Bidding for Haven/Upgrades

leeker13

fyi, this is the "Bidding for Haven/Upgrades" thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=974207

Um yup. It is. Thanks.

My relevant post in this thread had to do with amount to bid on Haven, vs full price Haven and my experiences on "Bidding for Haven/Upgrades" which I am passing onto other members, for their edification, which is the intent of this Forum group. Also relevant is the fact that when "Bidding for Haven/Upgrades" we are Sharing the fact that a competitor offers a similar or improved experience for equal or less cost, which when "Bidding for Haven/Upgrades" is great information and a great benchmark to share with other members to assist them in making an educated decision on what amount to slide the offer slider when....."Bidding for Haven/Upgrades".

But again, thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Um yup. It is. Thanks.

My relevant post in this thread had to do with amount to bid on Haven, vs full price Haven and my experiences on "Bidding for Haven/Upgrades" which I am passing onto other members, for their edification, which is the intent of this Forum group. Also relevant is the fact that when "Bidding for Haven/Upgrades" we are Sharing the fact that a competitor offers a similar or improved experience for equal or less cost, which when "Bidding for Haven/Upgrades" is great information and a great benchmark to share with other members to assist them in making an educated decision on what amount to slide the offer slider when....."Bidding for Haven/Upgrades".

But again, thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, you were talking about upgrades. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Folks come here often to find out about upgrades and give up because there are so many posts about other topics. Then they start a new one.

Posts about other cruise lines is of course good information. But what if people started sharing about a dozen different cruiselines, and what suites are best and what time of year, etc.

Sorry if I offended.

They let you bid for 2 different category . The next up from your booked cabin, then the next after. We booked OV, email has one bid for balcony. One for mini suite. Don't need a mini suite but would love a balcony room. Strange on the NCL Dawn, the balcony is a hundred more than the mini suites. Figured they might have more mini suites unsold. As before, happy with the room i picked. But for a little extra will enjoy the upgrade. Never in room till after midnight or 1am so noise is not a factor. Plus get up early so early morning noise is ok for me. My wife likes to sleep in so that might be a factor. Lol, ear plugs are cheap......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

They let you bid for 2 different category . The next up from your booked cabin, then the next after. We booked OV, email has one bid for balcony. One for mini suite. Don't need a mini suite but would love a balcony room. Strange on the NCL Dawn, the balcony is a hundred more than the mini suites. Figured they might have more mini suites unsold. As before, happy with the room i picked. But for a little extra will enjoy the upgrade. Never in room till after midnight or 1am so noise is not a factor. Plus get up early so early morning noise is ok for me. My wife likes to sleep in so that might be a factor. Lol, ear plugs are cheap......

While we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, the extra room enhances our enjoyment of the cruise I like being organized and having enough space for everything we bring on board The balconies on NCL ships are small compared to other cruise lines. Bottom line do what works for you and your budget.

While we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, the extra room enhances our enjoyment of the cruise I like being organized and having enough space for everything we bring on board The balconies on NCL ships are small compared to other cruise lines. Bottom line do what works for you and your budget.

Lol. I like a bigger room as we are NOT organized. A balcony room is great, as in port for 3 days. But the original price difference was too large. Spoiled with larger rooms on Anthem. Hope to win, but will enjoy the room we booked.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how NCL determines who gets an opportunity to bid for an upgrade? We're 76 days our from our cruise and I have not received a bid but I have read from our cruise Roll Call that there are some that have received email invitations to bid.

I'm just curious to know if there is any rhyme or reason for how NCL chooses who receives invitations to bid? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Cheers,

Tony

Does anyone know how NCL determines who gets an opportunity to bid for an upgrade? We're 76 days our from our cruise and I have not received a bid but I have read from our cruise Roll Call that there are some that have received email invitations to bid.

I'm just curious to know if there is any rhyme or reason for how NCL chooses who receives invitations to bid? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Cheers,

Tony

Based on earlier posts, some TA's do not participate.

Also, many folks have indicated they did not get an email, but found the offer when they logged into MYNCL. Some saw a banner. Some had to look at the little INBOX to see the link.

And of course, if they ship is REALLY sold out, they will not bother sending any. The next part is my guess, but .... If they think they can only upgrade 2 people from a certain category, then they may not send out invites to a few hundred. They may want to avoid dealing with so many people at that point. As to who they pick in that situation, if it even exists? Probably will never know.

Cheers,

Tony

Usually 80 days out from other posters, and it was that date for my email from NCL. But some TAs have opted out. Check with you TA. See that many don't want the extra work for the little return they may receive. If that's the case your out of luck. But if enough cruisers say it's the last time they book through them, it's might change the practice. Good luck. Also check online if they have the offer in the message center on NCL.

Based on earlier posts, some TA's do not participate.

Also, many folks have indicated they did not get an email, but found the offer when they logged into MYNCL. Some saw a banner. Some had to look at the little INBOX to see the link.

And of course, if they ship is REALLY sold out, they will not bother sending any. The next part is my guess, but .... If they think they can only upgrade 2 people from a certain category, then they may not send out invites to a few hundred. They may want to avoid dealing with so many people at that point. As to who they pick in that situation, if it even exists? Probably will never know.

