Viking shorts at dinner?

Redtravel

Just had my kilt and bagpipe fix for the year watched the

Edinborough Tattoo on the TV, fantastic as usual, Canadians, New Zeland and Americans but this year no Australians.

If Viking is monitoring this thread I doubt they would let us all cruise together, it would be the most wonderful mayhem though I expect they'd know it was us by our shorts, of all varieties, kilts the odd bagpipe and heaven knows what else.

Daisi hope things are getting better.

Managed to finally sort the knitting out.

Keep up the good work. CA

It wouldn't have to be a long cruise. It could just be a short one...:D

Wonderful it only gets better, I think we had better ask a Scots man about the under kilt wear. Although going commando might upset a previous contributor with the towels etc. CA

To answer your question I'll use a very old saying......

"There's nothing worn under a Scotsman's kilt, it's all in perfect working order" :)

Ian

On Viking now. Most people are very casual daytime and evening. Even at the Captain's dinner, many people wore shorts. There were a few people that have dressed up. They looked nice. However, they looked out of place. cruise does not have any dress restrictions. Wear whatever you like. Casual attire is it. Keep it simple and clean. Leave fancy clothing home. Bring jeans, shorts, tee shirts, etc. a good pair of walking shoes and a hat is a must. Tours involve lots of walking.

On Viking now. Most people are very casual daytime and evening. Even at the Captain's dinner, many people wore shorts. There were a few people that have dressed up. They looked nice. However, they looked out of place. cruise does not have any dress restrictions. Wear whatever you like. Casual attire is it. Keep it simple and clean. Leave fancy clothing home. Bring jeans, shorts, tee shirts, etc. a good pair of walking shoes and a hat is a must. Tours involve lots of walking.

So it's not like dinner at Downton Abbey? I am shocked, shocked, I tell you!

Beemer2 we will take your word for it.

As for the towels they are discussing they wouldn't cover much back or front!

Laverendry what not like Downton come come my dear one should always rise to the occasion, best bib and tucker including tiara of course the more bling the better and to !!!! with the shorts wearing set.

CA

Beemer2 we will take your word for it.

As for the towels they are discussing they wouldn't cover much back or front!

Laverendry what not like Downton come come my dear one should always rise to the occasion, best bib and tucker including tiara of course the more bling the better and to !!!! with the shorts wearing set.

CA

Good question for Viking - are tiara's allowed at dinner??

I suppose that if there really are no rules (since the "guidelines" are obviously not enforced), then anything goes.

However, I am not ready to wear my Jimmy Choo's to dinner yet (I'm a male)...;)

We've been on dozens of big ship cruises but next week is our first river cruise. This thread caught my eye but I couldn't understand how it could go on for much more than one page.

Now I know.

Time to go pack my tuxedo and denim shorts.

(BTW, I don't much care what someone else wears to dinner)

CILCIANRQTS, spoil sport but Jimmys are so last year a classy pair of Labutons but maybe not for you.

Oldgeez nor do we but this thread has gone so off piste I think you should consider a bow tie and cummerbund to complete your ensemble have a great first cruise but be warned it can become addictive shorts or not. CA

CILCIANRQTS, spoil sport but Jimmys are so last year a classy pair of Labutons but maybe not for you.

Oldgeez nor do we but this thread has gone so off piste I think you should consider a bow tie and cummerbund to complete your ensemble have a great first cruise but be warned it can become addictive shorts or not. CA

The red soles are a little flamboyant for a low-key type like me.

"Off piste" - I had to look it up, but very classy!!

Okay glad you appreciated the off piste remark but even I can't find a rhyme with bike, shall look into rhyming slang maybe that's the way to go.

What with shorts covering funny bones (conjures up some amazing contortions) and what no bikes on Viking! Is that true maybe Martha should have been afraid.

Yup our host must be exceptionaly tolerant considering how close to the wind we have sailed occasionaly but the we are discussing cruising and appropriate clothing, aren't we? CA

Edited by Canal archive
Spelling

No tikes, not bikes on Vi-king. Do they have jazz concerts? If yes, can you attend in shorts?

If Viking ever cruises up the Bronx River, they are welcome to come to one of our concerts in Mount Vernon! [but it has even less water than the Elbe, so I don't suggest they try...]

If Viking ever cruises up the Bronx River, they are welcome to come to one of our concerts in Mount Vernon! [but it has even less water than the Elbe, so I don't suggest they try...]

But the bridges are so much higher!

No bus tours on the Bronx cruise!!

Have a Billie holiday on a Viking jazz tour.

Also featured - that Catholic favorite "I Got Rhythm"!! ;)

That was the Stanford Band in the 1960s, and we know how that turned out [later at Cal, when they lost Big Game for Stanford]. Let's let Sleepin' Bees [and dogs] lie...

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Have a Billie holiday on a Viking jazz tour.

Also featured - that Catholic favorite "I Got Rhythm"!! ;)

Actually, that would be Vantage, as they do have a Jazz themed boat (River Voyager) that launched this year. The suites are named after Jazz icons, Billie Holiday being one.

The shorts thing might not fly with them though. We sail on them in 2 weeks and they have a no shorts or jeans @ dinner rule. I was kinda disappointed to see that. I've only been on a Viking cruise so far and the unwashed masses wearing shorts (a couple of people) and jeans (15%) did nothing to distract me from enjoying myself.

So for this next cruise, I had to go shopping for new dress slacks that fit and don't wrinkle. My wife enjoyed that experience much more than I did. :cool:

It is nice that their are different cruise lines for folks to choose from, according to taste and budget.

Actually, that would be Vantage, as they do have a Jazz themed boat (River Voyager) that launched this year. The suites are named after Jazz icons, Billie Holiday being one.

The shorts thing might not fly with them though. We sail on them in 2 weeks and they have a no shorts or jeans @ dinner rule. I was kinda disappointed to see that. I've only been on a Viking cruise so far and the unwashed masses wearing shorts (a couple of people) and jeans (15%) did nothing to distract me from enjoying myself.

So for this next cruise, I had to go shopping for new dress slacks that fit and don't wrinkle. My wife enjoyed that experience much more than I did. :cool:

It is nice that their are different cruise lines for folks to choose from, according to taste and budget.

Wait, Vantage has rules regarding dress ( or should I say shorts)??

That's a real diss at Vantage!! And VERY short- sighted!!

So we need to be unwashed to wear shorts??

How about people who only own pre-washed jeans??

Sheesh, so many rules for cruise where we can supposedly do whatever we want.

Next thing you know, Cologne will be mandatory on every river cruise!!

Dom want to see that happen!