking at public transportation up to Mendenhall. Thought it would be fun to meet locals and see some other parts of town.

I too always use the city bus. It will also stop at Fred Meyer in case you forgot something. It stops at the bottom of the hill down from the hospital. This is about a 1/2 from Salmon Creek. At low tied when the salmon are spawning this is a great place to see the eagles feeding on them. And it is just neat to drive through Juneau's neighborhoods. One time I even saw a bear from the bus. Just remember that it is $2 each time you exit then enter the bus.