Not Impressed with Getaway for young kids

DisneyTwins

On my last two cruises (RCI & Carnival), the average meal lasted at least 1 1/2 hours, and most closer to 2 hours. In the 90s, I do remember it being shorter, even with an extra course served, but time alters memory. It looks like your prior cruising experience is with Disney - do they have much shorter dinners?

I agree that small kids shouldn't be expected to site for 2-3 hours for a meal. However, this is something that NCL NEEDS TO FIX. They are obligated to correct this. On Disney and RC meals are brought out quick (especially kids meals) and everyone is happy. As an adult I don't want to sit for that long either. Our first time will be in November and I keep hoping this will change but seems like the long meals are here to stay.

While everyone has different experiences I can honestly say that in all my NCL cruises I have never had a meal that took three hours, not even close.

...and when we questioned them about the physicality/affectionate issues they had with my boys, we were told it was because they didn't want to separate and insisted on sitting together with arms around each older/holding hands.

WHAT?!!

You know your children better than the staff possibly could. If this is typical behavior by your kids, Splash Academy was never going to work for them.

The bullying incident was not handled at all- but we did address the pushing with our children and they were disciplined once we were told.

Yet....

A few days later, the same girl caused another issue and our son was forceful in trying to push her away.

It isn't the staff that is the problem. And no, the problem isn't the "homophobic bullying-girl who verbally assaulted your dear affectionate angelic child" :rolleyes:

We have vacationed with them many times and haven't run into issues like this before, and since it was so consistent, I felt that it was more about Norwegian's policies/issues than a misbehaving child.

The most constant thing was your child physically touching/shoving someone else's child. You can describe them as "affectionate and physical" but if their behavior is inappropriate, NCL isn't the problem.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I agree that small kids shouldn't be expected to site for 2-3 hours for a meal. However, this is something that NCL NEEDS TO FIX. They are obligated to correct this. On Disney and RC meals are brought out quick (especially kids meals) and everyone is happy. As an adult I don't want to sit for that long either. Our first time will be in November and I keep hoping this will change but seems like the long meals are here to stay.

I sure hope they do not change this. We happen to enjoy the leisurely meals. There is the buffet, and other dining options for those that want to rush.

On my last two cruises (RCI & Carnival), the average meal lasted at least 1 1/2 hours, and most closer to 2 hours. In the 90s, I do remember it being shorter, even with an extra course served, but time alters memory. It looks like your prior cruising experience is with Disney - do they have much shorter dinners?

That is the norm. even the wait staff does not want you there for 3 hours.

People- this is obviously a joke.

Sounds like a prank call to Dr Laura.

No straws or veggies and defending her kids ( I have twins) pushing a child for "bullying"? 3 hour meals?

How come I eat Veggies and fruits and have straws when I eat on NCL?

And the restaurants give you plastic cups from the bar if you ask. They even have plastic cups for kids

One bit of advice- maybe that whole daycare thing ain't working out so well. Because someone has taught these 2 "affectionate" boys that harming someone is an appropriate response to being teased.

Or perhaps their behavior was because they didn't like being left at the Academy or they felt sad or whatever. It is the parent's responsibility to see to the emotional needs of the kiddos.

Dang

Man up, Mom and take responsibility for dragging rambunctious tots to inappropriate dining situations and exposing other children to their physicality.

They kind of lost me when they said the servers didn't like waiting on a table with children. In all of my cruises and dinners in the specialty restaurants, the wait staff has always doted on children. They might not do magic tricks (which I think is asking a lot, as the servers should have not entertain someone's children, that is the parents responsibility), but they have always enjoyed and interacted with them, because many of them have children back home that they miss. Then I read on about no straws. I always get a diet soda in the specialty restaurants and they have always offered me a straw. If certain type of cups or cups with lids or straws are a must for a child, it is the parent's responsibility to bring them to make sure they will have them, just in case a restaurant doesn't have them. Then the vegetables that no one would get for them. First, aren't there vegetables on the specialty restaurant menu? They could have ordered them. Second, the servers are so willing to do anything for the passengers, unless the passengers are demanding, snarky and rude, that they would go anywhere to get something a passenger wanted. In the Teppanyki restaurant on my last cruise, two of us joked how we would like the chocolate lava cake for dessert and the server left and came back with them. I'm also wondering how the Teppanyaki restaurants can take two or three hours, because the times are usually 5:30 and 7:15 and 9:00. If their meals took two to three hours in every restaurant, I think that the common denominator is the family, as not everyone's meals take that long unless it is by choice. Edited by NLH Arizona

While everyone has different experiences I can honestly say that in all my NCL cruises I have never had a meal that took three hours, not even close.

