Not Impressed with Getaway for young kids

DisneyTwins

We sailed on the Getaway last week (9/4 sailing) and I did a ton of research on these forums, so I wanted to first say thank you to everyone. I also wanted to provide some feedback for other cruisers with young children, so that they are not surprised by what we experienced.

We did extensive research on both the cruise line and the ship, and were expecting to have a relaxing and enjoyable cruise with our family. Unfortunately, the week was mostly stressful and disappointing because of Norwegian’s issues and policies.

We were part of a 25-person group, and it honestly felt like some of us were on a completely different cruise line from some of our cruise-mates. This was due to both expectations about good customer service and a desire to have a quality experience for a family with young children.

The Getaway is not intended to be a family vacation for young children, even though Norwegian markets it for all families. We attempted multiple sit-down restaurants, and none of them were appropriate for our children. Each meal took between 2 - 3 hours, and many servers were visibly disappointed to be having to wait on a table with two four-year-olds. We encountered sighs and eye rolls from several of our servers when they realized they would be serving us. Other cruise lines cater to the children with magic tricks, napkin tricks, jokes, and attention. We never saw anything like this on the Getaway. The cruise line only has heavy glassware available and no straws, and servers didn’t honor our repeated requests to only fill the water/milk glasses up halfway. Since the boys are independent and are used to drinking and eating on their own, we had many dropped/spilled glasses, which upset both the boys and ourselves. In most cases, the servers and wait staff were also frustrated by this. The standard kids menu is very basic and doesn’t offer fruit or vegetables. When we requested alternate sides or anything not on the standard menu, we were either told it was impossible because they would have to go to another galley and find it, or that it just wasn’t offered. Only 2 servers were willing to bring a fruit plate or yogurt the entire week, and we were never able to get vegetables for them. We also had to skip dessert at most of our sit-down meals, as we couldn’t get our servers to take a dessert order for the boys until after we had been sitting there for 2-3 hours. A good example of how our table was treated differently was at Teppanyaki- an upcharge restaurant. Our chef didn’t even try to entertain our grill with throwing food, tricks, or songs- like the other chefs in the room. Our food was prepared and served, and that was it. To work around this, we ended up having to eat the majority of our meals in the buffet. This worked well, but was definitely not the experience were were hoping to get.

The programming onboard the ship mirrors our dining experiences- there were very few scheduled activities for families. Adults and teens did have scheduled activities, but families were left on their own. According to older freestyles online, the Getaway used to offer family karaoke, cupcake decorating, make your own pizza, crafts, and other similar things, but this was not offered on our cruise. There was a family cupcake activity offered on the last night, but it was during the dinner hour, which is not a good time for most families.

The Kids Club was the source of our greatest frustration. Our boys have been in a daycare/preschool setting and are successful there. They are used to being in social situations. They are also twins and are high energy. They are typical four year olds and will sometimes misbehave and not want to always follow direction. The Kids Club staff was not prepared to deal with high energy preschoolers or twins that were affectionate and physical. The structured format of the programming means that if a child isn’t interested in the 1 offered activity, they have to sit in a time-out and the child is labeled as a troublemaker. The disciplinary steps were provided in writing at the beginning of the cruise, but the Getaway staff was inconsistent and had very poor communication skills. We were told early on that they had concerns about the boys being physical with each other and that they had to stay involved with the activity or else they would be in trouble. We asked several times if we had started the disciplinary process and were assured by multiple staff members that we had not- they wanted to be proactive to help the boys and the other children enjoy the experience. On our first port day, one of our boys had an issue with another child. Our son was wearing a Disney princess shirt, and the girl in the kids club told him that he was wearing a girl shirt and made fun of him. Our son tried to ask the staff for help and was ignored. When the girl continued to make fun of him, our son got angry and pushed the girl away from him. We were informed at pick-up that he had pushed the girl, but the staff ignored the incident and did not handle the bullying appropriately. A few days later, the same girl caused another issue and our son was forceful in trying to push her away. We were called to pick up both of our sons and were told that we couldn’t return to the kids club for 24 hours, which would have been for the end of the cruise. When we pointed out that we weren’t on the disciplinary steps, the kids club staff struggled to explain how they failed to follow their own policy and didn’t communicate these steps to us. We were able to have our children participate in the final circus show, but only after having multiple conversations with the kids club director and the cruise director. The lack of activities and non-child friendly meals combined with the inconsistent expectations and poor communication sets high-energy children up to fail.

The Getaway is a very large ship and is very crowded. Unfortunately, there is not enough staffing to handle the crowds and we experienced many issues with getting drinks or placing orders. The staff was working as hard they could, but they seemed overwhelmed and new. Providing exceptional customer service was just not something most crew were interested in.

