Dentists on board Royal ships?

Always wondered if Royal has any dentists on board their ships. Or anyone that could take care of emergencies, such as a broken tooth or loss of one, or a toothache. And what would they do for their crew if they needed a dentist? I always carry a dental kit, but it would not cover certain things and it probably is only for minor aches or injuries anyway.

Just wondered and never really read anything about it on here. I did a search, but it was more for any of the cruise lines and not necessarily for Royal, plus, it was several years old.

Gwen :)

I was in line at Guest Services when someone asked about a broken tooth. There is no dentist onboard, but you can see the doctor. The ship contacted the port agent to arrange for a dentist's appointment in Portland, Maine the next morning when we stopped in Rockland, Maine. It was a Sunday, so I'm sure it took some coordination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No dentists onboard. It is my understanding that if a passenger (and I would imagine crew member) needs emergency dental treatment that the port agent makes arrangements for care by a local dentist at the next port of call. Treatment must be paid in full to the dentist at the time of service, and they can only do what can be accomplished during the time the ship is in port. They also might not have the same sanitary standards or training as you would find in the US/Canada/Western Europe/etc.

If the problem was a major one which couldn't be resolved at least on a temporary basis, the passenger would simply be told they need to go back home for treatment--cruise over, buh-bye. About the only thing I can imagine would be this drastic would be an infection that had gone systemic with a fever, etc.

I was in line at Guest Services when someone asked about a broken tooth. There is no dentist onboard, but you can see the doctor. The ship contacted the port agent to arrange for a dentist's appointment in Portland, Maine the next morning when we stopped in Rockland, Maine. It was a Sunday, so I'm sure it took some coordination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind being sent to a dentist in the US. Just a little cautious about a foreign port. But, hey, if you are in pain, it would be better than nothing.

I still think they should have a dentist for their crew.

Thanks....

When my sister had a broken tooth she was sent to a dentist in Cozumel. The experience with the dentist was great and Karen's home dentist said that the work was top-notch. Guest services told Karen that she was lucky that we were in that specific port because there are some ports where they will not send crew or passengers to a dentist.

Edited by Lady Hudson

I don't know how much it varies by ship, but I was on Voyager a person had a crown come loose and the medical staff had a temp dental cement that helped them get through the trip. I've read a review where a person with a bad tooth ache was given pain meds and was put in contact with a Cozumel dentist. I don't remember if they needed a filling or a root canal, but they got it done for $500.

I wouldn't mind being sent to a dentist in the US. Just a little cautious about a foreign port. But, hey, if you are in pain, it would be better than nothing.

I still think they should have a dentist for their crew.

Thanks....

If a crew member has a pressing dental issue, they will see a dentist in port. If the problem can't be solved there and the need is such that it can't wait until they finish their contract, they will be sent home early. It would not be cost effective to carry a dentist for a problem which might arise once a month.

I've heard great things about the dentist in Cozumel (Carnival pier). Most of the staff that wear braces get them done there. I also know a lot of US passengers that schedule their normal appointments when they go on a cruise. They are much cheaper than our US prices and they do good work.

Thanks for all the informative answers and the link to the thread telling of someone's experience.

Very interesting and happy to hear that the ship will arrange a visit to a dentist instead of just giving you the name and letting it up to you to find the place. Hopefully I will never have to find out for myself, but it is nice to know what to expect should anything happen.

I've heard great things about the dentist in Cozumel (Carnival pier). Most of the staff that wear braces get them done there. I also know a lot of US passengers that schedule their normal appointments when they go on a cruise. They are much cheaper than our US prices and they do good work.

The last couple of cruises we've done on FOS, I've noticed a lot of staff with braces. I assumed they had work done in PC, but turnaround being on a Sunday, there's no way. Cozumel makes perfect sense.

No dentists onboard. It is my understanding that if a passenger (and I would imagine crew member) needs emergency dental treatment that the port agent makes arrangements for care by a local dentist at the next port of call. Treatment must be paid in full to the dentist at the time of service, and they can only do what can be accomplished during the time the ship is in port. They also might not have the same sanitary standards or training as you would find in the US/Canada/Western Europe/etc.

If the problem was a major one which couldn't be resolved at least on a temporary basis, the passenger would simply be told they need to go back home for treatment--cruise over, buh-bye. About the only thing I can imagine would be this drastic would be an infection that had gone systemic with a fever, etc.

In that case the person needs more than a dentist.

As a habit, I always visit my dentist at home, 2 to 3 months before any cruise. If he finds anything that may be a problem, he takes care of it. I know there's no dentist on board, (doctor-yes, dentist-no).;)

We had a dentist at our dinner table once. He said he checks in with the Medical staff upon boarding and brings supplies to handle minor dental procedures. Upon request of the medical staff, he also checks the patient to see if the pain is dental or caused by something else(like sinuses). He has been called upon often to help out. He's D+ with RC.

In that case the person needs more than a dentist.

I had it happen. I was put on strong oral antibiotics by the dentist, and returned a week later to get the offending tooth extracted. By the dentist. No need for anyone else.

It was a back tooth with a giant filling. The whole side of the tooth broke off.

Incredibly I did not feel any pain but it was crumbling.

I went down to the doctor's office It said I just needed it cemented so it would stop crumbing & would get it fixed after the cruise. I assumed I needed a crown. The lady said...that will be $50......I said great , you have a dental kit onboard.

She replied...that is not what I said. For $50. you can see the doctor & he will tell you if he does !

I was so mad. I told my husband that when we got to Vancouver, I was going to look for a neon tooth at the port. Unbelievably, there was one. The dentist there was fabulous. Said he could fix it with out crown & used some sort of bondo stuff.

Bite was perfect. Charged me $100.

I have always carried a dental kit since then.

This was not a Royal C. ship

I had it happen. I was put on strong oral antibiotics by the dentist, and returned a week later to get the offending tooth extracted. By the dentist. No need for anyone else.

So you were septic and treated as an outpatient with oral antibiotics. Interesting. I've seen septic patients develop septic shock and be dead hours later.