How do they get away with this?

Mythbuster

We booked a Celebrity suite on the Summit for an Aug 2017 sailing back in June. We got the suite for about $6,000 with the 4 perks included. I am one of those who book early then constantly check the rates to see if it goes down.

Last week I checked and the price for our room jumped to over $8,100. I thought this was very strange to jump this much.

Today I checked again and Celebrity is running a Promotion..."Get 2nd person for half off". This brings down the $8,100 to the same price I paid of ~$6,000. How can they get away with increasing the price and 1 week later discounting it back to the original price and calling it a promotion? My guess is Celebrity will raise the price back to $8,100 after the promo for a week then drop it back down close to the $6,000 original price.

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I've been checking prices for the AQ on the Summit for Sept 17 and a good idea what the prices were. When I go the email about the buy one get the second cabin half price with $25 down, I figured it was time to book. I checked the website but the prices did not lineup, so we called. We got the same price. We told them straight out it was a bait and switch. I got another call, told them the same thing and a survey where I told them the same thing (less politely. ) I wish we did not love Celebrity so much.

With the new promotion we were able to move up to an A2 from an A1 and saved $28! We always book w/a TA. Called her, asked for her to price match as the A2 was now $250 less than what we booked at or to upgrade us to A1 if hump room was available (bigger balcony). The larger balcony was so she upgraded us & our final payment dropped $28 :)

Edited by DZalumni

Unless you look at a printed brochure or a website that shows the brochure price:eek: the price you paid was discounted. Find out what your rate code - the description can be found for the rate code.

Rarely do you see the brochure price - I can think of 1 website that shows it - or at least they used to.

So every price less than that (ridiculous) price is discounted.

Brochure Inside $2,398

Our Inside $1,149

You Save 52%

Brochure Oceanview $2,998

Our Oceanview $1,499

You Save 50%

Brochure Balcony $3,298

Our Balcony $1,549

You Save 53%

That's true.

A lot of people compare the price in a sale to the price before the sale - without considering that that previous price was also part of a sale. They then say it's a false sale as the price went up, when it's just a different sale - without as much discount.

That said, there can be dodginess in pricing as well - but it's not always as black and white as portrayed.

If you feel any company is engaging in deceptive pricing, you can file a complaint at the FTC. If they get enough complaints they will investigate. You do not have to "sue" in a class action; if the company is engaging in deceptive pricing it is a crime, not a civil action, and will be prosecuted as such.

Go to https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ and select "Other", the bottom "button". The first screen shows several types of companies and at the bottom says "Click here for more options." Click there:

http://screencast.com/t/2zAsS8pjv

On the second screen, select the option that includes "Travel, vacations and timeshares" and mentions cruise lines specifically:

http://screencast.com/t/GdyekkGjWfS

You do not have to show you were "injured" as you do with a civil suit. If the FTC finds X has violated the law against deceptive pricing they will prosecute them, even if you never bought the product, etc.

Have I done this? No, because I don't think it is more than just allowable (albeit scummy) marketing based on their brochure rate.

Seeing how the FTC routinely goes after companies for deceptive pricing they will be overjoyed if you point them in the right direction.

The ships are registered in Malta or Nassau. You might have to sue them where they are registered . Good luck.

I Don't think this has anything to do with where individual ships are registered. Which legal entity is responsible for the advert, it might be different in different countries.

Edited by DYKWIA

w - I would surmize that if it were illegal under 'UK' law, with the number of cruisers sailing from your shores, this would have been addressed some time ago, no? Previously, it would have been Euro laws, I think.

bon voyage....

Not necessarily, companies and industries are being tackled continuously - the travel industry specifically in recent years has been under the spotlight over misleading prices, compulsory hidden charging, flight delay compensation and so on.

Previously and currently it would have been both UK legislation and European Directives. The U.K. Has not left the European Union yet and there is currently no date to do so. We also have no plans to leave Europe.

Enforcement of legislation is an issue. The authorities that regulate these matters have had their funding slashed dramatically

Edited by DYKWIA

Every cabin on every cruise has a "brochure" price which is equivalent to a hotel's "rack rate" which is the highest rate they are allowed to sell a room for (determined in accordance with local regulations). Few ever pay this rate. Any promotions, discounts or offers represent a reduction off of this rate. The cruise lines must, by law, provide you with the brochure rate for your cabin type upon request.

