help me plan

A girlfriend just asked me to go with her on a cruise, she has never cruised and on a tight budget. I have only cruised a few times but always stay jr suite or better and 4 star hotels. I have accepted the fact we will be in an inside cabin. We have to sail between Sept 12 and Sept 16 due to her vacation availability. The budget is around $1000.

Ideas?

What departure port are you near? I'm guessing your wanting the Eastern or Western Caribbean?

We are in Iowa and driving her Fiat 500 so travel cost will be low, I'm guessing Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Port Canaveral will be the only options...

Oh and it doesn't HAVE to be Royal but prefer.

Based on your dates 9/12-9/16 ...4-5 days total including driving time? Not likely to happen...not easily, anyway.

Not total, we could start driving Saturday late afternoon, Sept 10 and have to be home Sun Sept 18, but I figure we are probably 24 hrs from any port, give or take.

You will need to figure in a hotel stay, both ways (at least, I would!), and meals on the road...gas...

I agree that a different sort of vacation is in order. Just not enough time for a good cruise. the short cruises are pretty limited to the Bahamas area...while not Iowa, it's not the Caribbean!

4 NIGHT BAHAMAS CRUISE

Leaving from: Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida

Cruising On

MAJESTY

OF THE SEAS

DEPARTURE

SEP 12

MONDAY

RETURN

SEP 16

FRIDAY

SELECTED ROOM

Interior Stateroom Guarantee$856.00

Change stateroom category

2 adults View Pricing by Guest

30% Savings-$258.00

PAYMENT SUMMARY

Subtotal: $598.00

Taxes & Fees $161.20

Total$759.20

4 nights out of Port Canaveral for $800. It's an inside, you could spend a little more and get an oceanview but if your trying to stay at around $1000 I figured the other $200 for gas.

4 NIGHT BAHAMAS CRUISE

Leaving from: Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida

Cruising On

MAJESTY

OF THE SEAS

DEPARTURE

SEP 12

MONDAY

RETURN

SEP 16

FRIDAY

SELECTED ROOM

Superior Ocean View Stateroom$1,140.00

Deck 9 , Room 9516 Edit

2 adults View Pricing by Guest

30% Savings-$342.00

PAYMENT SUMMARY

Subtotal: $798.00

Taxes & Fees $161.20

Total$959.20

Superior Ocean view on deck 9.

Edited by Lordnlkon

Less that 4hrs differnce between Galveston and Miami.....leaning towards

5 Night Key West & Cozumel Cruise

Leaving from: Miami, Florida

Cruising On

Empress

of the Seas

Departure

Sep 12

Monday

Return

Sep 17

Saturday

Selected Room

• Interior Stateroom $770.00
    • Deck 8 , Room 8029 Edit
    • 2 adults View Pricing by Guest
    • 30% Savings -$232.00

Payment Summary

• Subtotal: $538.00
  • Taxes & Fees $204.56

• Total $742.56

An inside cabin isn't bad, and if you're planning to spend time enjoying your friend then you won't likely be in the room much. It's not a big deal to downgrade a little in order to accommodate the budget, especially since you're planning a short cruise.

However, I would take some time to decide if you are spending time and money out of obligation, or if it's because you genuinely want to go do something fun with your friend, who doesn't have the same time and money that you do. From the way you worded your post, it sounds like you're already a little resentful that you have to drive in her little car to a short cruise on a ship you probably aren't excited about and go to some islands you wouldn't choose if it was up to you, and if that's the case, this trip is probably a bad idea.

I think with the right attitude, you could go and have a great time, and I think you're being a really nice friend in considering the option so that you can go with your friend. Just try not to make her feel badly that she can't afford to do the trip you'd prefer, and if you feel you'll resent the trip, I would be honest and tell her you don't want to go. Or you could suggest getting a couple more friends who can go so that you can each choose the room and travel method you're each comfortable with. Maybe another friend can drive with her, and stay in her room, and you can fly and stay in a different room.

I've taken trips with friends before who couldn't afford what I wanted to do, and I've either footed the whole bill or paid the difference without them knowing, so if that's an option you can always do that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I'm not resentful at all. I kid about the tiny Fiat 500 but my husband actually drives one too and I drive a Cadillac :) Originally she asked to go to Disneyworld (another of my passions)but decided that was more expensive that a cruise.

We may come up with something I wouldn't normally chose but maybe I will see something new that I love.

It will still be fun and I know I will be in the RFS on the Indy next April

I'm not resentful at all. I kid about the tiny Fiat 500 but my husband actually drives one too and I drive a Cadillac :) Originally she asked to go to Disneyworld (another of my passions)but decided that was more expensive that a cruise.

We may come up with something I wouldn't normally chose but maybe I will see something new that I love.

It will still be fun and I know I will be in the RFS on the Indy next April

Well that's good. I think it's nice of you to be her travel buddy so she can have the experience and build a memory, and I'm sure she appreciates your willingness to join her. You will have a good time because it's a trip, and it will give you experiences you wouldn't normally have, which might give you some new insights. I hope you find a good cruise match and that you have a really fun time with your friend :)

Why don't you just pay the airfare since you can afford it and also an upgrade on the stateroom?

She won't allow it. She is insisting on 50/50 split and no one is paying her way. She says if she can't afford it she won't go so I need to work in her budget.

She won't allow it. She is insisting on 50/50 split and no one is paying her way. She says if she can't afford it she won't go so I need to work in her budget.

Would she agree to accepting the airfare as a loan that she must pay back to you? Seems silly to drive all that way for such a short cruise,...you will be very tired, I would think for the first part of the cruise. Good luck...I hope you work it out.:)

I think I found something that will work. It's a 4 day out of Miami on carnival (ugh) we can drive Saturday and Sunday , cruise Monday-Friday and drive Friday and Saturday. Then rest at home on Sunday. And keep it in her budget and that's even in an ocean view cabin.

I think I found something that will work. It's a 4 day out of Miami on carnival (ugh) we can drive Saturday and Sunday , cruise Monday-Friday and drive Friday and Saturday. Then rest at home on Sunday. And keep it in her budget and that's even in an ocean view cabin.

Sounds good. Probably will be some good memories later.

I do not have extremely high expectations as I realize that what I am used to. But on the other side of it I do expect to still have fun. Part of the fun I think will be just seeing my friend have a good time. She will appreciate it a lot as she has not been as fortunate as me and she is worked very hard to save the money to do this. I am far from judgmental and if we have to go thrifty style thrifty style it is