On DCL, we always had to leave before dessert because the meals took way too long for our (then) young son. Those MDR meals were the longest of my life, consistently, on all 3 cruises.

On NCL, with the exception of 1 time that took 2 hours, I've never been in a restaurant or MDR longer than 90 minutes. I can't even imagine.

If my kid couldn't sit long enough for a 3 or 4 course dinner (which most kids that age probably can't), then there are other options, such as the buffet. It sucks that it took the OP a while to figure this out. The normal behavior of kids isn't something that's an NCL issue to fix.

Parent! (It's a verb.)

Edited by LrgPizza

That's what we did for our DD7 on the Escape. In fact, she ordered from the adult menu as we didn't want her eating nuggets, mac n cheese, etc all week long.

This is what I plan to do as well, since mine is a steak eater. I don't mind a 1.5 hour dinner but really don't want it to stretch to 2.5-3. It's funny how everyone has different experiences. On Disney and RC our dinners were quick and good quality. The wait staff was great and accommodating as well.

That's what we did for our DD7 on the Escape. In fact, she ordered from the adult menu as we didn't want her eating nuggets, mac n cheese, etc all week long.

I wasn't aware that children could order food from the adult menu. That's good to know because I have been seriously concerned about what my 11 year old was going to eat all week without us spending every meal at the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wasn't aware that children could order food from the adult menu. That's good to know because I have been seriously concerned about what my 11 year old was going to eat all week without us spending every meal at the buffet.

Hopefully someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they will be charged as adults if they order from the adult menu.

We found the meals to last at a minimum 2 hours on pretty much every cruise we have ever been on. With some bordering closer to 2 1/2. Wait staff can be extremely slow and not on the ball when taking away courses, bringing the next etc. I find this more so with the anytime dining, rather than set. The set dining times seem to follow more of a flow while the anytime has just everyone running around everywhere and no specific flow to follow from table to table.

I have to say too I don't overly recall many vegetables listed on the menu's on cruises in general. Normally you see just things like broccoli, carrots, peas and green beans. I rarely seem them listed as just sides to order, but rather they are associated with different meals on the menu. While many will bring you things as requested, in our experience we found this the least friendly option on NCL except in the specialty restaurants.

I want to stick up for the OP a little bit here.

Kids Program: I've certainly seen my share of really good, really bad, and really average people running the program. The complaint that they aren't following their own process is very valid. Defaulting to kicking him out when you didn't follow your own process is bad.

Dining Rooms: Some people are new to cruising, or are simply not demanding. We are rule followers. I order what's on the menu and I don't make demands for special things. I don't order extra appetizers and double plates of food. I don't order adult meals for kids who won't eat all that food. Kids meals should be healthy and have options. NCL, you are making specialty dining part part of the expected experience - so make it kid friendly. Servers, when there are little kids, you need to move that meal along. All good restaurants know this.

Cruise lines: you don't collect enough feedback from your customers. The family experience needs improvement. My teenager has no POOL on the Breakaway. That's crap. She was kicked out of the main pool and wants no part of water guns, slapping noodles and being jumped on by 5 year olds in the kids pool. Teens don't all play volleyball and have dance parties. Hold an array of activities for different types of kids.

We were on the Getaway in January with our 4 and 6 year old and we had an amazing time! The kids had the best time of all. They loved the water area and the water slides and most of all, the kids club!! They begged us to go back every night. Dinners are long on any cruise line and we never experienced one rude person during our dining experiences. I know that everyone has different experiences but we go into each cruise knowing that we have to be flexible since we cruise with our kids. Sorry your experience was not what you expected it to be.

Anyone can order from the adult menu, just keep in mind there is a charge for it, as you either pay the fixed dining price (teppanyaki and Moderno) or a la carte (Cagney's, LeBistro, La Cucina, etc.) or you have a SDP.

I really enjoyed the review. I suspect the OP's child getting in trouble in the kid's place really was a downer and set the tone for the entire cruise.

Magic tricks by waitresses in the MDR? I suspect if this is important to you and your children you should book Disney or attend the cartoon breakfasts on NCL every morning.

A new ship like Getaway has endless hours of things for kids to do.

Edited by david_sobe

Ordering off the adult menu is my 9yo nephew's FAVORITE things about cruising. Makes me laugh so hard when he tells people post-cruise that his favorite part was the ribeye as big as his head haha (we also get specialty dining).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk