1 day at Epcot or 3 days in Tampa?

Sotermarler

We are flying from AZ in to Tampa late Thursday night, our cruise leaves out of Tampa Sunday.

This will be our DS 8, first cruise and his first trip to FL. He has already visited the Magic Kingdom in Disneyland and loved it. I wanted to take him to see Epcot, and other Disney parks while in FL but can't really afford cost of 2 days at Disney with car rental, hotel etc, so one day at Epcot would be the best we could do.

DH is stressed over, ticket cost, renting car, staying far from port then dealing with rental return and getting back to port by Sunday. DH wants to stay near port in Tampa do Busch Gardens and Uber it for a couple days.

While I agree our small jaunt to Epcot for one day will be pricey, I think DS and I would enjoy Epcot more, and we are not likely to get out this way again for a few years. He's the perfect age for all things Disney. I've looked at staying halfway between the port and Disney but hotel prices are dirt cheap closer to Disney so halfway adds more $$ to the trip. I also decided to forgo all excursions to make this happen.

So, here is the question, do we keep the stress level down and stay near port, do Busch Gardens, beach etc.? Or suck it up and take DS to Epcot, because nothing beats Disney even if it's only one day?

What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a tough one because your son is at the perfect age for Epcot and who knows when you would get back there. You could make it in one day. Tampa isn't that far from Orlando. It would be a long day however.

I do love Tampa and spending 3 days there would be great in my opinion. I would rent a car though.

I would stay in Tampa and visit Busch Gardens. Your son would enjoy the animal park as well as the amusement part. Since cost is a concern, I would do what is best for your family. Study travel guides for Tampa and find things you can all do. Whatever your decision you will have a great time.

That's a tough one because your son is at the perfect age for Epcot and who knows when you would get back there. You could make it in one day. Tampa isn't that far from Orlando. It would be a long day however.

I like how you think! It's just convincing the DH of it.

I would stay in Tampa and visit Busch Gardens. Your son would enjoy the animal park as well as the amusement part. Since cost is a concern, I would do what is best for your family. Study travel guides for Tampa and find things you can all do. Whatever your decision you will have a great time.

I know you are probably right and the voice of reason, but I've never been accused of being reasonable. Thanks for your input.

I agree that for an 8yoa EPCOT is probably the least wanted park - unless they are fixated on the new Frozen ride ..... IF WDW stays in the equation I'd look at Animal Kingdom as more kid oriented ....

I too think that BUSH Gardens really can fit the bill with many exciting rides AND a good animal park in one .....

You may have more time to kill in Tampa so consider the science museum which is really good http://www.mosi.org/

curve ball: have you considered just staying on the beach in say Clearwater????and skipping parks all together ......

Busch Gardens will be much more fun for all of you than Epcot. IMHO:). Really, Epcot is more geared to the adults, than the other Disney parks.

Busch Gardens has something for everyone, saves hours driving both way too, and the need for the rental car. Now, if you can get a reasonable priced rental, I'd still think about it for Tampa as you would then have more options for food and hotel prices also. Then your second day you could all sorts of thing in the rental..

Based on my experience, I would stay in Tampa and see Busch Gardens (we had an annual pass for five years and love it, particularly the animals). It was cool to see the gators and the Budweiser clydesdales, the bird show, flamingos, etc. There are many other fun activities in the area: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g34678-Activities-Tampa_Florida.html.

The Clearwater Marine Aquarium is where Dolphin Tale and Dolphin Tale 2 were filmed, and residents include Winter and Hope. And it's a nice chance to see pelicans, turtles, sharks, etc.

We love Epcot and enjoyed it quite a few times as FL residents, in our early 30s at the time. Your son has many years to enjoy it, and going to Disney some other time (for more than one day) would be fun and more relaxing.

Keep your stress level down, have a happy wife, and enjoy a great mini-vacation in Florida prior to your cruise. :)

Indeed, Tampa has lots to do and see. However, as a Gulf Coast resident, I wouldn't plan on beach time. Right now the gulf coast is inundated with red tide. It kills fish, which are deposited on the beach, and the stench is terrible. I live near the Sarasota beaches, which are just south of St. Petersburg and Tampa, and we have been avoiding the beaches. The issue is expected to last until mid-October. Lots of tourists are very disappointed in not being able to go to the beach.

