Getaway going?

My "thing" is we had SUCH a great time on Getaway we decided we wanted to try Eastern/Escape. But I have one week open between commitments.

I think we'll move our goal to 2018. Hopefully they'll release summer 2018 in another few months (?) and I can secure a plan... Or look elsewhere.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one surprised. I really thought I had understood it to be in Miami ship from the get-go!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are twenty-some dining options on Getaway. The one you mentioned isn't even open dinner hours. It's a mini-buffet, for crying out loud. You'd honestly cancel a cruise because one of those twenty-some options is changing? I LOVE Flamingo Grill, but it was far from being the entire central focus of my vacation. No restaurant ever is.

Large, I tend to agree with you but people have been cancelling cruises over less: water and coke! :D I would not cancel a cruise over any of the above if I really wanted to go. And I do plan to go to the Baltic on the Getaway in September 2017! I think it would be wonderful!

Edited by Seminole1975

Okay. Now it is me who is late to the discussion. I did not know they were changing the Flamingo Grill to Margaritaville! Just booked on the Getaway for November and was looking forward to the Cuban food at the Flamingo:( Does anyone know when that change is to happen. Hopefully not before November!!

I feel the same way, I have heard such good things about the Flamingo Grill and was looking forward to trying it. Also disappointed that it is being replaced with an a la carte venue. I guess I'll get my fill of Margaritaville on my cruise with this venue and Land Shark's at Harvest Caye lol. :p

Why would you think your opinions supercede those of the person affected by this change ??? Not logical !!!

Um, what? Are you even on this planet? I gave a different opinion. That is what you are arguing should be allowed, right? Good grief. Thanks for thinking it supercedes the other. I hadn't looked at it that way, but I appreciate you elevating my words.

I feel the same way, I have heard such good things about the Flamingo Grill and was looking forward to trying it. Also disappointed that it is being replaced with an a la carte venue. I guess I'll get my fill of Margaritaville on my cruise with this venue and Land Shark's at Harvest Caye lol. :p

It really wasn't a grill or restaurant. It's just the outside portion of the ship's buffet. Hot dogs. Hamburgers. A sampling of Cuban dishes. Underutilized because the inside buffet has a much, much larger selection of international dishes. And was only open during the day. You are not missing anything.

It really wasn't a grill or restaurant. It's just the outside portion of the ship's buffet. Hot dogs. Hamburgers. A sampling of Cuban dishes. Underutilized because the inside buffet has a much, much larger selection of international dishes. And was only open during the day. You are not missing anything.

Strongly disagree with your ongoing attempt to downplay the awesomeness of Flamingo Grill.

You can get curry and stir-fries on any cruise ship.

Why would you think your opinions supercede those of the person affected by this change ??? Not logical !!!

I agree with you on this. The OP should not be reprimanded for expressing disappointment on believing they are purchasing one thing and getting another.

It is rude, disparaging and disrespectful.

As one monitor told me, utilize the triangle. :)

Still sad it is being replaced with another a la carte dining experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still sad it is being replaced with another a la carte dining experience.

If you are going into Miami early, try Puerto Sagua Restaurant. I can't vouch for it, because I hate Cuban food, by my friends go there whenever they are in Miami.

If you are going into Miami early, try Puerto Sagua Restaurant. I can't vouch for it, because I hate Cuban food, by my friends go there whenever they are in Miami.

I'll look into it thanks will be in Miami the day before and going to dinner with people from the roll call.

Looking at your signature, doesn't appear you have been on the GA or BA. The flamingo grill is an under utilized outdoor extension of the buffet. On the GA they added a selection of Cuban-ish items to the normal selections of hot dogs and hamburgers. Still a wide variety of international foods on the main buffet line. The switch to an branded restaurant will better utilize the space and draw more people to this outside dining.

Except Margaritaville is a pay venue. So your losing an included option and the replacement now cost $$$$.

We tried Margaritaville on the Escape. We still had the original UDP - so it was included for us. But it wasn't that great - and wasn't even open all that much. Glad we didn't pay for the "experience" - because it wasn't worth any extra money to us.

