Inside to balcony for $ 300 worth it ?

I had booked an inside cabin , no frills except for third and fourth free on the Getaway. I checked with my NCL consultant with the current prepaid service charge promo and the only thing that i might consider is that I can get a balcony for $ 300 USD total. Is that a decent deal or am I better off waiting for a possible upgrade offer ? Balcony is nice but it's one of those things that I can probably live without as I've never had one for my one other cruise eons ago.

Thanks .

$300 total for all 4 guests is a good deal, even ignoring the perks. I get that you don't really care about the balcony, but there will be more room in the cabin for all of you.

If the $300 includes an additional perk, like the free gratuities for 2 people, then it's a no-brainer and you should have taken the deal already!

Edited by hawkeyetlse

$300 total for all 4 guests is a good deal, even ignoring the perks. I get that don't really care about the balcony, but there will be more room in the cabin for all of you.

If the $300 includes an additional perk, like the free gratuities for 2 people, then it's a no-brainer and you should have taken the deal already!

It's for a family of 4 with two kids under 10. The perk now is third and fourth free and prepaid gratuities for two.

The net difference is $300 and basically it's for a bigger room and the balcony which I'm not sure if it's worth it because I've never had one and plus I figure we'll basically sleep in it and nothing else.

Show me! Hard to believe you can upgrade from an inside to a balcony for only $300 total.

It wasn't an upgrade. I had an inside state before and I just called up to see if I can take advantage of the new promo and this is what was worked out by just checking the system by the consultant. There is no tricks or magic involved.

I was on the Dawn 7/22 inside guarantee no free stuff but $499pp plus tax and tips. 2 days before we left we were offered a upsell to a balcony extra $100pp still no free stuff but since I don't drink anyway it was a great deal so we jumped on it. Went fron floor 5 to 10 for $200. Best deal ever. Nothing like a balcony.over 4 walls and no sunlight! They dont last long so grab it while you can.

I had booked an inside cabin , no frills except for third and fourth free on the Getaway. I checked with my NCL consultant with the current prepaid service charge promo and the only thing that i might consider is that I can get a balcony for $ 300 USD total. Is that a decent deal or am I better off waiting for a possible upgrade offer ? Balcony is nice but it's one of those things that I can probably live without as I've never had one for my one other cruise eons ago.

Thanks .

I can't edit my original post on the mobile app but just wanted to note that I did take the offer as I can still change it as I'm still outside my December sailing . I'm just don't know whether the value is good or not as I didn't have a reference point.

It wasn't an upgrade. I had an inside state before and I just called up to see if I can take advantage of the new promo and this is what was worked out by just checking the system by the consultant. There is no tricks or magic involved.

I would take it. Have had balconies before and while I don't use them alot I found that it was nice to have a coffee on in the morning in my PJ's without worrying about who might see me. Personally I would jump on the deal. You are going to gain much needed closet space and I believe it gives the kids a slightly different area with a sofa and pull down so they are not both sleeping over the top of you in bunks. Plus if someone needs to shower or bathroom and the room steams or smells due to lack of actual doors you can retreat outside for a few, maybe with a book. There are so many pluses to a balcony. Have fun either way but telling you the sq ft is so worth it because you all will be less likely to be stepping all over each other all of the time

We only sleep in our room and change clothes, everything else is outside the room we don't feel we're wasting money at all.

I get what you are saying, but you suddenly find that with a balcony room there are things you can do in your room - like watching the sailaway, quiet reading when at sea, a drink before dinner, an early morning coffee .... the list is endless.

Saying that, for me any cabin on a ship means a great vacation.

We only sleep in our room and change clothes, everything else is outside the room we don't feel we're wasting money at all.

I agree to a point. I am solo and getting a studio just because I am curious to see how it goes with the solo program for dining and shows and the price was right. I will not be upgrading because I want to try out this room.

However with 2, any room will really do. Some of the insides are only 120sqft which is barely bigger then the studio, 2 would work, but 4 would I imagine start feeling like you are crammed in a tin can. there would be no where to go for a few minutes peace. If you don't care about that then more power to you, but with a group of 4 it would be very beneficial to have the more space. I think I read a comment where there can't be 2 ladders fit in if the lower bed is made up as a queen, so for 4 in a inside it kinda has to be 2 twins and 2 uppers or the uppers can't both get into their beds. Correct me if I am wrong though, that might have been CCL.

Honestly I wish more places offered rooms like Disney with a split bath(2 toilets, 2 small sinks, 1 shower in 1 of the 2 bathrooms), I think CCL has something similar in some of their ocean views but not sure ny other cruise line has done that with the less expensive rooms. Sorry for that tangent, overthinking.

I get what you are saying, but you suddenly find that with a balcony room there are things you can do in your room - like watching the sailaway, quiet reading when at sea, a drink before dinner, an early morning coffee .... the list is endless.

Saying that, for me any cabin on a ship means a great vacation.

I concur, we had a balcony once and it was great, an aft balcony no less...but it was dirt cheap on Costa... a 10-day Cruise. Otherwise, hard to justify the cost.

I think it has value especially for a family with young children. Presumably, you do not go to sleep at the same time your children under 10 YOA do. Having the balcony allows you and your husband some quiet time with a drink or a snack to talk or read and relax without disturbing your sleeping children. It also gives you or your husband a place to retreat while others are getting ready so there aren't all 4 of you in the room at the same time. Also, just so you know, there is a latch on the balcony door so your children cannot get out on the balcony by themselves.

Terry

I can't imagine fitting 4 people in an inside cabin regardless of how young the children are. My wife, and son and I were on Getaway in 2014 in a family oceanview and even that was tight. Get the balcony, $300 for 4 pax over a 7 day cruise is peanuts.

inside cabin - 129-151 sq ft

2 bunk beds

balcony cabin: 172 sq ft + balcony ranging 30-70 sq ft based on what you book

1 pull out couch, 1 bunk bed

gratuties for 2: 13.50 x 2 x 7 nights = 189.00

300 upgrade -

189.00 gratuites

111.00 difference

/4=

27.75 difference per pax

/7

3.96 per passenger per night. You got a great deal!

inside cabin - 129-151 sq ft

2 bunk beds

balcony cabin: 172 sq ft + balcony ranging 30-70 sq ft based on what you book

1 pull out couch, 1 bunk bed

gratuties for 2: 13.50 x 2 x 7 nights = 189.00

300 upgrade -

189.00 gratuites

111.00 difference

/4=

27.75 difference per pax

/7

3.96 per passenger per night. You got a great deal!

I've already factored in the free gratuities, the net is $300 USD.

I think it has value especially for a family with young children. Presumably, you do not go to sleep at the same time your children under 10 YOA do. Having the balcony allows you and your husband some quiet time with a drink or a snack to talk or read and relax without disturbing your sleeping children. It also gives you or your husband a place to retreat while others are getting ready so there aren't all 4 of you in the room at the same time. Also, just so you know, there is a latch on the balcony door so your children cannot get out on the balcony by themselves.

Terry

Thanks for this. The sleep time difference was something I hadn't thought off. The balcony latch was great to know as I have a child with Autism and he often doesn't see obvious dangers. I can always change this later if I change my mind but the general consensus seems to be that it's a decent deal.

Edited by Captain Underpants