Because of these issues, we were very disappointed in our cruise. Instead of a relaxing vacation, it ended up being stressful and disappointing.

Not sure how to take your review. You say you want others to know your experience, yet you didn't state facts. I have been on several NCL cruises with my young grandchildren, and all restaurants have a children's menu and fruit and veggies was on them. Straws? I order water with every meal and I always receive a straw. How hard would it have been to ask for an extra glass and portion your children's drinks? As many times as I've read it, I have never taken 2-3 hours in a restaurant unless it was by choice, and we have frequently dined at tables serving 8. The Splash Academy has always been awesome with the kids, no exceptions. I think the problems are with you and your children. From your description, they sound a bit undisciplined for 4 YO and you kept making excuses for them. You are on vacation but it is not a vacation from your kids. Your children were asked to leave the SA because they were rambunctious and interfering with the safe entertainment of the other children. Another disgruntled passenger review that doesn't depict reality. Maybe you should try to be more gruntled. I feel sorry for the other members of your group. Not sure why, but I do.

No mater what type of vacation or trip you take with young children, you as the parent has to go into it knowing you have to be flexible. Eating with young children anywhere, sometimes requires one parent to have to leave early with the children, or entertain them in some way, etc. I would not sit at a restaurant for 3 hours myself, even if you paid me, sure children wouldn't want to do that either. With 25 of you, seems you could have had a variety of options and/or help. Sounds like you did some of the pay restaurants, wouldn't have done those with 4 year olds either. First time the server refused to get you what you needed or refused to take an order for desert, why didn't you ask one of his bosses if his responses were true?

As a grandmother, we are planning on cruising when our grands get a little older. We want them to be able to enjoy the trip and remember it too. MDR has been good enough for us up to this point also. But with the children would have done the buffet some nights also.

Won't get into the kids club thing, but maybe it's just as a mother of 3 sons . . . . . . . . .:D

I am sorry your family did not have a good time. We are going on our first NCL cruise in November but have been on many others (Disney, RCCL, Costa, Carnival). I am thinking that maybe it is mandatory that they ask children who physically touch another child to leave the kids club? Not sure though.

Really weird that the restaurants didn't have veggies? So there were no veggies for adults either? Seems so strange.

Sorry you didn't have a good time. On our cruises when kids were little, we would feed them in the buffet then go to dinner while they were in the club. We have similar habits when going to a fancier sit down dinner anywhere - even Disney. IMO no child should be forced to sit down for a long dinner. An early dinner combined with morning pool time (before it got busy) was definitely enough to keep mine worn out and entertained.

Teppanyaki can be hit or miss it seems - I doubt that was related to your kids.

Hopefully your next vacation experience is better, but I do suggest you allow your kids to be kids and not force them to eat dinner with 25 people. That sounds like the most dull time ever from a 4 yos perspective - waiting for 23 adults to order, sit, wait. Definitely not a healthy expectation for very normal 4 yos.

Not sure how to take your review. You say you want others to know your experience, yet you didn't state facts. I have been on several NCL cruises with my young grandchildren, and all restaurants have a children's menu and fruit and veggies was on them. Straws? I order water with every meal and I always receive a straw. How hard would it have been to ask for an extra glass and portion your children's drinks? As many times as I've read it, I have never taken 2-3 hours in a restaurant unless it was by choice, and we have frequently dined at tables serving 8. The Splash Academy has always been awesome with the kids, no exceptions. I think the problems are with you and your children. From your description, they sound a bit undisciplined for 4 YO and you kept making excuses for them. You are on vacation but it is not a vacation from your kids. Your children were asked to leave the SA because they were rambunctious and interfering with the safe entertainment of the other children. Another disgruntled passenger review that doesn't depict reality. Maybe you should try to be more gruntled. I feel sorry for the other members of your group. Not sure why, but I do.

Bingo.

People- this is obviously a joke.

Sounds like a prank call to Dr Laura.

No straws or veggies and defending her kids ( I have twins) pushing a child for "bullying"? 3 hour meals?

How come I eat Veggies and fruits and have straws when I eat on NCL?

And the restaurants give you plastic cups from the bar if you ask. They even have plastic cups for kids

One bit of advice- maybe that whole daycare thing ain't working out so well. Because someone has taught these 2 "affectionate" boys that harming someone is an appropriate response to being teased.

Or perhaps their behavior was because they didn't like being left at the Academy or they felt sad or whatever. It is the parent's responsibility to see to the emotional needs of the kiddos.

Dang

Man up, Mom and take responsibility for dragging rambunctious tots to inappropriate dining situations and exposing other children to their physicality.

Edited by Annmeat

Not sure how to take your review. You say you want others to know your experience, yet you didn't state facts. I have been on several NCL cruises with my young grandchildren, and all restaurants have a children's menu and fruit and veggies was on them. Straws? I order water with every meal and I always receive a straw.

