Tipping etiquette - what do you recommend?

Hello everyone. I will be going on the Oasis, eastern 7 night cruise and wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on what is a fair amount to Tip.

I know that the ship automatically bills you a daily tip amount but for certain people I like to give them an extra tip at the end of the cruise, namely the person in charge of cleaning the room who I've had great experiences with in past cruises.

How much do you guys normally give them?

Also, do you guys tip and how much if so at the speciality restaurants. We are doing the 3 dinner package so wanted to take that into consideration.

Thanks!:)

I also would love to know what to tip at Chops on Oasis?

We just got off Anthem 8/6/16 and ate at Chops two nights on the BOGO offer?

With no guidelines to go by, we tipped $25 per night. Being that in real life, "not CRUISE LIFE," I don't get to those types of restaurants, I didn't know what to base my tip on. I can take constructive criticism, just please don't burn me at the stake if I was too cheap.

Thanks,

Laura

With no guidelines to go by, we tipped $25 per night. Being that in real life, "not CRUISE LIFE," I don't get to those types of restaurants, I didn't know what to base my tip on. I can take constructive criticism, just please don't burn me at the stake if I was too cheap.

Thanks,

Laura

The waiters at Chops must have loved you. As gratuities are included in the cost of the meal IMO you were extremely generous. I'm sure that any amount above and beyond is appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura

I think your tip was fine. Keep in mind the tip is included therefore anything you give is above the tip you have already paid.

Hello everyone. I will be going on the Oasis, eastern 7 night cruise and wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on what is a fair amount to Tip.

I know that the ship automatically bills you a daily tip amount but for certain people I like to give them an extra tip at the end of the cruise, namely the person in charge of cleaning the room who I've had great experiences with in past cruises.

How much do you guys normally give them?

Also, do you guys tip and how much if so at the speciality restaurants. We are doing the 3 dinner package so wanted to take that into consideration.

Thanks!:)

Very subjectiv! I think anything above the automatic gratuity is always appreciated and deserved. I always do the automatic and tip a little on top - usually around $20 - but I travel solo and don't really make a lot of work. Occasionally I have just left it at the automatic with no extra - primarily because I never spoke or interacted with the steward - and I never requested anything.

I don't eat in specialty restaurants much. Gratuities are included in price, but I have left an extra $10 any time I have eaten at Giovanni's.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

The waiters at Chops must have loved you. As gratuities are included in the cost of the meal IMO you were extremely generous. I'm sure that any amount above and beyond is appreciated.

Word gets around, everyone was hoping they would sit at their table.

I'm a little confused, would the waiters at Chops been given some of the $13.50 per person, per day gratuities? We only paid $30 per night, based one the bogo offer.

Laura

No, Laura, they do not. That goes to your regular waiters. They get a cut of the Chops cover charge.

I gave our room steward an extra $20, our waiter $40, and our asst. waiter $20. Honestly I had no idea what was appropriate above and beyond the $13.50 a day per person.

The daily gratuities cover those people, so anything you give is appropriate. Only tip extra if you really want to!

What a range of replies! :)

I'm typically an over-tipper at hospitality businesses - but can't be quite as generous as some have indicated they are, or will be, in this thread. Then again, some seem to have indicated they don't tip any extra - both are perfectly okay.

My plan is to give a little "hello" gift (incredible toffee that's made in my town) to the room stewards at the beginning of the cruise, a couple of dollars per drink to the few bartenders and baristas I may meet, a few dollars per (non complicated) room service delivery, and then a little extra cash for the room stewards at the end - perhaps as much as $50 each.

Hadn't considered tipping at Chops, but now that I think about it I'll probably leave $10. My wife and I won't be a complicated or fussy table.

Should I keep a C note in my pocket in case I run into the Captain?

Then again, some seem to have indicated they don't tip any extra - both are perfectly okay.

I don't think people are indicating that they do not tip any extra.

People are explaining that autograts cover your main tips, room steward and dining services, and that you really do not need to tip anything above that.

Therefore, anything extra is 'appropriate'.

Edited by marci22

We normally tip room attendant extra amount depends on service level, we do not tip MDR extra since we eat half our meals in specialty, we always tip specialty, also normally tip extra for dinks at bar or concierge lounge. If you get great service tip extra if not do not ( we normally get great service on RCCL)