**Trip of a Lifetime Review - Italy and Rhapsody of the Seas 9.16.2016**

Absolutely breathtaking, no? The rain did nothing to diminish how captivating this area was. We were here for about 20 minutes for pictures and refreshments. Of course, I missed breakfast, so I found something to snack on. Our next stop was the Golden Fox for that magical view that is locally called God's balcony. The drive wasn’t too far and the weather was still rather damp but the view … gracious. I just couldn’t stop staring. I walked around to a few different spots to see if I can capture different perspectives of the view. The restaurant also had public washrooms and souvenir stalls close by so I picked up some souvenirs as well.

29768732710_1d84cb8fb4_z.jpg

29949427232_7b2164f28a_z.jpg

29949427012_1d03011452_z.jpg

29949426912_1abb7e2614_z.jpg

29768732580_8895b49069_z.jpg

29949434222_ee6d9492c3_z.jpg

29949496862_18bb3fd2f5_z.jpg

29949434142_5749ec6786_z.jpg

We drove around for a bit more. They provided us with the option to be dropped off in the old town, which then we’d have free time and could catch a shuttle back. However, it was still raining and I was hungry, so I opted to go directly back to the port and pay the Windjammer a nice visit. I think the weather deterred everyone as no one opted to go into the old town. I enjoyed the tour and was glad I picked the earlier option, even though it was raining. As sail away got closer, it did clear up quite a bit, which was nice.

29949434032_c6138d408d_z.jpg

29949434372_424d7eb3ed_z.jpg

Patiently waiting for sail away ...

29768782480_1bf5553a76_z.jpg

29768782430_98906cc164_z.jpg

I enjoyed a bit of sail away, especially because the weather had cleared up and then I proceeded to get ready for dinner. Tonight was my first speciality dinner in Giovanni’s. I’ve eaten in a speciality restaurant alone before and I was really looking forward to it again. Since my reservation was at 7pm, I was pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to get a window seat but I was ok with that.

29427732224_f7041b013e_z.jpg

Umm, just slightly happy on my way to dinner ...

29436109883_660032db0c_z.jpg

29768802420_c4c03dd285_z.jpg

29949521132_39456930af_z.jpg

29768802230_6ab38bf42c_z.jpg

Once again, the service and the food was beyond amazing. I was able to use my diamond happy hour drinks while I was there (I don’t know if it was allowed, but because it was so close to the diamond lounge, they went there to pick up the drinks) and they really politely pushed me to try more than 1 appetizer and more than 1 second course, so please don’t think I’m greedy … I did eat it all, but they were smaller portions!

In the order that they were devoured ...

29768802000_b2892bd4e6_z.jpg

29949520922_f64f932b88_z.jpg

29768801750_8b438d521a_z.jpg

29768802700_a00b6a0b57_z.jpg

29949520802_2886a2dfbd_z.jpg

29949521252_35cc70185e_z.jpg

I got full again looking at all these pictures!

Loving your trip report! Thanks for sharing your journey!

Do you happen to have any photos of the Diamond lounge?

Thanks! The post where I mention the Diamond lounge is the only picture I have of it. I only went in there maybe 3 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a great review, Deon. I don't know you, but am so happy for you! I actually had tears in my eyes reading about your enjoyment of those amazing Italian cities. I get emotional about travel (lol) and seeing these sights again made me reminisce, hardcore. Once Italy is in your blood, I don't believe it ever leaves. Thanks for the memories!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What an incredible trip, and it's only half over!! So happy for you to check off some items on your travel bucket list. My fiance and I are traveling on the Rhapsody next year on a Venice to Barcelona itinerary and we are overlapping on some ports and cities. Your posts, pictures, tips, and thoughts are so helpful as well as your fantastic pictures of the ship and your stateroom. We have never cruised before and you're really helping me understand what to expect and how this all works! Very much looking forward to more soon!

Got ready to go to bed and my daughter was like, " has Deon posted anymore of her review ?" And I was like, " I don't know but I'll check." We were so happy there was more!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Aww that is too cute! LOL there will be more this evening!

This is a great review, Deon. I don't know you, but am so happy for you! I actually had tears in my eyes reading about your enjoyment of those amazing Italian cities. I get emotional about travel (lol) and seeing these sights again made me reminisce, hardcore. Once Italy is in your blood, I don't believe it ever leaves. Thanks for the memories!

Funny enough, I had a few emotional moments on this trip as well. It was just overwhelming to think that it was actually happening. Thanks for feeling some of what I felt! I catalogued the trip on Instagram and my friends noticed how much of an effect this trip had on me as well. It has seriously changed my life :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Virtopia

Aww that is too cute! LOL there will be more this evening!

Funny enough, I had a few emotional moments on this trip as well. It was just overwhelming to think that it was actually happening. Thanks for feeling some of what I felt! I catalogued the trip on Instagram and my friends noticed how much of an effect this trip had on me as well. It has seriously changed my life :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am glad. Travel does that! Can't wait to read more.