I never saw a straw when I dined. I never asked for one, so I can't say they don't have them, but I will say I was never voluntarily given a straw.

Also - the availablility of fresh fruits and vegetables has always bothered me while cruising NCL. Link to current kids menu: (Note - NO Fruits or Vegetables on it)

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Norwegian-Cruise-Kids-Menu-86.jpg

So maybe OP was giving some facts after all.

I never saw a straw when I dined. I never asked for one, so I can't say they don't have them, but I will say I was never voluntarily given a straw.

Also - the availablility of fresh fruits and vegetables has always bothered me while cruising NCL. Link to current kids menu: (Note - NO Fruits or Vegetables on it)

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Norwegian-Cruise-Kids-Menu-86.jpg

You don't have to use just the kids menu. There is always a fruit cup, etc. and after the first meal, if Mom didn't see items on the kids menu that were appropriate for her children, she could have ordered from the adult menu.

I have photos of straws in drinks on the tables. I always use a straw.

I've sailed with NCL 3 times with my 5 kids (the youngest are twins), and found the staff on the BA to Beverly friendly with them. Maybe the kids need I learn to behave better. I've never had a dinner las longer than 1 1/2 hours, and never expected staff to have to do magic tricks at meals. Many kids prefer the structure of the kids clubs vs the chaos of DCL's.

OP - thanks for sharing your experience.

With a lifetime in the hospitality industry, I have a keen perspective on the type of guest you are and how your expectations were not able to be met.

My time on the Getaway (with young ones as well) was vastly different than yours. I would not hesitate to sail her again when the time, itinerary and price match my needs.

Your review will certainly be considered by others planning to sail with young children with unique behavioral and dining peccadillos. Choosing another line seems to be the only suggestion I can offer. Only Disney comes to mind but even then I am sure you will encounter similar frustrations with how your situation may be approached by staff.

I hope you are able to find the right cruising experience for you and your family as clearly the Getaway wasn't it.

Edited by StolidCruiser

I have had dinners take 2+ hours, and had to leave to take kids to splash academy at 7, when we were seated at 5:30 and still had not received our entrées.

My son (8), has described splash academy in the same way as well - you do the activity or sit in time out. He actually hates it, though we keep trying each cruise - this has held true on Jewel, Jade, and Sky. I'm actually thinking about changing from Dawn to Getaway for spring break so there is more to do - even though it would mean leaving out of NY in March (instead of NOLA). My 5 year old likes it, though.

I have had dinners take 2+ hours, and had to leave to take kids to splash academy at 7, when we were seated at 5:30 and still had not received our entrées.

My son (8), has described splash academy in the same way as well - you do the activity or sit in time out. He actually hates it, though we keep trying each cruise - this has held true on Jewel, Jade, and Sky. I'm actually thinking about changing from Dawn to Getaway for spring break so there is more to do - even though it would mean leaving out of NY in March (instead of NOLA). My 5 year old likes it, though.

Getaway leaves from Miami

Is the op so uninformed about life that he/she couldn't just order veggies from the adult menu?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never cruised with 4 year olds, but I can't imagine it being a smooth experience on any ship. Nevertheless, I can attest to the 2+ hours in restaurants. Service times have gone to hell lately on NCL. It's almost impossible to get done in less than 1.5 hours. Add a large group and little children to the mix and it's a recipe for disaster.

Cruising with a 9 year old is much easier because they can eat on their own at the buffet if need be. The best advice I could give for smaller children who can't be left on their own would be to feed them separately at the buffet. In fact, the newer ships ought to have a mini buffet area for little kids. The biggest problem with the Splash Academy is that it's closed on sea days during dinner times. You're essentially forced to bring them along to dinner.

People- this is obviously a joke.

Sounds like a prank call to Dr Laura.

No straws or veggies and defending her kids ( I have twins) pushing a child for "bullying"? 3 hour meals?

How come I eat Veggies and fruits and have straws when I eat on NCL?

And the restaurants give you plastic cups from the bar if you ask. They even have plastic cups for kids

One bit of advice- maybe that whole daycare thing ain't working out so well. Because someone has taught these 2 "affectionate" boys that harming someone is an appropriate response to being teased.

Or perhaps their behavior was because they didn't like being left at the Academy or they felt sad or whatever. It is the parent's responsibility to see to the emotional needs of the kiddos.

Dang

Man up, Mom and take responsibility for dragging rambunctious tots to inappropriate dining situations and exposing other children to their physicality.

These were my thoughts.

This post was so drastically different than the other thousands of reports I've read, that I have to wonder why. It doesn't even make sense.

