Snorkeling Gear Questions....

cdl324

Hi All! My fiance and I are taking our first cruise next month for our honeymoon. We are both really interested in snorkeling at all of the islands and are wondering if it would be better to rent while we are there or to go ahead and purchase our own to bring? If you recommend us bringing our own, can you give links or anything for good sets to purchase online?

Thanks so much!!

We bring our snorkel gear with us each cruise. It's bulky, but my wife is a good packer, and we can get it in with our formal wear in our one checked bag.

We can just head to the beaches of our choice without worrying if there is a rental place there or not. sometimes we take tours where gear is provided, but we also head out on our own at some ports.

Last year we also spent a few days pre-cruise down at the Florida Keys and snorkeled in the state park there.

We got my wife's set of snorkel gear at Walmart, but I got mine at Costco. Amazon carries most brands at about the same price.

Don

Hi All! My fiance and I are taking our first cruise next month for our honeymoon. We are both really interested in snorkeling at all of the islands and are wondering if it would be better to rent while we are there or to go ahead and purchase our own to bring? If you recommend us bringing our own, can you give links or anything for good sets to purchase online?

Thanks so much!!

The thought of using a snorkel that several thousand had already spit into does not sit well with me so I use my own mask and snorkel. I use fins supplied by the tour operator or I rent them locally.

Mask fit is important. If you decide to get your own, go to a local dive shop. They usually have reasonably inexpensive masks and snorkels intended for snorkeling. Consider a snorkel with a purge valve (allows you to easily clear the tube) and a baffle at the top (reduces water getting in through wave action). You will spend more than a $10 Walmart snorkel set, but having an expert guide you is worth it.

Thanks so much!!

Take snorkel and mask definitely, do advise especially if going to the islands that you take reef shoes, they are a must as the beach coral that you have to walk over to get to the reefs are VERY sharp on the feet. I for my stuff from a. Cash Converters and b. Op shop ( both looked either new or been used once, and they had been expensive sets) :D

I have my own mask, snorkel, and fins. It's easier and faster to know that I have my gear and don't have to worry about obtaining it in port.

I bought my gear from a dive shop, and they were great. Definitely get a snorkel with a purge valve! Also, consider diving fins rather than snorkel or swimming ones. Diving fins fit over your reef shoes - you wade out over the rocks and sharp stuff until you're thigh deep, slip the fins on over your shoes, and go.

All that said, if you are new to snorkeling and ocean swimming, definitely go with an excursion. They will have the equipment, and people on paddle boards watching over the group making sure everybody stays safe.

Also, consider diving fins rather than snorkel or swimming ones. Diving fins fit over your reef shoes - you wade out over the rocks and sharp stuff until you're thigh deep, slip the fins on over your shoes, and go.

Definitely this. :)

If you want a whole set, they sell these types. (I personally seem to have a regular face and so can buy this stuff online without trying on first.) But if you have a smaller face or whatnot, you might want to try on first. (I've heard of smaller faces even using a child's mask.)

At any rate, I highly recommend getting travel fins. They are much easier to pack and having used both regular size and these travel fins, I find the travel fins do the job just as well as a full size fin.

I also recommend this mask defogger. Others swear by baby shampoo or spit, but neither of those work for me. :p

Thanks so much!!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. As you probably have learned by now, there are plenty of inexpensive snorkel sets available. Dh and I have dive gear but our don't, so for our first island hopping cruise, we bought them Body Glove snorkel sets from Sam's Club. I wound up buying a set for me too since I wasn't planning to go diving, and dive fins are much longer than snorkel fins, and I didn't want to deal with packing or carrying them. The sets, which come in a useful mesh bag, have held up through several cruises. I replaced my fin straps once. They never broke, I just wanted a different kind of strap.

A few years ago in Caymen, we did a snorkel excursion and used their equipment. When we arrived all the snorkels were hanging off a big metal container about the diameter of a 55 gallon barrel. We had a great time until the end. Upon getting out of the water, we were told to put our snorkels in this bucket. As we were leaving a worker was taking them out of the bucket and hanging them back on the original big metal container getting ready for the next group. NEVER WASHED! Buy your own like we ended up doing before you trade slobber with so many other people!

A few years ago in Caymen, we did a snorkel excursion and used their equipment. When we arrived all the snorkels were hanging off a big metal container about the diameter of a 55 gallon barrel. We had a great time until the end. Upon getting out of the water, we were told to put our snorkels in this bucket. As we were leaving a worker was taking them out of the bucket and hanging them back on the original big metal container getting ready for the next group. NEVER WASHED! Buy your own like we ended up doing before you trade slobber with so many other people!

Eeewwww, I was planning to buy some for my germaphobe daughter, but now I am thinking I will for all of us! I am not a germaphobe by any means, but I really DO NOT want to use a set that was used by hundreds and not washed after!

Here is what we got, have used them numerous times in Mexico and Bermuda. I like that it has a mesh bag so it's easy to dry when you are done. I recommend to save a little bulk to leave the flippers home and buy a cheap pair of water shoes. When you realize what's under the water, you're going to want something on your feet!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4F9OWY/ref=twister_B00H4F9O88

• 2 weeks later...

On our first cruise, we wanted to do a snorkel excursion, but I was not about to put my lips on a snorkel that a bunch of strangers have also used. :p It the time, Carnival sold just the snorkels at the excursion or customer service desk for $5 each.

When we got home, we bought our own sets of snorkel gear. It takes up a lot of room in suitcases. We only took our complete sets once.

Now, if we are going snorkeling, we take our own mask and snorkel, but leave the fins at home. We use the vests and fins provided by the excursion. And if the vest is inflatable, I either take cleaning wipes with me, or have my DH blow it up for me. :D :p

I snorkeled for the first time this last July and fell in love! I decided to invest in my own gear. I figured it would be easier and I would save money in the long run.

I don't think you need anything fancy. You can get a good mask and breathe tube for under $100 at your local sporting goods store.

I do want to recommend these fins though. They are made for traveling and are therefore, more compact. Saves space in your luggage, which is always a good thing!

https://m.swimoutlet.com/p/us-divers-trek-travel-fins-8135035/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google-shopping&color=9325&size=11018&gclid=CJ3s1LTmzs8CFU88gQodz6AFug

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have just recently bought a Tribord Easybreath Snorkeling Mask that we will try out on our cruise in November. The first time we just took snorkeling excursions but I was unhappy with the masks (I have to admit I didn't mind thousands of people having used the same snorkle... as long as I don't think about it) that didn't fit well, fogged up and DH popped the glas out of one on St Maarten.

I have to admit we only tried it out at the local pool so far but we were quite happy with it. The M/L is a tad small for DH and a bit large for me (I have just ordered a S/M for myself) but neither of us had problems with fogging or water getting in, the straps are soft, it's not made for diving but five feet (that is how deep the kids' pool at the local pool is) went quite well. I have never gone under water when snorkeling because knowing myself I was sure I'd take a breath and die... the Easybreath has a mechanism that seals the top of the snorkel when submerged and it actually worked quite well (yes, of course I took a big breath when diving under). It also seems to pack nicely and comes in its own little mesh bag. I am quite excited to try it out :)

We are not taking fins. I just hope we don't regret that.