It really wasn't a grill or restaurant. It's just the outside portion of the ship's buffet. Hot dogs. Hamburgers. A sampling of Cuban dishes. Underutilized because the inside buffet has a much, much larger selection of international dishes. And was only open during the day. You are not missing anything.[/quote

The Flamingo Grill meant more to us than that. We booked 3 Getaways that year in part due to how much we enjoyed this venue. Having a covered outdoor venue that wasn't as crowded as the buffet was part of it. Breakfasts here were much more enjoyable than wading through the crowds in the buffet. Then getting to eat breakfast outdoors in the fresh air was fantastic. Other might enjoy the greater variety in the buffet, but we loved the on deck venue with less choices but very tasty one.

Now let me tell you about how much the lunches there meant to us. We can't get Cuban food where we live and discovered we love it. The fried plantains, Latino burgers and pastries were something we looked forward to for our future cruises. When we are on the ocean, we would rather have a burger on deck than go into the 'air-conditioned' buffet. Just our preferences and we really enjoyed that this was a complimentary venue.

On the Escape we gave Margaritaville a try but were disappointed. And we have paid for the MGville experience on land several times and enjoyed it for what it was, but this wasn't it for us. If they lowered the price of the MG food we might try it again as we love the open-air venue, but if I'm paying extra for lunch on board I'd much rather go to Food Republic.

Sand and Seas, I know we've ended up on the FG threads at the same time before (and I believe we're on the same Escape sailing), but thanks for putting it into better words than I could.

I can't get Cuban food where I live either, but I grew up eating it and miss it. (In addition to the plantains, I loved the grilled chicken and black beans and rice, and the breakfast pastries.) They really had something special, and it was well utilized in June.

I for one am glad she is going to Europe next year. I get to do a Baltics cruise and take advantage of the studio cabins. Much cheaper for me (as a solo), and I did price everyithg form inside to a balcony ( :eek: ) for one person and this was the best option for me $$$$$ wise.

Sand and Seas, I know we've ended up on the FG threads at the same time before (and I believe we're on the same Escape sailing), but thanks for putting it into better words than I could.

I can't get Cuban food where I live either, but I grew up eating it and miss it. (In addition to the plantains, I loved the grilled chicken and black beans and rice, and the breakfast pastries.) They really had something special, and it was well utilized in June.

We will be on the Escape in mid-October, but doubt we will visit the Margaritaville venue unless something changes there. You'll find us at Food Republic for our favorite lunches on board.

As soon as we got home from our first Getaway we booked another couple of cruises on her. My friend is from Ecuador and said her grandmother always cooked her plantains (maduros) like FG's. And we can't get those pastries anywhere else where we live either! Guess our June Getaway was our last good chance at enjoying the Flamingo Grill:(

Sand and Seas - you worded it perfectly - it doesn't matter if I could still get the food in the buffet - it was eating up on the open deck that in addition to the food that added to the fun. I love the Sun, too, and I prefer the Great Outdoors to the main buffet on that ship also - even if the selection is smaller.

We will be on the Escape in mid-October, but doubt we will visit the Margaritaville venue unless something changes there. You'll find us at Food Republic for our favorite lunches on board.

As soon as we got home from our first Getaway we booked another couple of cruises on her. My friend is from Ecuador and said her grandmother always cooked her plantains (maduros) like FG's. And we can't get those pastries anywhere else where we live either! Guess our June Getaway was our last good chance at enjoying the Flamingo Grill:(

Oh weird, what was your June GA sailing? I was on the 6/5. My Escape is the 10/14. I am also the most excited about Food Republic, will likely be the main upcharge they get from me.

To put it bluntly, my parents are "Parrotheads", so much so that they dragged me to Florida as a kid (I much preferred the school and state where I grew up), then moved to the Keys and opened ... A Mexican restaurant. As a result, I literally could not be less interested in Margaritaville, but I'm also the family black sheep (so it goes).

Every now and then I buy some plantains from the market and let them ripen for weeks and try to fry them up, but it's just never the same. :)

Edited by AdoraBelle

Oh weird, what was your June GA sailing? I was on the 6/5. My Escape is the 10/14. I am also the most excited about Food Republic, will likely be the main upcharge they get from me.

:)

We were on GA June 5th too! It was our first (and maybe last) Haven so we hung out there quite a bit. Had a great time but will be going back to regular cabins for the foreseeable future. Would rather be able to keep cruising four times a year ;)

We will be on the Escape the same week as you too. Haven't gotten on the roll-call yet. We are in the middle of kitchen remodel that had better be done soon so I can get back to being on top of my planning!

