Viking shorts at dinner?

Redtravel

Have been on 2 viking cruises...european and china. River cruising is a total different animal!

Touring nearly everyday and when they would have us out nearly all day they herded directly to the dining room in our tour clothes. Some days, you could dress if you like but the feel was do what you like. No one thought any different than another. It really was about destinations and touring not what was going on onboard cause very little is going on.....it is about destinations!

caviergirl;

Was on a Uniworld cruise last fall, no shorts allowed at dinner.

Was on a Uniworld cruise this spring, no shorts allowed at dinner.

Friends just returned from a Danube cruise on Uniworld, and they reported no shorts allowed at dinner on their cruise.

Therefore, one must think that either;

1. Your cruise had a CD that disregarded the policies, or;

2. Uniworld tried a limited experiment that they are not continuing.

I've heard no one else report their Uniworld cruises allowed shorts to be worn at dinner, past the first night. The CD, at his nightly briefing, has always clearly stated that "shorts are not allowed at dinner". For those on the first night that had on shorts, it was allowed. Past the first night the maître de would stop the cruiser before they entered the dining room. On the flyers, each morning the dress code also appeared.

Just off the Viking Heimdal Avignon to Lyon cruise. There were indeed some men who wore shorts and t-shirts to dinner. I think dress shorts with a nice shirt look fine, but several on this cruise had what appeared to be yard work shorts and t-shirts. Really looked bad but I guess they were comfortable.

I was on Viking AMS to Basel this June and never saw anyone wearing shorts at dinner. That said I'm wondering how long the thread might be if I wore a kilt at dinner?

Ian (Scotland)

Kilts are allowed only if there is a transgender bathroom on board. ;)

< Was on a Uniworld cruise last fall, no shorts allowed at dinner.

Was on a Uniworld cruise this spring, no shorts allowed at dinner.

Friends just returned from a Danube cruise on Uniworld, and they reported no shorts allowed at dinner on their cruise.

Therefore, one must think that either;

1. Your cruise had a CD that disregarded the policies, or;

2. Uniworld tried a limited experiment that they are not continuing.

I've heard no one else report their Uniworld cruises allowed shorts to be worn at dinner, past the first night. The CD, at his nightly briefing, has always clearly stated that "shorts are not allowed at dinner". For those on the first night that had on shorts, it was allowed. Past the first night the maître de would stop the cruiser before they entered the dining room. On the flyers, each morning the dress code also appeared.>

Whether anyone else saw shorts in the dining room on their cruises with Uniworld is something I cannot comment on. I can only report my personal experience, which is that a surprising number of passengers wore shorts to dinner on the SS Catherine last July. I do not recall what the CM advised as to policy as we found her to be less visible and involved than any other CM we have had on the lines we sailed.

And they were not turned away from the dining room for wearing shorts.

It could be that this was due to the very warm weather in France that week but it was neither announced or discussed that the dress code was being relaxed for our sailing. We did not wear shorts, or ever consider wearing shorts to dinner. Just not our style.

There was a group of 18 or so traveling together that was allowed to save tables in the dining room, take over the entertainment in the lounge (bad karaoke) and these were some of the same guests who wore shorts to dinner almost every evening.

We also saw a good number of shorts worn at dinner on our recent Portugal cruise on AmaVida.

Edited by caviargal

CILCINARQTS I think you may have just insulted the whole male Scotish nation next you will be complaining about bagpipes. I would still prefer kilts to shorts at dinner. CA

As would I.

But I think we ALL can agree on NO BAGPIPES on river cruises!!! :p

kilts can look very smart no problem with them. re the shorts are they to the knees or above like tennis apparel?

just a thought given the dining chairs are usually fabric, not keen on the idea of potentially sweaty bare thighs on same. even in gyms it is suggested people take a towel to avoid contamination.

as far as appearances go I suppose once seated no one sees what is below the table cloth, so that a bonus.

on 1 cruise we did have someone who attended the lounge in a dressing gown but perhaps there was a reason. perhaps there will be clothes optional cruises 1 day? we prefer to see people clothed however especially when dining.

My apologies!

I just re-read the title of this thread: Viking shorts at dinner?

I'm perfectly fine with people wearing Viking logoed apparel on Viking ships, so as long as the logo is small and tasteful, I have no problem with people wearing their Viking shorts...

My apologies!

I'm perfectly fine with people wearing Viking logoed apparel on Viking ships, so as long as the logo is small and tasteful, I have no problem with people wearing their Viking shorts...

Made me laugh.........wish I had thought of that and the next post is very funny also.

Criky I was wearing leather trousers and jackets in the 1960s what age are you referring to. This thread is getting more & more fun. There is another way to read the title of the original thread, what about Viking now serving shorts as in drinks rather than what people are wearing but maybe that doesn't translate across the pond i.e. a short as in a scotch. CA

Edited by Canal archive
Forgot last point.

My apologies!

These are long enough to be classified as "semi-formal", and they have a very tasteful small logo.

I think they'll work for the fashion-forward cruiser...

http://www.vikingsfanshop.com/images/products/7147_large5.jpg

;)