To the Lady Who Boarded the Princess Airport-Ship Bus Sick as a Dog--Shame on You!

Andi2008

Devil's advocate here--the sick person was probably on her trip of a lifetime, too, and she had paid for the cruise before she got sick. I'm sorry you got sick, but this kind of thing can happen in any situation, so avoiding cruising might not be a guarantee. My daughter teaches the first grade, and every fall she catches at least three colds.

What makes you think that a sick person is entitled to bring their germs to others who have spent thousands of dollars on the trip of a lifetime. Their inconsiderate and selfish actions could potentially effect a considerable number of innocent people who have worked hard to come on a cruise only to have their holidays ruined by a sick and inconsiderate person who did not confine themselves when it became apparent that they were sick.

Unfortunately, we just can't control inconsiderate and/or ignorant people that can and do infect others.

I never used to be a "germaphobe" for lack of a better term. But when I go on any trip: I carry surgical masks, chlorex wipes, alcohol swabs, and a pair of plastic surgical gloves.

The moment I am on the airplane, I quickly wipe the armrests, table, tv screen, etc. If there is a strong perfume/cologne or any uncomfortable odor, anything that looks or sounds hinky-- I then put on a surgical mask- (I only needed to do that once) Since I started to act as a germophobe on airplane, I have not gotten sick once after airplane journey. Fortunately, so far, I haven't had to go to extremes on cruises or tenders or buses from the tours. But I carry all that stuff at all times, for "just in case." Yes, what a shame to have to do all this- but I refuse to have my hard earned vacation ruined!

The person may not even have been sick. When my allergies really act up my noise and eyes run constantly - I have been known to use an entire box of Kleenex in one day - and the runny nose makes me cough. If I were to tell someone nearby that it is an allergy, they would never believe me.

That happened on the second leg of a long flight at the end of a trip last year. About a half hour after we boarded the plane, my nose started gushing, and I was sneezing and coughing like there was no tomorrow. As soon as I got off the plane it was like the faucet turned off and the runny nose, the sneezing and the coughing all gradually stopped and I felt fine. So you never can really tell if a person has allergies or is ill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

My husband has a chronic bronchial problem from being around second hand smoke all his life and he has terrible lungs. Coughs a lot, especially in the morning, always with a tissue over his mouth. He is in no way contagious.

You read my mind. I have asthma and sinus issues and particularly in the morning I sound at death's door. I do cover my mouth, even though I am in no way contagious and often in my own car or home, because it is second nature. But sometimes it continues even after I arrive at my office. Fortunately my coworkers are used to it and are understanding. But strangers get freaked out. I tell them I am not ill, it is caused by sinus issues. Some believe me, some don't, their problem.

It goes to show you just how effective the boarding questionnaire is worth. :p

It's very doubtful to me that anyone answers the questionnaire truthfully. Think about it. You spent money for the cruise,money to get to the ship, you've been waiting months for this moment and you're going to be truthful about having the sniffles, diarrhea, or vomiting in the past 24 hours? Nope, it isn't going to happen. Do I want to be denied getting on the ship or quarantined to my cabin? I don't think so.

Edited by elliair

It's very doubtful to me that anyone answers the questionnaire truthfully. Think about it. You spent money for the cruise,money to get to the ship, you've been waiting months for this moment and you're going to be truthful about having the sniffles, diarrhea, or vomiting in the past 24 hours? Nope, it isn't going to happen. Do I want to be denied getting on the ship or quarantined to my cabin? I don't think so.

According to the Princess health form you will only be denied boarding if you are "suspected to have an illness of international public concern."

I don't know your name. I barely remember what you look like. But I will never forget what you sounded like, sitting behind us on the Princess bus that picked us up from Anchorage Airport and transferred us to the Island Princess on August 24. I knew the moment I first heard your deep hacking cough, that my husband's and I greatly anticipated cruise of Alaska was in jeopardy. Over and over you coughed, spewing your germs on all of us around you. You did not have the common courtesy to wear a mask or even cover your mouth with a tissue or hanky. I don't know how you could fill out your Health Questionnaire with a straight face, let alone hand the form over to the Princess Representative, knowing you were so sick. What I DO KNOW is that on the night of Day 4 of our cruise, I became very ill with a high fever and that same hacking cough. It stuck with me for the rest of the trip, and I missed going ashore in Juneau and Ketchikan, and was holed up in my room for the final at sea days so that I would not infect anyone else. My husband too became sick, one day later than I did. We have been home now for 5 days and both have seen our doctor because the high fever and deep cough will not go away. I was diagnosed with the start of pneumonia, for goodness sakes, something I have never had in my life. We are now taking strong antibiotics and still it is a slow recovery.