Thanks for all the great advice! Sounds like i should drop it and just hang around Tampa.

I do think my DS would love Epcot as he's not really into rides and is a history and culture buff. Weird, I know but I'm sure BG will be great too.

I really liked the suggestion to go to the Clearwater marina! I think that will be a hit.

Also thanks for the heads up on the beach situation.

I just wanted to mention that I think there is an advance purchase discount on the Busch Gardens website, saving $20 on a ticket. I believe you need to print them or have the tickets on your smartphone(?). Also google the Clearwater Marine Aquarium regarding any discount too. Enjoy Tampa and your cruise! :)

One final comment - you say your son is "the perfect age for all things Disney". And yes, that's very true.

Because in my not-so-humble opinion, "any age is the perfect age for all things Disney" :)

I've been to Florida quite a few times both on business and for pleasure - and I agree with the majority of posters, stay in Tampa, you'll love it... three days isn't really enough to do it justice!

VP

I live in the Tampa area and have for 25+ years,

Be aware that Tampa ALSO has an aquarium, which is located not far from the port.

There is also the Museum of Science and Industry (aka MOSI) in Tampa that is a popular place for many kids ..... tons to see, interactive displays, etc. Adults seem to enjoy it too.

I agree with those who say Epcot is more for adults. Busch Gardens is great for the whole family.

We are flying from AZ in to Tampa late Thursday night, our cruise leaves out of Tampa Sunday.

This will be our DS 8, first cruise and his first trip to FL. He has already visited the Magic Kingdom in Disneyland and loved it. I wanted to take him to see Epcot, and other Disney parks while in FL but can't really afford cost of 2 days at Disney with car rental, hotel etc, so one day at Epcot would be the best we could do.

DH is stressed over, ticket cost, renting car, staying far from port then dealing with rental return and getting back to port by Sunday. DH wants to stay near port in Tampa do Busch Gardens and Uber it for a couple days.

While I agree our small jaunt to Epcot for one day will be pricey, I think DS and I would enjoy Epcot more, and we are not likely to get out this way again for a few years. He's the perfect age for all things Disney. I've looked at staying halfway between the port and Disney but hotel prices are dirt cheap closer to Disney so halfway adds more $$ to the trip. I also decided to forgo all excursions to make this happen.

So, here is the question, do we keep the stress level down and stay near port, do Busch Gardens, beach etc.? Or suck it up and take DS to Epcot, because nothing beats Disney even if it's only one day?

What would you do?

If I were going to drive over to Disney I would not take an 8 year old to EPCOT, the Animal Kingdom would be a better choice.

I think that I would stay int eh Tampa St. Pete area, but I would not Uber around, a rental is going to end up being a better value for you.

Indeed, Tampa has lots to do and see. However, as a Gulf Coast resident, I wouldn't plan on beach time. Right now the gulf coast is inundated with red tide. It kills fish, which are deposited on the beach, and the stench is terrible. I live near the Sarasota beaches, which are just south of St. Petersburg and Tampa, and we have been avoiding the beaches. The issue is expected to last until mid-October. Lots of tourists are very disappointed in not being able to go to the beach.

Is this just very recently? We have spent a lot of time at the gulf coast beaches as recently as last week as we go at least once if not twice a week from AMI, St Petes, Treasure Island, Indian Rocks and a few further up to Tarpon and never noticed anything.

It is mostly a problem south from St. Pete. I live in Venice, south of Sarasota, and beaches are either closed or not recommended for swimming. It can be anywhere on the Gulf and at this time of year. Right now it is particularly noxious and unpleasant and is not expected to improve for another week or more. You can check with the local news stations as they cover the problem extensively.

You can check the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Red Tide Current Status here: http://myfwc.com/REDTIDESTATUS. As of September 30th, fish kills affecting multiple species, as well as respiratory irritation, have been reported at locations along Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Lee, and Collier counties.