Bidding for Haven/Upgrades

leeker13

How far in advance of your cruise should you expect an email offering you the opportunity to bid?

I apologize for the asking if this already has been asked. There are 45 pages of conversations so I thought I would just ask again.

Cheers,

Tony

Folks often post asking if a suite or haven is worth it. I have to chuckle when so many post - YES IT IS WORTH IT. Apparently what people say here and what people book do not match up. People mostly actually BOOK lower category cabins. Just an observation.

Or maybe thoose who say that it's worth it book suites? I say that I think that it's worth it and I also book suites.

How far in advance of your cruise should you expect an email offering you the opportunity to bid?

I apologize for the asking if this already has been asked. There are 45 pages of conversations so I thought I would just ask again.

Cheers,

Tony

I got asked 56 days before. No email. I logged in to MyNCL and it was there I saw it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cheers,

Tony

It's usually around 80 days out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course, a real suite is nicer. And great if the price is right. BUT - who knows what price you will end up at. And of course, there are a very limited amount of cabins available to even assign to winners.

Folks often post asking if a suite or haven is worth it. I have to chuckle when so many post - YES IT IS WORTH IT. Apparently what people say here and what people book do not match up. People mostly actually BOOK lower category cabins. Just an observation.

Just keep in mind that a mini-suite is not the same as a suite. It basically a slightly bigger room with a bath tub. No suite perks are included.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Cruise Critic mobile app.

Or maybe thoose who say that it's worth it book suites? I say that I think that it's worth it and I also book suites.

We have always booked suites or the Haven on those ships that have it. It's definitely worth it for us! We like to lay out and relax and I don't like having to plan my sea days around getting and keeping a lounge chair by the pool. In the Haven, this has never been an issue. That alone makes the extra cost worth it for us.

Of course, a real suite is nicer. And great if the price is right. BUT - who knows what price you will end up at. And of course, there are a very limited amount of cabins available to even assign to winners.

Wanted to add this note:

We did legacy upsell to Haven on GA and BA many times and was very much worth the upsell charge. Last time we paid full price for Haven. At more than double the cost of a MiniSuite Balcony, I will say in retrospect it was not worth full price. ($3500 to over $7K). Point being, bid what you are comfortable with, but in theory I would take two cruises in a balcony any day over one full price Haven cruise. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wanted to add this note:

We did legacy upsell to Haven on GA and BA many times and was very much worth the upsell charge. Last time we paid full price for Haven. At more than double the cost of a MiniSuite Balcony, I will say in retrospect it was not worth full price. ($3500 to over $7K). Point being, bid what you are comfortable with, but in theory I would take two cruises in a balcony any day over one full price Haven cruise. Hope this helps someone.

I second this. Personal opinion, of course. Haven is the tits, but at 3x a balcony, it is hard for me to justify the price.

I second this. Personal opinion, of course. Haven is the tits, but at 3x a balcony, it is hard for me to justify the price.

I agree that it's hard to justify the price now when it has gone up so much and because of that we have moved our business to MSC, at least for now.

I agree that it's hard to justify the price now when it has gone up so much and because of that we have moved our business to MSC, at least for now.

I'm right behind you. Any recommendations? We just priced a Yacht Club Suite for 2 from Miami on Seaside at around 4K$!!

I'm right behind you. Any recommendations? We just priced a Yacht Club Suite for 2 from Miami on Seaside at around 4K$!!

That's a fabulous price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here is a link to my Meraviglia Review.

I have made som comparing comments, NCL - MSC.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=586592

We have booked two upcoming cruises with MSC for the Yacht Club-May 2018 and May 2019 for three people. Pricing was just a little more then the mini-suite on NCL and don't have to worry about upgrade bidding.:cool:

How does MSC rate? did you ever consider Royal Oasis class? Great ships

I've read comparison on cruise critic between Haven and the Yacht Club and Y/C won hands down. We been in the Haven and this will be our first time in the Y/C but what I have read the people returning from their cruise spoke highly of the Y/C and plan on going back.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their feedback! It is extremely helpful!

I believe i have seen this,but just want to confirm. We are looking to book a mini-suite due to the low cost in November, but have sailed in the Haven the last two times and would like to upgrade when we receive the mail.

Sounds like people are being offered specific categories within the Haven to upgrade rather than a generic class of rooms within the Haven. We don't want a category H7 front-facing since afraid of the movement in the very front of the ship and wouldn't want to just bid on a guaranteed Haven room instead of individual room categories.

Can someone confirm you get to bid on individual Haven categories rather than a guaranteed Haven? We would be within final payment if we book and we don't want to pay the 3X rate for a Haven, but don't mind bidding since there is huge inventory in the Haven the week we are sailing.

You bid on a category type. In our case we opted to NOT bid on the OS as we prefer the 2BR.

Keep in mind that if 100 people in mini-suites bid on the few if any open cabins, the chances of getting the upgrade is mathematically way against you.

Actually if only one cabin is open and only three people bid - the odds are still against you.

Or in the case of our cruise - the Haven is sold out. The only way we are going to get a haven 2BR is if somebody moves up to the one OS or the one GV.

Since you mention there is lots of inventory, your odds might be better.. MAYBE.