Best cruise for couple with 3 year old + baby?

halshura

We live in Alberta, Canada and thinking doing a cruise sometime in 2017. We have a 3 year old and 6-12 month baby (by the time we do cruise).

We're thinking of a 10-20 day cruise. Any recommendations on baby/toddler friendly cruises that deliver the best value? We are flexible on dates and location.

Imho a 10-20 day cruise with kids that little would be hard. What about trying a Disney cruise for 7 days and then doing an extended time at the port of departure. Check also on cruises bc you might not be able to bring the baby to the kids camp based on age. Certain ships are now starting to open up for young tots. We are doing a cruise with a 3 and 15 month baby. We have 8 adults who will be helping out. Thank god for family. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some RCI ships have nurseries for the "under-3" crowd....not all, but some! That could be an option, if you are planning on doing some "adult only" stuff. The 3 year old can use the kid's club on all of the mainstream ships.

You need to pick the ship FOR YOU...not the kids! The clubs will keep the 3 year old busy and occupied....there's only so much you can do with a 1 year old (and under!)....

Celebrity and RCI have great kid's clubs....Disney's is not as structured, and many kids prefer a bit of structure!

To provide decent advice you probably need to give a bit more information about what you are looking for. The posts so far have suggested 1. you want to make sure there is a kids club and 2. Your timeline is too long. That might work for them but, personally I went on long cruises with our daughter when she was 2 and 3 and would never use a kids club and certainly wouldn't leave a 6-12 month old.

Everyone has different goals for a vacation/cruise. We both work long hours and travel frequently for work so we prefer to spend lots of time with kids and mostly use the ship to travel around without re-packing. We are off the boat either seeing stuff or relaxing on a beach. Others want entertainment on board for the whole family or want couple time. In my opinion Disney and the mega ships would be wasted on kids so young. I would go on the nicest ship you can afford. Hawaii could be a nice destination with a west coast departure. I found Asian cruises not ideal as the cities you want to see are a mostly a long bus ride away. You will need to check age restrictions depending on the line and itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by DipBrat

You may want to post your question over on the Family Cruises board. There are lots of people there who have cruised with infants and toddlers. I don't have children, but think 10-20 days may be difficult with children that young. For instance, you'll need to bring a diaper supply onboard with you, as well as baby food. Your dining options may be limited - children that young may not be conducive to 1-2 hr. dinners in the dining room. Maybe try a 5-7 day cruise first to do a test drive.

Roz

It sounds like you're expecting the second child. Make sure to allow for more than just 6 months in that case as you might go full-term. and if you have a premie, the pediatrician might prefer you put off traveling for a while.

You would have to take anything your children might need (diapers, medications, etc.) and not rely on the ship to provide these. Our girl was 23 months on her first cruise, a three day one that we can drive to the embarkation port. It did work out great but she was one month too young to join the kids' program. some ships will allow the younger kids to go to the room for the youngest club, but a parent must stay the whole time.

A cruise that long would be a logistical nightmare just on supplies alone since you have to bring everything non edible yourself(diapers meds the 6 outfits per day to combat accidents, etc). While they can provide infant friendly food, they cannot heat formula and storing your own baby food on the cabin can be problematic. Also the baby must be six months old to sail. Not 5 months and 28 days. The day of embarkation is the only date that matters( junior cannot turn 6 months old on the third day of the cruise)

The age requirements may vary by cruise line but with RCI / Celebrity the age at date of sailing is 6 months, unless there are more than 2 consecutive sea days on your itinerary, then it is 12 months. It is very likely that a 10-20 day itinerary will have more than two consecutive sea days, so I think it would be important for you to check the age restrictions for the cruise line you are considering before you book.

As mentioned the infant supplies needed to be brought on board would be a real challenge for a cruise of that long as well. You may want to reconsider your options with this.

Not sure I would bring a 6-month old on a 20 day cruise, but these so called logistical challenges are a bit exaggerated. You can buy diapers in virtually any port. Find a ship with self serve laundry. Not sure why you need meds for a healthy baby. Easy to feed a baby from what is available on board simply mash with a fork. I don't know much about formula feeding but filtered water is always available.

Not sure I would bring a 6-month old on a 20 day cruise, but these so called logistical challenges are a bit exaggerated. You can buy diapers in virtually any port. Find a ship with self serve laundry. Not sure why you need meds for a healthy baby. Easy to feed a baby from what is available on board simply mash with a fork. I don't know much about formula feeding but filtered water is always available.

Not sure about that. 6 months is about when infants just begin to work into solid foods, which should be a rather gradual process. As far as meds, the idea would be to take infant medications along as a preventative measure. The last thing you would want to do IMO is rely on the ship's medical services or general store dispensary should a healthy baby become sick. But those meds would not be difficult to take along with you.