I am realistic enough to know that every time we take a cruise, there is a risk that we will catch a bug given the close proximity of so many people and the fact that lots of people don't use the antibacterial stations as they enter the buffet area. But this is the first time in all our cruising we we experienced someone so ill BLATANTLY board the ship, intentionally knowing their cough and germs would be spread to innocent people. This was a trip of a life time for us. Your behavior has put us in the situation of really wondering if we will ever cruise again--it is just not worth it when irresponsible people like you ignore the rules that are in place to protect cruise passengers and staff.

Frustrated and still feeling cruddy!

Andi

Yep, we've been on cruises before where it seemed half the ship

Was hacking and coughing

Unfortunately, this happens at work, in schools and on plane trips, too. It is really unavoidable.

It's part luck, part timing, part personal responsibility.

Knowing me, I most likely would have told the woman to cover her mouth. People can be so gross.

Hope you feel better soon. Pneumonia is just awful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some people have no concept of germ theory and how illness is transmitted. They are oblivious, not necessarily being inconsiderate.

Plenty of parents send their kids to school and to other appointments when they are sick rather than cancel. Most of them understand germ theory but don't care.

If I had a serious condition such as congestive heart failure but felt well enough to travel, I would reassure those sitting near me on a bus that I had a chronic condition that wasn't contagious. In a quiet situation, where the group was listening to a speaker, a musician etc. I would move away from people or avoid the situation altogether. I've been at the symphony with a tickle in my throat- if throat lozenges and sips of water don't help, I wait out in the hall.

Sorry to hear that the trip was ruined!!

Now I'm going to sound really harsh and there is no animosity towards any poster, just stating truth.

As a species, we're a pretty robust species. There are 7,000,000,000 of us and most live in conditions that is beyond the comprehension of first world folks, so just know that we are hardy.

Now if you're getting laid up by an illness, unless it is something truly virulent and wreaks a terrible global havoc, you're probably not in any condition to travel and should leave the travel to those w/o a foot in the grave.

Again, no personal attacks made nor meant, but simply stating the truth.

Edited by Viesczy

Guess you have never been around anyone with acid reflux. Once your throat gets irritated it takes a long time to stop coughing. Even with water or a cough drop. Hope I'm never on the same bus as you when I start coughing. And no it's not contagious. :)

I completely agree with you. I have a serious post-nasal drip and cough and clear my throat almost constantly. I am in no way infectious and if someone offered me a mask to wear, I could not guarantee that my response would be a polite 'no thank you' 😏

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Be careful what you do in restrooms. By using the automatic hand driers it is sucking up all the urine vapour and dissipating it in a nice warm patch all over your clean hands!

Your powers of observation in the restroom may do you credit but just remember nothing is always as it appears to be.

Not many hot air dryers that I can recall. Everyone uses hand towels. You don't catch norovirus from urine, you catch it from faeces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I usually cruise during (my) allergy season (happens to be my birthday) so for a day or so after leaving Texas and its lovely oak pollen, I look and sound like I'm on deaths doorstep, sneezing, puffy eyes, scratchy throat. This is one reason I like to cruise for my birthday - it gets me away from the hated oak trees for a week, and I can breathe again. I'd be pretty darn angry if some passenger made an assumption and turned me in to the cruise line for being "sick" before boarding :rolleyes:

The person may not even have been sick. When my allergies really act up my noise and eyes run constantly - I have been known to use an entire box of Kleenex in one day - and the runny nose makes me cough. If I were to tell someone nearby that it is an allergy, they would never believe me.

That happened on the second leg of a long flight at the end of a trip last year. About a half hour after we boarded the plane, my nose started gushing, and I was sneezing and coughing like there was no tomorrow. As soon as I got off the plane it was like the faucet turned off and the runny nose, the sneezing and the coughing all gradually stopped and I felt fine. So you never can really tell if a person has allergies or is ill.

I had the same thing happen to me on a couple of flights, I sneezed for a good two or three hours, must have gone through a box of tissues. Was fine once I got on the ground.

According to the medical profession, it takes 24 hours from contact to come down with a cold, a flu takes about three days.

As I said before the OP clearly took a plane home while sick. How is this any different to what they are complaining about? Probably on a plane forum we might read of someone complaining of a couple being so ill on a plane and they still travelled and as a result they got their bug. Its probably worse as you cant escape the recycled air on a plane.

Edited by Pushka