"Horror on the High Seas" ? Really?

Peachy59

I laughed out loud when the woman said "40-50" foot waves. We were on GR in March 2014 when we had 25-30 foot waves and that's what those looked like at most. We also had about 90kt winds. Never did we feel in danger. Did I feel sick? Yes, so I went to bed early. The news loves these drama queens and whether what they say is true or not doesn't really matter.

Also, if you choose to only sail in non-hurricane times, that leaves Nov 1- May 1 and as I said above, the worst seas we've had were in March. We were dealing with three low pressure systems and you can't predict that very far out.

Edited by BND

Don't sail June to November?

Actually, during June to November if there are no hurricanes present it is typically more calm than in the off season.

Caveat: don't book from the Northeast. If people are that worried, they have to understand that the threat is there. June & July are usually fine, the end of August to the end of September is usually when we get the most activity.

Friends of mine both get seasick very easily and have resisted cruising. When I was on Liberty, the Captain told me to tell them not to leave from up here but to fly to Florida after hurricane season. We were on Liberty out of FLL in March of 2014 and it was perfect.

My DH will not cruise off the upper east coast with the known rough waters.

Even if there are calm seas for a couple months he will not chance it.

We sailed once behind Hurricaine Dan and the seas were a little rough, he was not happy. Nothing you could do about it, but to schedule in an area that has a higher probability of it.................forget it.

Safe travels.

A news story says "The Mom won the trip at work and decided to take her daughter".

If true, just imagine her outrage if she actually paid for the cruise.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=948655

I guess this ... http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/tropical-storm-turns-family-cruise-into-a-nightmare-1.3066586 is a follow up to the news story shot when they landed at the airport.

I laughed out loud when the woman said "40-50" foot waves. We were on GR in March 2014 when we had 25-30 foot waves and that's what those looked like at most. We also had about 90kt winds...

We were in the tail end of a typhoon when crossing the Gulf of Alaska sailing eastward. Once at home, checked with the Weather Office which reported winds up to 60 mph or about 52 knots and seas up to 35 feet or 10.5 metres. 30% of passengers still managed to eat in the dining room as did I. BTW, 90 knot winds would approximate 104 mph. That force of wind would produce mountainous seas...

I guess this ... http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/tropical-storm-turns-family-cruise-into-a-nightmare-1.3066586 is a follow up to the news story shot when they landed at the airport.

We "sailed into the eye of Hermine"? I must have been on a different Anthem cruise.:rolleyes::cool:

The two videos in that news article do not even show the worst of the waves. Yes, it was a rough sailing for a while and if you were sick, I am sure you were miserable, but at least get the facts straight.

We "sailed into the eye of Hermine"? I must have been on a different Anthem cruise.:rolleyes::cool:

The two videos in that news article do not even show the worst of the waves. Yes, it was a rough sailing for a while and if you were sick, I am sure you were miserable, but at least get the facts straight.

And the eye was calm, as it should be.

If they sailed into the eye, then I'm even more impressed. That would mean Anthem has the ability to travel back in time, and somehow be able to cruise through the Gulf of Mexico on her way to Bermuda.....because a week prior in the Gulf was the only time this storm had an eye.

Edited by Aquahound

I have done over 20 cruises... with some roughish seas.. but a hurricane. no.

I think they should have at least told the passengers this was a possibility and given them the option to get off the boat.

This is the second time this has happened to this ship. Something is wrong.

Would not trust this cruise line.

by the way there is another thread about this cruise on this board.

I'd trust the cruise line, ship, captain and crew again.

We were in the tail end of a typhoon when crossing the Gulf of Alaska sailing eastward. Once at home, checked with the Weather Office which reported winds up to 60 mph or about 52 knots and seas up to 35 feet or 10.5 metres. 30% of passengers still managed to eat in the dining room as did I. BTW, 90 knot winds would approximate 104 mph. That force of wind would produce mountainous seas...

The 90 knots was apparent winds, not actual winds. But, we have had close to 100 mph apparent winds on several cruises out of MD and NJ. Wave height is not caused just by winds nearby. Waves build and depending on the storm and size they will be close together, far apart, rolling in one direction or very mixed.

My point was I have been in 25-30 foot waves on a much smaller ship and those waves were not as high. If she was in the winds and waves she said, everyone would have been told to stay in their cabins. That wasn't the case. At our MDR table of 8 on GR, there were only two of us that didn't eat dinner that night. We were thrilled to have only 15 foot seas when we woke up. We've been on cruises where people complain about 8 foot seas and how rough it is, lol.

Edited by BND

I was on the Jewel of the Seas in late October 2011 sailing from Boston. We left as a Nor'easter was coming in. The first night there were occasionally waves washing over the promenade deck and of course all the outside decks were closed. I think the winds were over 100 knots at one point. All I can say is that ship has some darn good stabilizers because, although it was rough, it really wasn't that bad on board.

I was in the Champagne Bar after dinner sitting at the bar with my back to the window holding my drink with one hand and the metal pipe on the edge of the bar with the other. It was quite an adventure!

I was on the Caribbean Princess, the day before the storm, we walked the Brooklyn Bridge in absolutely beautiful weather, mild temps, amazing blue sky. The next morning we awoke to rain, but no mention of bad weather.

We boarded, after we settled in and went to go outside, we were shocked to find inches of slush on the decks. As we waited to sail, we waited, waited, finally it was announced we would be staying in port (Red Hook, Brooklyn) until morning. We heard that the ships that had sailed on time, were rockin and rollin. Glad we stayed in port. The next day, under sunny skies, the deck hands were doing their work dressed in PARKAS!!

Edited by myfuzzy

I have done over 20 cruises... with some roughish seas.. but a hurricane. no.

I think they should have at least told the passengers this was a possibility and given them the option to get off the boat.

This is the second time this has happened to this ship. Something is wrong.

Would not trust this cruise line.

by the way there is another thread about this cruise on this board.

Another ill informed ignorant post.....K.O.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seas were MUCH rougher than this video. We knew before we got to the port and boarded the ship what we were getting into. We went prepared with seasickness meds, and none of us got sick. We also held onto handrails on the steps, and walking down the hall bounced from one side to the other.

Oh, you, with your common sense! :p