Aft Cabins on S Class Ships

ReneeFLL

I read there really isn't much of an overhang on the aft sunset cabins on the S class ships. Do the rooms get a lot hotter than the regular balcony rooms? Any other info someone wants to share about their experience with the aft cabins?

For those who have sailed in aft and hump cabins on S class ships, which do you prefer and why?

TIA

There is very little overhang so lots of sun. Depending on where you are sailing that can be good or bad. We had aft for Alaska & it was great. The ship blocked the wind & sun on the balcony allowed us to cruise Tracy Arms in tee shirts.

Had an aft for Australia in February & in the afternoon it was too hot to use the balcony. Even keeping the curtains closed the A/C could not keep the cabin cool in the late afternoon & evening. We had to open the door to the hallway to get cool air into the cabin.

There is a larger overhang on the top deck of all the aft cabins, but is also under the OV aft deck. The view from the aft is beautiful, but you also walk quite a distance on the S class ships. I think you should always consider the temperature of your cruise, along with the direction of the ship. For my upcoming TA in the spring, I am happy to have an overhang, as the ship travels east with the sun setting out from our balcony...perfect for me. I will get some afternoon sun, but if it rains, I can still sit on my balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

We've been in a hump on Equinox and an aft sky suite on Silhouette. To be honest, if I could do it over, I would have taken a non-aft Sky Suite. It was a long walk and there's no shade on the balcony. It was nice and quiet, but it was pretty quiet in the hump cabin too. It was pretty looking at the wake, but if it rained (this was a Baltic cruise), there was no protection.

We have sailed many aft cabins on RCCL. But only a hump large balcony on Reflection. WE loved it! We could be anywhere in no time at all.

But since this cruise is Alaska we booked the aft. We enjoyed the aft on our last Alaska and saw many more glacier calvings and whales and such from the aft than our friends did from the sides. It was lovely and sunny and we also were in Tshirts.

So it does depend on your destination.

We love aft cabins' date=' they are our favorite. However for Caribbean cruises, day time can get very hot. Evenings are lovely though. The balcony's are huge and the view is fabulous.[/quote']

The aft balconies are huge only on the M-Class ships.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. The cruise is on the Equinox October 16, 2017 Caribbean. I had booked the aft already and think I will give it a try instead of changing to a hump. I have sailed in hump cabins before and really liked the extra balcony space. I have always wanted an aft cabin and was able to get one for this cruise. Hopefully it won't be to hot during the day. That is my biggest concern. As for the walk, I could use it. :D

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. The cruise is on the Equinox October 16, 2017 Caribbean. I had booked the aft already and think I will give it a try instead of changing to a hump. I have sailed in hump cabins before and really liked the extra balcony space. I have always wanted an aft cabin and was able to get one for this cruise. Hopefully it won't be to hot during the day. That is my biggest concern. As for the walk, I could use it. :D

Thanks.

Hi Renee - we have a sunset cabin on the Equinox Oct 6, 2017 cruise - 8338...

Hi Renee - we have a sunset cabin on the Equinox Oct 6, 2017 cruise - 8338...

We are in 7364 on the cruise right after you. Is this going to be your first time in a SV? I hope I don't regret booking the SV due to the heat. Only time will tell. I also booked a SV on the Eclipse 14 day Feb. 2018. If I don't like the heat on the Equinox I am hoping I will be able to change rooms.

The Equinox Caribbean cruise with the aft balcony will be our second time in an aft, but the first time sailing in an aft in the Caribbean. The first time isn't till April 2017 when we sail Australia and New Zealand on Royal. We were in a jr suite for the extra room it provides, but when a regular balcony aft cabin (not jr suite) became available we decided to jump on it since we have always wanted to try one. I'm not to concerned about the sun on that cruise. Would love an aft jr suite, but there are only 2 on the whole ship. :( Second cruise of the b2b is in a jr suite, but not aft. :( I keep watching to see if one of the 2 open up, but I don't think it will. One is taken by someone that I know will not cancel so that only leaves one possibility.

• 1 month later...

We're booked on Equinox All That Jazz-11 Day Jazz Fest Cruise(first time as elite after 5 Mclass X cruises) in aft sky suite 2155 .. though I do have concerns about the overhang completely blocking sun (to say nothing of chair dragging noise from sunset bar above).

ef9a377f0cee15e78b8369fa3b9f6b29.jpg

I do enjoy my aft balcony hammock sunning 6e5b0a4f762109736873339e1247bdfc.jpg

We disembarked the Equinox earlier this week. Our friends were in 2155 and we were in corner aft 9299. Even though our cabin was a corner and had the side porthole window I preferred 2155. I liked that when you walked in to the cabin you could see the ocean while in 9299 the sliding glass door wall was angled and didn't afford the same view and generally felt smaller.

2155 did have a deep overhang which was nice on this cruise as the 9299 veranda had no (or very, very little) overhang so was to hot to enjoy.

2155 also had more storage than 9299. 9299 had only one closet for hanging clothes and 2155 had two. Our friends were not bothered by noise.

We're booked on Equinox All That Jazz-11 Day Jazz Fest Cruise(first time as elite after 5 Mclass X cruises) in aft sky suite 2155 .. though I do have concerns about the overhang completely blocking sun (to say nothing of chair dragging noise from sunset bar above).

Avid, looks like you were having a grand time in that hammock.

You'll enjoy that aft cabin for sure:

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

Ron, thanks for the pictures. Looks so relaxing and I am so excited to try and aft cabin. Unfortunately that cruise isn't till next October the one after yours. Were you on the 9th deck?

Edited by ReneeFLL

Ron, thanks for the pictures. Looks so relaxing and I am so excited to try and aft cabin. Unfortunately that cruise isn't till next October the one after yours. Were you on the 9th deck?

Penthouse deck:

Long walk back but very quiet:

DSC01753.jpg

It's a long walk.......(looking aft)

DSC01748.jpg

We disembarked the Equinox earlier this week. Our friends were in 2155 and we were in corner aft 9299. Even though our cabin was a corner and had the side porthole window I preferred 2155. I liked that when you walked in to the cabin you could see the ocean while in 9299 the sliding glass door wall was angled and didn't afford the same view and generally felt smaller.

2155 did have a deep overhang which was nice on this cruise as the 9299 veranda had no (or very, very little) overhang so was to hot to enjoy.

2155 also had more storage than 9299. 9299 had only one closet for hanging clothes and 2155 had two. Our friends were not bothered by noise.

Thanks Your feedback is appreciated

Though 0054e318b50e40f1c00dcd1a74b9bba9.jpgI do enjoy sunning on an aft balcony in my travel hammock

You are the Man, an aft balcony with a hammock.....now that's luxury :cool:

I have only sailed in slanted hump cabins and corner aft suites. I prefer the corner aft suite for the balcony view, along with the quieter entrance. Also, your view is so nice on the balcony. The closet space doesn't bother us at all, due to the fact that there is a lot of other storage and we don't bring lots of clothes!

Have they sorted the soot problems on the aft balcony,s.

We had one a couple of years ago and could not use the balcony because everything would get covered in soot.

Ian.

No, the ship is unchanged so depending upon the deck you are on (and perhaps the direction of the wind relevant to where the cabin is) you may still get soot on your balcony.

Have they sorted the soot problems on the aft balcony,s.

We had one a couple of years ago and could not use the balcony because everything would get covered in soot.

Ian.

We had an aft cabin on Solstice in Australia/New Zealand last year without

a problem. But on Equinox in the Med this year the soot was so prevalent we

could not use the balcony. Very frustrating!