Top chef menu...what do you think?

kevinyork

We've been on the Eclipse for three cruises where the Top Chef menu has been onboard. The first time we experienced it we didn't care for it at all. Seemed to be below Celebrity's regular MDR offering. The next time we went to the Oceanview instead but cruise friends said they liked the experience so the third time we tried it again and really didn't like it. The choice seemed more limited and the dishes were less than exciting. On the way out the Maitre D asked if we had enjoyed our meal and we said we didn't like the Top Chef menu. She said not many people do.

We are back on Eclipse in 5 weeks and no doubt the Top Chef menu will be there again.

Is it just is that doesn't rate the Top Chef menu? Have Celebrity bought into a TV tie in that doesn't match their 'Modern Luxury' tag line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The first Top Chef menu they had on board was horrible. On our last cruise I think they have tweaked it a bit, but it is still one of the weaker nights in the MDR.

We don't care for it at all and I am someone who has watched every single episode of every single season of Top Chef on Bravo, so I am a big fan, but the recipes they are using don't translate well into cruise ship dining. Time for Celebrity to ditch the menu.

The first Top Chef menu they had on board was horrible. On our last cruise I think they have tweaked it a bit, but it is still one of the weaker nights in the MDR.

We don't care for it at all and I am someone who has watched every single episode of every single season of Top Chef on Bravo, so I am a big fan, but the recipes they are using don't translate well into cruise ship dining. Time for Celebrity to ditch the menu.

Thanks. Glad it just wasn't me. We don't see Top Chef on TV in the UK but had hoped it would be something special, along the lines of Masterchef in the UK. But perhaps you are right, the dishes don't translate to cruise ship dining.

By far the worst night's food in the MDR. We will really try and avoid it this year. Problem we have is that we don't usually look at the menu until we sit down and like to tell our tablemates the night before if we won't be there the following night

On a 7 night cruise the TC Menu is either day 3 or day 5.

First night is always prime rib menu, night 2 is Evening Chic with Tournedos menu, night 6 is Lobster night, night 7 is last evening and I know night 4 has the Israeli Couscous Entree which is my favorite dish, so that leaves either night 3 or 5 for the TC Menu.

Huge Top Chef fan here, but I'll have to agree -- I don't particularly enjoy Top Chef night on Celebrity. It's not so much the quality of the food, it's just the particular selection doesn't really appeal to me. I always wondered how they picked those particular dishes out of so many from all of the seasons of the show that were more "tempting".

I'm sure the ability to scale the dishes for a couple thousand people (and the cost, of course) have an impact. Just seems there could be better choices.

And just one other Top Chef note... they have now run the same season of Top Chef on the stateroom TVs, literally the same 10-11 episodes over and over and over for three cruises in a row (over 13 months). And the same episodes are on at the same time of day, so every time I'm in the cabin changing for dinner... I could probably recite them word for word! Change it up, people! :p

Another vote for worst menu of the cruise. I am always thankful that they have the everyday menu to fall back on. I can't say that I have really enjoyed anything off the Top Chef menu and I'm not hard to please at all. I used to go for some sushi before dinner on those nights. I guess I'll have to come up with a different plan on our next cruise.

... was absolutely awful on the Summit last month. I took one bite of the flounder appetizer and couldn't eat it, so then I tried the kale dough balls which were bad. The beef cheeks were OK, but then the chai ice cream for dessert was not good. Hope everyone is giving this menu bad reviews on the survey so that they will discontinue it.

The first time I had it, i really liked it (for what it is worth, my sailing was one of the first ones with the Top Chef menu). Never had beef chhecks before but I was surprised. I liked it so much that i was really looking forward to it on my next cruise. Second time was not good, I think i asked for something else instead because the meal was just gross. In my upcoming cruise, I might order from the "classic" section or do something else

Edited by Sandy1975

On a 7 night cruise the TC Menu is either day 3 or day 5.

First night is always prime rib menu, night 2 is Evening Chic with Tournedos menu, night 6 is Lobster night, night 7 is last evening and I know night 4 has the Israeli Couscous Entree which is my favorite dish, so that leaves either night 3 or 5 for the TC Menu.

I hope it's night 3 on next weeks Summit cruise!

Someone on an early season Bermuda cruise posted the menus and I am positive the Top Chef menu was Tuesday evening.

We booked Tuscan Grill for that night!

I've found a link to the menu. I think it was the same as the Eclipse one this May. I remember seeing the first thing, roasted carrots, and thinking 'really?'

Surely they must know it's not a success given the food that is sent back or the increase in people ordering off the every night menu.

1c5c667488a0c9c5891824585ab3d64d.png

300a54e5c647fb3ff89d68c60f05a72a.png

Edited by kevinyork

This menu is even worse for me than the past horrible menu. I've noticed the "Top Chef Challenge" seems to be losing interest on the ships in the last year or two. Maybe its time for Celebrity to reevaluate the partnership with Bravo and Top Chef.