butler etc: will they call you how you wish?

luckyinpa

has the butler called you by your preferred name/middle name rather than your first name (which is on your cruise docs) ( i was told by this forum to put my full name on the itinerary )

i never use my 1st name and yes, it would annoy me to continually be called by it. i realize the one time people i deal with and see my card is something ill have to deal with and try not to stress too much:D

Edited by luckyinpa

Same thing here, and on 2 different cruises he called me Mr. (Last Name), the whole time, even after I asked him to please informally call me my (middle name).

...and I am not complaining at all, they just wanted to show respect which I appreciate...but we are not formal people.

So I called them Mr. (their last name) and it became a funny thing.

Edited by hunterjackson

Same thing here, and on 2 different cruises he called me Mr. (Last Name), the whole time, even after I asked him to please informally call me my (middle name).

...and I am not complaining at all, they just wanted to show respect which I appreciate...but we are not formal people.

So I called them Mr. (their last name) and it became a funny thing.

i do not wish it, but i could deal with mister last name vs my 1st name. its still respectful and my guess is its easier for them to remember.

now if they call my girlfriend mrs last name that will be interesting.:eek: he better be bringing a ring with my potato chips

I think "your highness" is a bit over the top. How about Sir and Dame or Lord and Lady? Fantasy Downton abbey at sea for a week!

With absolutely NO prompting from me or the hubby, a number of Norwegian staff have referred to us as Sir Legal First Name and Sir DH's Legal First Name, rather than my preferred first name which is part of my online handle here. Maybe its because we are two men, and they can't figure out how to call us otherwise? Anyway, while a bit disconcerting initially, I have grown to appreciate the names....but must admit, Your Majesty would be even better! LOL

Edited by Clay Clayton

With absolutely NO prompting from me or the hubby, a number of Norwegian staff have referred to us as Sir Legal First Name and Sir DH's Legal First Name, rather than my preferred first name which is part of my online handle here. Maybe its because we are two men, and they can't figure out how to call us otherwise? Anyway, while a bit disconcerting initially, I have grown to appreciate the names....but must admit, Your Majesty would be even better! LOL

This.

We get Sir Michael and Madam Elisabeth...my wife heard that the first time and nearly died...

That is how it works out for Filipinos i found out.

It's a sign of respect in their home country. I get called this frequently. My wife gets Mame Holly frequently for the same reason. One of the many reasons that makes cruising with an International crew so much fun and interesting.

has the butler called you by your preferred name/middle name rather than your first name (which is on your cruise docs) ( i was told by this forum to put my full name on the itinerary )

i never use my 1st name and yes, it would annoy me to continually be called by it. i realize the one time people i deal with and see my card is something ill have to deal with and try not to stress too much:D

Last trip i had the butler refer to me as "Chief" and my response to his calling me chief was to hit my palm off my mouth making "woo woo" sounds!! it was a real gas!! Every time he saw me around the ship he would yell out "hey..chief" and i would do my reply...the funny thing is we were staying in an inside cabin at the time!!! at the end of the cruise my wife informed my that my "butler" was actually our room steward !!! boy did i have egg on my face...lol