Also have January & June 2017 cruises booked along with a March on the Dawn out of NOLA. (Good food there too!)

We were on GA June 5th too! It was our first (and maybe last) Haven so we hung out there quite a bit. Had a great time but will be going back to regular cabins for the foreseeable future. Would rather be able to keep cruising four times a year ;)

We will be on the Escape the same week as you too. Haven't gotten on the roll-call yet. We are in the middle of kitchen remodel that had better be done soon so I can get back to being on top of my planning!

Also have January & June 2017 cruises booked along with a March on the Dawn out of NOLA. (Good food there too!)

I've been eyeballing one of the Dawn / 2017 / NOLA sailings. I swear I'm not stalking you.

I can't remember if I'm signed up for either roll call. Probably Escape, because I had some reservation weirdness.

(Last time I went to a M&G it turned out one of my roll call members was someone I'd been gently mocking on my live trip report because she'd been screaming at a bartender about her loyalty status. Awkward.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

I've been eyeballing one of the Dawn / 2017 / NOLA sailings. I swear I'm not stalking you.

I can't remember if I'm signed up for either roll call. Probably Escape, because I had some reservation weirdness.

(Last time I went to a M&G it turned out one of my roll call members was someone I'd been gently mocking on my live trip report because she'd been screaming at a bartender about her loyalty status. Awkward.)

Wow! Never had a bartender that I felt the need to yell at. And if I did, wouldn't want them to make me a drink after that..... What in the world was she thinking? I missed the Escape M&G as we were being lazier than usual that cruise. Didn't even get off the ship in port:cool:

Sand and Seas - you worded it perfectly - it doesn't matter if I could still get the food in the buffet - it was eating up on the open deck that in addition to the food that added to the fun. I love the Sun, too, and I prefer the Great Outdoors to the main buffet on that ship also - even if the selection is smaller.

Questions -

Are there any other places to eat outside (with chairs & tables) besides in the vicinity of the Flamingo Grill/Margaritaville area?

I know this is speculation, but will the seating near Margaritaville be limited to only those patrons, or will people from the buffet be able to bring their plates over to that area? [What is it like on other ships - do MV patrons and buffet people share the same area?]

Sorry, I am an NCL newbie and trying to gather the information.

Thanks!

Questions -

Are there any other places to eat outside (with chairs & tables) besides in the vicinity of the Flamingo Grill/Margaritaville area?

I know this is speculation, but will the seating near Margaritaville be limited to only those patrons, or will people from the buffet be able to bring their plates over to that area? [What is it like on other ships - do MV patrons and buffet people share the same area?]

Sorry, I am an NCL newbie and trying to gather the information.

Thanks!

I don't think there is any other outdoor venue on Escape, Breakaway or Getaway. We have been on all three and on each the outdoor grill area is already a Margaritaville or scheduled to become one.

On the Escape they had a host/hostess to seat you so I don't think you could easily bring a plate a food from the buffet which is one floor down. Maybe someone has tried that and can answer?

The smaller ships have always had an outdoor grill area at lunch with burgers, salads, etc. That's why we are so sad to lose these on the 'Away ships and Escape. Who wants to go inside to the 'air-conditioned' buffet when we have been out enjoying the fresh sea air. To me the point of a cruise is to be enjoying the ocean.

Edited by Sand and Seas
correction

Disagreeing is not as much a problem as attempting to ridicule other posters. That you seem to do very well.

I'm sorry if you take it that way. I sometimes forget that people have different levels of sensitivity, and on a message board, it's hard to talk baby talk and tiptoe like in real life.

Oops, did I do it again? *awkward*

Edited by LrgPizza

I'm on very thin ice here and going by memory (will never find the post again), but I *think* I remember someone saying recently that buffet personnel on their Escape sailing were encouraging people to take their buffet food to eat at the MV tables. At the time I wondered if they were trying to make the MV appear more full, but maybe it was happening during breakfast hours or something.

I'm on very thin ice here and going by memory (will never find the post again), but I *think* I remember someone saying recently that buffet personnel on their Escape sailing were encouraging people to take their buffet food to eat at the MV tables. At the time I wondered if they were trying to make the MV appear more full, but maybe it was happening during breakfast hours or something.

I remember reading that, too. Like you, I can't remember exactly where or when though.