Top chef menu...what do you think?

kevinyork

IMHO the menu looks great - tuna and redfish for me! i guess there is no way of knowing if its on your cruise beforehand?

I think this is the second, and current, menu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've noticed the "Top Chef Challenge" seems to be losing interest on the ships in the last year or two. Maybe its time for Celebrity to reevaluate the partnership with Bravo and Top Chef...

Interesting thread. One reason I wanted to try Celebrity was because of its Top Chef branding. (The only other X cruise I have done was the first Top Chef-themed cruise which I guess doesn't really count as a Celebrity cruise but I did really enjoy it since I am a bit of a Top Chef addict.)

But anyway, what kind of Top Chef things occur on a regular Celebrity cruise (besides the themed dinner? Will be doing a 14 day cruise to SE Asia in early 2017.)

Thanks!

RK

Nothing I've ever noticed on the ex UK cruises on Eclipse. We only get the Menu, that's enough. But I suppose on a UK cruise a Top Chef themed cruise / activities makes as much sense as a British Bake Off themed cruise from Miami

Edited by DYKWIA

Top Chef menu appeared to be the same on Summit 1/16 and Eq 7/16

Agree it was one of, if not the, weakest menus in MDR when we sailed Summit. Also second that this is a menu & collaboration they could lose and it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Edited by jb008

Interesting thread. One reason I wanted to try Celebrity was because of its Top Chef branding. (The only other X cruise I have done was the first Top Chef-themed cruise which I guess doesn't really count as a Celebrity cruise but I did really enjoy it since I am a bit of a Top Chef addict.)

But anyway, what kind of Top Chef things occur on a regular Celebrity cruise (besides the themed dinner? Will be doing a 14 day cruise to SE Asia in early 2017.)

Thanks!

RK

They will select 4 people to work in teams of 2 and have a "Quickfire Challenge". The winners of the first contest are paired with a chef and prepare a dish that is judged by 3 passengers. The Executive Chef will answer questions as the dish is prepared. Differs slightly from ship to ship. On longer cruises they might split the program into two sessions.

The winner usually receives a dinner at a Specialty Restaurant. Contest usually takes place towards to end of the cruise. Usually held in the Theater, but on my last cruise it was held in Celebrity Central which had ample space for the audience.

• 4 weeks later...
Menu looked pretty good to me. Many things I'd pick. Now if they taste that good, we'll see.

We thought the same thing! And being Top Chef fans were excited to try it back in May on our Alaska cruise.

It was so bad, I had the redfish and it was covered in so much stuff and whatever that it was downright gross. We are NOT picky eaters and we like to try new things but seriously this was BAD. :eek:

We will be going to Tuscan that night on our Oct cruise :rolleyes:

I'm kinda glad to hear it's not just us who doesn't like the Top Chef menu. We aren't picky and are almost always happy with our dinners on Celebrity. We tried Top Chef meals with open minds on 3 previous cruises & were disappointed EVERY time. Last month on the Summit we figured out which night it was being offered & went to Tuscan instead. We had a great meal!

3 strikes & it's out : )

I'm kinda glad to hear it's not just us who doesn't like the Top Chef menu. We aren't picky and are almost always happy with our dinners on Celebrity. We tried Top Chef meals with open minds on 3 previous cruises & were disappointed EVERY time. Last month on the Summit we figured out which night it was being offered & went to Tuscan instead. We had a great meal!

3 strikes & it's out : )

Maybe it's a plan to get more people to eat in speciality restaurants.

Don't recall this menu on Connie in August... maybe we missed it by chance. Have to agree that the Top Chef menu served last year on B2B Equinox in July/August was by far our least favourite. IRRC, it was served on the last night of the 7 day cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from an Eclipse Cruise to the Canaries (ex Uk). I enquired with the Maitre D as to which night the Top Chef menu would be presented as we would like to dine elsewhere that night. To my surprise and joy she told me it's been dropped on recent cruises as it wasn't popular particularly after the menu revamp. I don't know whether this is fleet wide or just the Eclipse.

Just back from an Eclipse Cruise to the Canaries (ex Uk). I enquired with the Maitre D as to which night the Top Chef menu would be presented as we would like to dine elsewhere that night. To my surprise and joy she told me it's been dropped on recent cruises as it wasn't popular particularly after the menu revamp. I don't know whether this is fleet wide or just the Eclipse.

Yes we did the same as we were going to book a speciality restaurant for the top chef night and were pleased to find it had been dropped.

Good plan! I'm sailing today and I'll keep that in mind...We had it on the Eclipse and our waiter told us to "order off the basic menu tonight"....we should have listened....first time in my life I ever sent back a pecan pie!!! It was the worst meal E.V.E.R.!!!

Last year in September on Eclipse, we had a top chef menu, but not the one posted here.

I believe it was the one with the BBQ chicken.

I can't remember what was on it, but I had 2 entrees that night. I loved them.

So I guess different people like different things.

It might be that there are many people (albeit less vocal online) that acually do like it.

That said, I don't like the menu posted.

Last year in September on Eclipse, we had a top chef menu, but not the one posted here.

I believe it was the one with the BBQ chicken.

I can't remember what was on it, but I had 2 entrees that night. I loved them.

So I guess different people like different things.

It might be that there are many people (albeit less vocal online) that acually do like it.

That said, I don't like the menu posted.

It was completely dropped on our recent cruise on the Eclipse, according to our waiter it had been off for some time, and according to the Maitre D feedback was never great and was even worse after the menu revamp.

It was completely dropped on our recent cruise on the Eclipse, according to our waiter it had been off for some time, and according to the Maitre D feedback was never great and was even worse after the menu revamp.

We cruised Summit 4 weeks ago and we had the Top Chef Menu on night 4.