Edited by LrgPizza

Thanks for those who spoke up defending me. I am definitely not placing all of the blame on NCL- if another child hurt my kids in the Splash Academy, I would have expected the staff to take appropriate action. My frustrations in the kids club were primarily because of inconsistency and communication- at no point were we ever told that we were on the published steps, and when we questioned them about the physicality/affectionate issues they had with my boys, we were told it was because they didn't want to separate and insisted on sitting together with arms around each older/holding hands. The bullying incident was not handled at all- but we did address the pushing with our children and they were disciplined once we were told. The boys were only in the club for a 2 to 2 1/2 hours at night, as this was definitely not intended to be a vacation away from them. We wanted to enjoy time with them and our friends, and had hoped to see the shows or participate in more adult activities some of the time. We were also looking forward to participating in some family activities with them, but the Getaway doesn't really offer programming for them. We had a great time on the kids ropes course, mini-golf, and the kids pool, and the boys loved the 3 ports we did- absolutely no issues there.

As far as the dining, let me share some more details to help make it more clear. Our total group was 25, but we only ate 1 meal together as a group- at Teppanyaki. And due to the nature of that restaurant, we were obviously divided between multiple grills. We ate at 3 specialty restaurants and in the MDR (for lunch and dinner) 3 times, and at O'Sheehans once. Every single one of those meals did last for 2-3 hours, and our average table size was probably about 6 for those. Many times it was just the 4 of us. We did bring activities to entertain the boys for each and every meal- sticker books, books, coloring books, Magnetab (magnetic coloring-type boards), markers, etc. The boys did very well for the beginning of each meal, but they were definitely ready to go by the end and we did remove them if necessary. We did ask for extra glasses, but they were filled to the top as well. And we did ask for plastic glasses and straws, and were always told no- at every single restaurant. The standard kids menu (as others have posted) doesn't contain fruit or veggies- fries or chips are the only sides. We did share ours with them, but then we didn't get a full meal either.

We have vacationed with them many times and haven't run into issues like this before, and since it was so consistent, I felt that it was more about Norwegian's policies/issues than a misbehaving child.

I was on the same cruise with 2 little ones (3 and 20 months) and had a pretty different experience. We were pleased overall with the kids club for our 3 year old and didn't feel that the wait staff didn't want us there. We all had a great time overall, but there were a few things that could be done better.

Service times were long for the specialty restaurants. We usually ordered, took the kids outside and let them run around and then have someone let them run around outside again during dessert.

They scheduled all of the guppies (under 3) activities for 12:30 and 5:30, which are nap time and bordering on dinner time for most little ones.

They didn't have lids for any of the cups at the restaurants, but straws were no problem. The only lids we were able to find were from the atrium cafe coffee shop. When dining in the steakhouse, they actually went to the atrium cafe to get them for us.

I was on the same cruise with 2 little ones (3 and 20 months) and had a pretty different experience. We were pleased overall with the kids club for our 3 year old and didn't feel that the wait staff didn't want us there. We all had a great time overall, but there were a few things that could be done better.

Service times were long for the specialty restaurants. We usually ordered, took the kids outside and let them run around and then have someone let them run around outside again during dessert.

They scheduled all of the guppies (under 3) activities for 12:30 and 5:30, which are nap time and bordering on dinner time for most little ones.

They didn't have lids for any of the cups at the restaurants, but straws were no problem. The only lids we were able to find were from the atrium cafe coffee shop. When dining in the steakhouse, they actually went to the atrium cafe to get them for us.

Interesting, I think those are great times. All of my kids napped 9 - 11, and 2 - 4, until about 18 months, when they napped from 1 - 4 (I had a lot of kids close in age, so nap time was pretty strict).

OP - thanks for sharing your experience.

With a lifetime in the hospitality industry, I have a keen perspective on the type of guest you are and how your expectations were not able to be met.

My time on the Getaway (with young ones as well) was vastly different than yours. I would not hesitate to sail her again when the time, itinerary and price match my needs.

Your review will certainly be considered by others planning to sail with young children with unique behavioral and dining peccadillos. Choosing another line seems to be the only suggestion I can offer. Only Disney comes to mind but even then I am sure you will encounter similar frustrations with how your situation may be approached by staff.

I hope you are able to find the right cruising experience for you and your family as clearly the Getaway wasn't it.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this response. In all my years of reading on CC, I don't think I've read another more tactfully worded response....to say what probably needed to be... trailing off here.... :) :) :)

Edited by rgmacm

You know how many 2-3 hours meals I would have had with 4 year olds? One. Then all other meals would be at the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that small kids shouldn't be expected to site for 2-3 hours for a meal. However, this is something that NCL NEEDS TO FIX. They are obligated to correct this. On Disney and RC meals are brought out quick (especially kids meals) and everyone is happy. As an adult I don't want to sit for that long either. Our first time will be in November and I keep hoping this will change but seems like the long meals are here to stay.