Empty Mini Fridge Request

dvcdisney

Hi. Another newbie question...

I've only been on 9 cruises (8 DCL, 1 RCL - Allure) and we've never had a stocked fridge. I didn't realize until I was reading some of the posts here that they fully stock the mini fridge. And guest were requesting the Stateroom Hosts to empty it so they can use it.

I also read that, in some instances, they don't re-stock it until embarkation. My question is - Is this something we should request before the cruise so it saves the Stateroom Host the trouble of restocking and emptying it?

I can imagine how much work they have to do in the morning of disembarkation and embarkation, and I would like to save them the trouble. Also, if we don't see them when we get there to request, I'd prefer to not have to search for them to make the request. I'm sure they're busy.

Will they receive the request in time to save them the trouble? Or is the only way to request at embarkation?

Silly question, I know. But any info or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Unless you are in a suite, where they are able to accommodate a wider variety of pre-cruise requests, there is really no one you can communicate this instruction to ahead of your cruise with any degree of confidence that it will actually make it all the way down the chain to your cabin steward in time for your arrival. So I really wouldn't do anything at this point.

If you want the fridge emptied, just ask the steward when you see them on Day 1. Or empty it yourself and put the contents somewhere out of the way in your cabin. I usually open up the fridge and take a photo of the contents, then move everything up to a high shelf and forget about it for the duration of the cruise. On disembarkation morning, or the night before, I put everything back the way it was in the photo. If you are concerned about creating extra work for the steward, this is a solution that doesn't involve them in any way (you can always mention to them what you're doing, but they already know, because lots of people do this).

If you are worried about being charged for handling the contents, or if you just prefer to have it taken care of for you, as I said, ask your steward. If you don't see them, leave a note, or call the housekeeping line.

After our first cruise, we just do it ourselves now and put the stuff in a nearby drawer. We tell the room steward later so he/she doesn't have to worry about checking and restocking each day. However, you room steward will be happy to do it for you as soon as they get time on that first day. But as mentioned, the word would never get to them precruise.

Thanks for all your responses. I understand.

I didn't realize that we can do it ourselves. I thought it was locked.

I suppose if I don't see them, I'll just leave a note if it's locked.

I don't want to handle it for fear of being charged for anything missing.

Thanks for all your responses. I understand.

I didn't realize that we can do it ourselves. I thought it was locked.

I suppose if I don't see them, I'll just leave a note if it's locked.

I don't want to handle it for fear of being charged for anything missing.

Do Not do it yourself. Let your cabin steward handle the items in he mini fridge. Otherwise there is a chance that they will charge you for missing items. Let the crew do their jobs and there will be no misunderstandings later.

Edited by BirdTravels

I agree, do not empty the fridge yourself. That is too risky.

In January, we cruised Royal Car. and they would NOT empty the mini fridge.

They said it was operated by a contractor and they were not allowed to touch it (not sure I believe it).

I have to travel with refrigerated medication that I need to have administered IV weekly. We usually cruise in a suite, and always make a request through the NCL Concierge office to have the fridge emptied prior to our boarding. There is a 50/50 chance it will happen, and should that be the case, I empty it myself, and tell both the room steward and our butler where I stashed the goods. Its never been a big issue, and I don't mind doing it myself.;)

You guys make it sound like we're handling live snakes or something. It's really not that big a deal, either way, so by all means get the steward to do it if you prefer. We will continue living on the edge and risking disaster at every moment :D

dvcdisney, we have found the fridge locked once or twice. In that case, of course, you need to find your steward or call housekeeping.

Do what you wish of course. But for 18 cruises, we've done it ourselves. And it has never, never been an issue. Just mention it to the room steward afterwards and they are happy campers. Nobody is looking for an opportunity to screw you out of a mini drink.

Now that people can no longer bring outside water and soda onboard, I believe that the number of people needing the mini-fridge emptied will greatly decrease.

Of course, there will still be those, for reasons of their own, who still want the contents removed. For those folks, I would point out that whether you or the room steward empties the fridge, as long as those contents are in the room (under the bed, in a box, on a shelf, in a pillowcase, etc) you are still "responsible" for anything that is determined to be missing when the cruise is over. The BEST way to avoid charges for items that you won't use is to INSIST that the items be completely removed from the room. It isn't a big deal for them and it is really the only way to protect your wallet.

Thanks everyone for your response.

I just thought that, perhaps, if they get the request while they are restocking it, then it would save them the trouble.

I guess that won't work. I'll just ask them if I see them the first day or leave a note.

I can only imagine how annoying it would be to restock it, only to find out that the next guests wants it emptied. I'm sure they do it all the time, but there's got to be a better way. I read on another thread that they wished they wouldn't bother with the mini bar. I think that would be a good idea. I think it would be easier to have it offered at a store for guests to purchase if they want these items. But there must be enough guests using the mini bars to make this worth the trouble.

Thanks everyone for your response.

I read on another thread that they wished they wouldn't bother with the mini bar. I think that would be a good idea. I think it would be easier to have it offered at a store for guests to purchase if they want these items. But there must be enough guests using the mini bars to make this worth the trouble.

I'm sure that lots of moms and dads wish they didn't have candy at the checkout lines either. It's called impulse marketing and it's quite effective 😄

Just off the Jewel. Our fridge had 6 sodas, 1 beer, and a few small liquor bottles. There wasn't candy or any type of food. There was also a note on the fridge that stated it would not be inventoried until the final day. So it's easy to put in a drawer or luggage out of the way if you want to empty it.