Identifying a cruise line with self serve laundry is a good idea but needs to be researched as some do offer this but many do not. Diapers and infant care packages are also offered on board many ships as well, which would alleviate the need to shop in port.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Fever reducers. Tummy upsets. Pedialyte. Diaper rash creme. Then What happens if you do not pull into port for 3-4 days but you run outta diapers or wipes on day 2? On board the selection is tiny and severely overpriced. Some babies are picky about the kind they use( or don't leak out of )

Fork mashing is not always possible but as I said pureeing is an option.

Not sure I'd be willing to spend a third of my vacation washing baby outfits either.

We live in Alberta, Canada and thinking doing a cruise sometime in 2017. We have a 3 year old and 6-12 month baby (by the time we do cruise).

We're thinking of a 10-20 day cruise. Any recommendations on baby/toddler friendly cruises that deliver the best value? We are flexible on dates and location.

I would look at Carnival's 15 day Hawaii cruise. Leaves out of Long Beach, California and goes round trip. Carnival has a great kid's club. We love this itinerary!

I would look at Carnival's 15 day Hawaii cruise. Leaves out of Long Beach, California and goes round trip. Carnival has a great kid's club. We love this itinerary!

Infants under a year old aren't accepted on this cruise.

Infants under a year old aren't accepted on this cruise.

Thank you ducklite! Yes, I see that is correct. It looks like 12 months is the minimum age for the Hawaii itinerary. How about one of the Carnival Caribbean "Journeys" cruise itineraries? They are longer cruise itineraries and it looks like 6 months is the age limit.

My opinion for what it is worth...

This sounds like a massive headache.

Packing that many diapers, breast pump/formula, clothes, or a steep laundry bill.

Why? Seriously, why?

I'm sure that you're looking to get away from what can be cold, grey weather.

I don't think a cruise ship is a good option with two young children.

Maybe instead, rent a house in Florida. Maybe in Davenport or Kissimmee. You could rent a house with a pool for three weeks for the cost of one week on a cruise ship. You could hire a housekeeping service to clean a couple times a week for the cost of another couple of days. Because it would be your private pool, your kids could use it (not the case on a cruise ship). You would have a washer/dryer right there. You could spend a day at Legoland, a day at the Magic Kingdom, maybe take a couple day trips to the beach.

You would each have your own bedroom--privacy for some adult time. If your kids were having a bad day, no big deal, no one would be bothered.

Kids aren't going to want to eat out every meal--it's overwhelming. You could make them foods they want/like and go out other nights. There are a couple of well vetted local sitter services, you could even hire a sitter for a night to have a date night.

Diapers and such are a mile away at Publix or Target.

Baby has a fever? Urgent care is five minutes away and if God forbid either children was seriously injured or ill, a world-class pediatric hospital is 20 minutes.

My two cents.

Edited by ducklite

Nothing Ducklite says is wrong per se, but literally thousands of people cruise every year with babies and especially toddlers. This thread is edging into the kids shouldn't cruise because they annoy me theme. And rent a house in inland Florida? Seriously? At least suggest an all inclusive which is an easier option with a baby than a cruise. There are lots of reasons why a cruise can be a better vacation even with little kids. 6-9 months is actually an especially easy age to travel.

I wouldn't do it, and I have been through some rough parenting patches (having 3 in diapers for a year, 5 kids in under 7 years). Cruising is great when your kids are 3+, can use the pools and kids clubs. The thought of spending that much time on ship with little ones, in such close quarters, sounds horrible. I disliked taking them to restaurants at that age, loved the 8 pm bedtime when DH could have some kid free time, access to a washer and dryer, long walks in the park..

Nothing Ducklite says is wrong per se, but literally thousands of people cruise every year with babies and especially toddlers. This thread is edging into the kids shouldn't cruise because they annoy me theme. And rent a house in inland Florida? Seriously? At least suggest an all inclusive which is an easier option with a baby than a cruise. There are lots of reasons why a cruise can be a better vacation even with little kids. 6-9 months is actually an especially easy age to travel.

The problem isn't the cruise itself, it's that they want to take an extended cruise and have what seems to be not a huge budget to use for it. Most lines won't accept a baby under 12 months (if not older) for a cruise that is more than a week in the Caribbean or med.

Why not rent a house in Florida? It will give them theme parks, relaxation, sunshine, a private pool (so baby can actually go in), privacy for the parents, and access to the beach. Tens of thousands of people do such a thing each year, so it's obviously a popular concept.

• 11 months later...
Did you book one? We are brining our 6mo twins on freedom of the seas this nov, they have daycare for their age.

Some people would not be willing to pay for childcare for such young children. Free kids programs on RC are for over 3, toilet trained kids. I think the nursery program is $6-8 per hour/per child.