Viking shorts at dinner?

Redtravel

Having thought long and hard about this thread and taking into account the demographic! Maybe it's not only the nearly sheer horror that the thought of shorts at dinner has evoked it's the little green eye when many of us realise that exposing our admitedly aging legs to the assembled company would in some cases not be appreciated. Just a thought. CA

I now understand that Viking has produced a number of brief videos about their new itineraries. Since there is no time to show them at the daily briefing before dinner, they plan to show them in the dining room during dinner.

Hence the thread - Viking shorts at dinner.

;):p

I now understand that Viking has produced a number of brief videos about their new itineraries. Since there is no time to show them at the daily briefing before dinner, they plan to show them in the dining room during dinner.

Say it isn't so?

I got it [emoji6]

Funny :D

Video shorts at dinner not so far fetched as it would at first seem (although funny) I know someone who has stared in one for Viking as I had to check his history facts. I can assure you no kilts, shorts (the clothing kind) or bagpipes were involved, what a pity! CA

Since I never read a whole post 😉, I am now outraged that the dress code is now going from shorts to briefs...

What about dress at breakfast on Viking? Are pyjamas or dressing gowns permitted? Of course they would have to be smart and stylish, preferably silk, and certainly not flannelette. I assume that bedroom slippers would be de rigueur and bare feet in bad taste.

The Viking website is silent on this matter. Enquiring minds want to know.

What about dress at breakfast on Viking? Are pyjamas or dressing gowns permitted? Of course they would have to be smart and stylish, preferably silk, and certainly not flannelette. I assume that bedroom slippers would be de rigueur and bare feet in bad taste.

It's hard getting going first thing in the morning.

Perhaps clothing optional would be appropriate.

If clothing is required by Viking, perhaps boy shorts would be the way to go.

Shorts at dinner, shorts at breakfast!

And boy shorts are consistent with the kilts/transgender theme...

:eek: :eek:

Flannel pj's and slippers are worn as day wear here in California. And the grandmother of a little birthday girl wore flannel sleep pants and tee to the party. She said she was going to change, but never did. Now if they were silk...

Now that the question of kilts has been raised, another question of dress presents itself: Are undershorts(US)/underpants(UK) optional or mandatory at dinner on Viking ships?

I just re-checked the Viking dress code.

They say that, during the day, shorts may be worn ( if the weather is warm).

That seems to imply such garments may NOT be worn to dinner.

I'll be the guy constantly dropping my knife... ;)

P.S. There's also the implication that when it's cool, all bets (and shorts) are off!!

As would I.

But I think we ALL can agree on NO BAGPIPES on river cruises!!! :p

While bagpipes are fairly easy to spot and prevent from coming on a river cruise,

Not so with WINDBAGS!!

I'm sure we've all been subjected to windbags on past cruises. On an ocean ship, they are easy to avoid because of the size of the vessel.

Not so on a river cruise, where they frequently turn up at dinner, in the lounge, or even on the top deck while viewing the sights.

A windbag is easy to identify. They have the following characteristics:

1. They insist on telling you about EVERY cruise they have ever taken, in painful detail.

2. They maintain that they usually cruise in large suites, and the current river ship has none of the amenities they can't possibly live without.

3. They NEVER take the cruise line's excursions. They prefer to hire "a driver" (and one assumes a vehicle for said driver to drive).

4. They are SO bored with the current itinerary, as they've been to St. Martin 83 times.

5. For some reason, they also always seem to direct the conversation to the square footage of their house, for example 25,000 square feet, not counting the guest house.

6. They think you are a charming individual and they'd just LOVE to have you visit them at their Summer home, but they need lots of advance notice, because they are CONSTANTLY travelling...

Since the wheels have totally come off this thread, perhaps you'd like to add your favorite windbag characteristics to this starter list???

P.S. I sincerely believe that MOST river cruisers are wonderfully interesting, intelligent, sophisticated people, who have no need to impress total strangers.

This thread is one of, if not, The best and funniest I have seen on these boards. Really gives my day a lift. It just flows from one crazy topic to another. Thanks to the OP for starting it. Pat

Absolutely! very funny I especially liked the reference to the "wife beater" T shirt.

Windbag characteristic: not sure... I can't say I have met many, most people are interesting the first time you meet them, even windbags. That's the beauty of open seating, no need to have anything but the first time.

As for the topic at hand: shorts at dinner, does it bother me? No. Would I do it? No. As for Kilts ... bring them on baby!

Thanks all for the laughs, keep them coming.

As would I.

But I think we ALL can agree on NO BAGPIPES on river cruises!!! :p

Sorry, I'll take the pipes & the Kilts.....so much part of our lives up here.

I really want to thank everyone for the humour in this posting. Things have been rough up here for the past 2 weeks, and you have helped both my husband & I get through it.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all go on one cruise together...of course it would have to be Viking to accommodate all of us, and yes, we would have to go in warmer weather so we can all wear shorts for dinner.

Edited by Daisi

Just had my kilt and bagpipe fix for the year watched the

Edinborough Tattoo on the TV, fantastic as usual, Canadians, New Zeland and Americans but this year no Australians.

If Viking is monitoring this thread I doubt they would let us all cruise together, it would be the most wonderful mayhem though I expect they'd know it was us by our shorts, of all varieties, kilts the odd bagpipe and heaven knows what else.

Daisi hope things are getting better.

Managed to finally sort the knitting out.

Keep up the good work. CA