Every cabin on every cruise has a "brochure" price which is equivalent to a hotel's "rack rate" which is the highest rate they are allowed to sell a room for (determined in accordance with local regulations). Few ever pay this rate. Any promotions, discounts or offers represent a reduction off of this rate. The cruise lines must, by law, provide you with the brochure rate for your cabin type upon request.

Brochure pricing and hotel "rack rates" are not "determined in accordance with local regulations" - they are set at what ever the company wants them to be - at least in the US - there are no regulations.

w - I would surmize that if it were illegal under 'UK' law, with the number of cruisers sailing from your shores, this would have been addressed some time ago, no? Previously, it would have been Euro laws, I think.

bon voyage....

Why 'previously'? Nothing has changed yet. More supposition,

Have people complained about recently ramped up prices in the UK?

Stuart

Brochure pricing and hotel "rack rates" are not "determined in accordance with local regulations" - they are set at what ever the company wants them to be - at least in the US - there are no regulations.

In most municipalities the local government does have a bureau that hotels must apply to for licensing. When they submit for the operational license they must typically submit what they maximum daily rate is. They usually inflate it to some exorbitant amount, and most municipalities require hotels to post the rate, along with fire safety information, on the inside of the room in a clearly identifiable location.

I'm not aware of the cruise lines having a similar obligation, other than the FTC will require them to disclose the full "brochure" rate upon request.

I was merely using the hotel "rack rate" as a comparison to cruise line "brochure" rates that are the peg that all other prices are determined from.

In most municipalities the local government does have a bureau that hotels must apply to for licensing. When they submit for the operational license they must typically submit what they maximum daily rate is. They usually inflate it to some exorbitant amount, and most municipalities require hotels to post the rate, along with fire safety information, on the inside of the room in a clearly identifiable location.

I'm not aware of the cruise lines having a similar obligation, other than the FTC will require them to disclose the full "brochure" rate upon request.

I was merely using the hotel "rack rate" as a comparison to cruise line "brochure" rates that are the peg that all other prices are determined from.

It was the part that said rates were "determined in accordance with local regulations" - that is not true - the hotelier can set the rate at whatever it wants - that is not regulated. Posting the "rack rate" is required most places.

Having held a lodging license for 9 years I can say we did not have to submit our rates and were free to change them at will. True some municipalities require submission of room rates but I do not know of any that regulate the rate.

Why 'previously'? Nothing has changed yet. More supposition,

Have people complained about recently ramped up prices in the UK?

Stuart

Yes, many have, who are from the UK.

Also, the equivalent is non-refundable deposits, especially when fares go down they need to pay new deposits and the like...

I do not know about the UK, but fortunately here in the U.S., we have many lines to choose from have few limitations, that we would tolerate for long, about making changes when and how we want with few penalties.

We Americans do talk with our $'s for the most part and companies who operate here, know this. Our approach is different to be sure...

Y'all are still taking cruises AND appear to be complaining about pricing and etc... must be something appealing despite the pricing, right?

bon voyage...

Edited by Bo1953

Not being familiar with UK law in such instances, I readily suggest it is NOT illegal just peeved customers who have yet to either win or bring a class action law suit.

bon voyage

So you're "suggesting", having confessed total unfamiliarity with UK law, that it's not illegal?

You are wrong. As someone has posted, traders claiming a price reduction have to detail when, for how long, and possibly at what outlets, the original price was charged. Such details appear frequently on TV adverts.

At least you didn't claim to know what you were talking about.

Stuart

In "UK law" - (interesting concept) is there such a thing as a class action law suit. ?

Am I able to sue the people (who provided my training ) for negligence in not detailing such proceedings?

I am so grateful to the posters on here for keeping me informed / amused .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='LA_CA_GAL']So unfair!

The government should take over the cruise industry, and should make it everyone's "right to cruise".:rolleyes::eek:[/QUOTE]

The sad part is that there are those who will read this and agree with it, not even realizing it was written tongue-in-cheek:).