Im sure even with a small amount of available cabins, the more the merrier. It's all automatic, more invites make for more chance of over bidding. Either they take the bid or not. I see the cost savings to NCL as they don't need all the folks who were in the old upsales department. They tell you it can take up to the 48 hours to find out. Even a cruise that looks sold out 2 weeks before, can change 3 days out. From reading the many posts about who gets upgrades, it's no rime or reason. A few pointed out even traveling with friends who never cruised on NCL and bid the same got it over them who traveled many times on NCL.

Cheers,

Tony

If you used an travel agent and have not received an Upsell email then most likely they have opted out of the program, meaning you have no opportunity to bid.

If you did not use a travel agent and did not receive an email, call the upsell department and ask them to send one to you.

If you used an travel agent and have not received an Upsell email then most likely they have opted out of the program, meaning you have no opportunity to bid.

If you did not use a travel agent and did not receive an email, call the upsell department and ask them to send one to you.

Thanks everyone for the information. We're Platinum members with NCL and we've always booked a suite or the Haven with them. We were looking to see if we could bid on the Garden Villa just to try that experience since they are both showing as available for our cruise.

Based on the advice given from some of you awesome cruise veterans, I thought I would call NCL and check. It appears that Hurricane Irma may impacted the upgrade emails going out as the offices / staff prepared for Irma, dealt with their current passengers as well as plan for local issues / damage that I'm sure has happened. I was advised to give it a couple of weeks while they work through everything and the region gets back up and running.

Our prayers to everyone impacted by Hurricane Irma!

....I thought I would call NCL and check. It appears that Hurricane Irma may impacted the upgrade emails going out as the offices / staff prepared for Irma, dealt with their current passengers as well as plan for local issues / damage that I'm sure has happened. I was advised to give it a couple of weeks while they work through everything and the region gets back up and running.

Our prayers to everyone impacted by Hurricane Irma!

Great information.

I just booked the Thanksgiving day cruise on Wednesday and on Thursday I recieved an email from NCL about bidding for a mini suite $25 pp or 6 different Haven's ranging from $300pp to $750pp. Since I booked BX for only $649pp, I would like to bid on one, but don't want to until I am under the 30 day window. This reminds me of Delta, they offer non frequent flyers at day of check in an opportunity to upgrade to first class....bumping any frequent fliers opportunity for the free upgrades

This reminds me of Delta, they offer non frequent flyers at day of check in an opportunity to upgrade to first class....bumping any frequent fliers opportunity for the free upgrades

The upgrade here is not without monetary consideration. Delta is getting more money for the seat than the

FF offers with just loyalty. The system however should allow all present at the gate to bid on the empty FC

seats with MONEY* rather than FF loyalty. * the MONEY factor could be supplemented with MILES.

Nothing wrong with Delta trying to get as much yield (money) out of the empty seat.

My niece and her husband paid the token fee to opt up to FC on a recent trip to Chicago after the gate agent

made the announcement - there were no other takers - several seats in FC remained empty - They got a nice

warm meal; free drinks and big leather seats - felt it was worth it. I have heard of situations where the upgrade

list extends upwards of 40 or more FFs waiting for a chance to get the empty FC seat free. Like NCL here with

its Latitudes members Delta has various levels of FFs. Those with really really FF lots-a-miles status get the

upgrades before johnny with only one trip of record does. Also those with business paid tickets generally get

priority because they paid more for their ticket. This only happens on the domestic flights - the fares on the

international flights are sometimes 4-5 times greater than the bargain coach fares - upgrades and bidding is

just not going to happen because of the fare difference no matter who has what status.

NCL is going to want to fill each cabin with the maximum amount of yield (cash/money/euros/round-tuits) -

bidding is a useful way to achieve this - let no cabin go empty if there is money to be made.

• 3 weeks later...
So I have a sail away fare basically...

I have no perks in a balcony.

If I bid for a Haven do I get those perks?

Just curious.

Yes

and

No.

Depends what you mean by perks. There are perks that always come with the suite. What you will not get are the promotions - like "Free at Sea".

Just curious.

No. If you win the bid, you keep the perks you currently have, which are zero. You MAY upgrade to a non-sail away fare, if currently available, to add the perks if you wish. But you would need to do that now before your bid was accepted.

Just curious.

Unfortunately no. You just get the upgrade to a better cabin. You keep any perks you got on the original cabin. So if you had none you get none. One reason we booked a OV. Same 2 perks as both the balcony and mini suite.

Yes

and

No.

Depends what you mean by perks. There are perks that always come with the suite. What you will not get are the promotions - like "Free at Sea".

Actually, if you upgrade to the Haven, you will get the Perks associated with the Haven. For example, access to the Haven, Haven restaurant, concierge, butler, priority embarkation and disembarkation, priority seating at shows, etc.

What you do not get are the additional promos. If you originally booked a balcony and received 2 promos, you will retain those promos when you upgrade.

I have family member that just got back from an Caribbean cruise and they upgraded from a mini-suite to a 2 BR haven and keep their promos from their original booking but enjoyed all of the Perks of the Haven.

my bid is in for a haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom & Balcony.

cruise is 10/8 out of NY. These rooms look nice and knowing they are at the back of the ship versus the actually Haven at the front, but shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck. With all the bad weather being on CNN 24/7. You might get a great deal as many who would of gone last minute may wait this out. Booked for Oct 27th and hope to upgrade on the cheap, lol.