Deon,

I am loving reading this review. I did a similar 11-Nt Rhaposdy in July with my family, but I secretly wish I could do some of these solo!! (don't tell! :eek:)

I am doing my first solo in January, here in the Caribbean, but as my kids get older I want to try and do more solo's around the world. Next summer is the other side of Italy for me and the Family.

I am so happy you enjoyed your cruise and I can't wait to hear about the rest of it!

Hi Deon , loving your review. Can't wait to see the rest and relive the trip through your eyes.

Pics attached of Diamond lounge for miryam1234

Hello my dear Heather! It was so great meeting you and your husband. You, along with some others from the roll call, made my cruise so much more enjoyable :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm having a lot of fun doing this review.

Let's get back to it -- I stopped at Giovanni's and my amazing dinner.

I’m pretty sure I attempted to roll out of there, but keeping my pride in tact, I mustered the strength to walk out. Such a great experience and so glad I decided to go. They were very accommodating to my solo status which I appreciated. Tonight was the 50s and 60s party in the centrum.

Quick FYI … for all events that were held in the centrum, you need to get there early to get a good seat. There are seats available on decks 4, 5 and 6 and even though I got to the centrum about 30 minutes before it was scheduled to start, I still had to wait for someone to move in order to get a standing spot on deck 5. They had dance lessons before the party started but it was fun watching everyone boogie.

My favourite spot ... deck 5!

29768839910_14b20224c3_z.jpg

30028832276_be244f7a76_z.jpg

29768839830_87aef26d03_z.jpg

There's an Elvis sighting!

30028831866_78d805af40_z.jpg

29768839720_5f6bb158bf_z.jpg

After about 45 minutes, I was tired from a long day and went back to my cabin … only to be met with a broken toilet. Yup, no fun. It just refused to flush, however I was too tired to even call guest services so I made a note to address it in the morning.

I got off the bus to take pictures and thought about doing the tour then but decided against it (bad idea!). I walked around for about 30 minutes before I headed back to the bus stop and the next sight that I was excited about ... the Trevi Fountain! I have been looking at this sculpture on live webcams for weeks and now I was a few minutes away from it ...

In person just put me in awe. It's absolutely breathtaking. When I turned the corner and saw it, I had to pause for a moment. I took several pictures in many different angles. There is a thing that if you throw a coin from your right hand over your left shoulder into the fountain, you will return to Rome ...

Thanks for sharing your adventure. You look so incredibly happy in your pictures! :D

Deon - I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your Rhapsody review as we were on the ship with you and had a wonderful time. It is so nice to read your impressions of Italy & the cruise to the Greek Isles. We enjoyed talking to you & we hope we will meet again on another adventure. Keep the commentary & photos coming.

Cathy Gearinger

As I mentioned earlier in the review, my cabin was right beside the hallway so I did hear some noises. However, I wasn't prepared for what I heard around 4:30am. Glass breaking, books falling and I felt like I was standing upright even though I knew I was in my bed. It took me a few minutes to get my barring, but then I realized that something was seriously wrong. I turned on my light and everything that was on the night table beside me was now on the floor, my iPad and the remote had made it the farthest under the couch and my desk chair was slightly overturned.

I wasn't panicked but definitely curious as to what was going on. Since I had no toilet at the present moment, I had to leave the room, to which I was met with at least 15 people in their life jackets. There was no alarm that went off so I didn't go back to the room for mines. As I got to the staircase, I heard the water. From what I learned later, the water from the pool had been shaken out and was raining down through the staircase. Once I got to the centrum, there was at least 150 people walking around, in all types of clothing, with their life jackets. I saw a couple cruise critic members and chatted to them about their experience so far and we just waited around. The first announcement by the captain stated that we had gone through a bad storm but that we weren't in any further danger and could return to our cabins. Unfortunately, that announcement wasn't enough as nobody moved. I think the hard part was that it was still dark outside so we couldn't see for ourselves exactly how calm the seas might now be. I walked around to look at some of the damage - broken dishes in the dining room, overturned pots near the windjammer, broken glasses at the various bars and broken merchandise and perfume bottles in the gift shops.

29768839490_b1a410ba63_z.jpg

30028831626_f067f624b7_z.jpg

29768839340_268c55701d_z.jpg

30028831526_352ffb9d5d_z.jpg

29436118753_5dba5e8903_z.jpg

I went up to check out the Viking crown lounge and as soon as the door open, I was met by a couple who was clearly shaken up with the damage and told me not to bother coming out as there was glass and water everywhere. I made my way back down to the centrum, where staff had started to hand out bottles of water. Next, they were carting out canisters of coffee, which many guests were grateful for. It was about 6am now and it was getting lighter outside so we were able to look out and see that the seas were relatively calmer now. I sat around with some people, one couple in particular who was on their first cruise. She couldn’t stop crying, I felt so bad for her. They had a balcony room and heard the outside furniture being thrown around as well, so that rattled them a bit. Officers started to walk around at this point in time, making sure that everyone was ok and taking care of any guest questions and concerns. I also took a few moments to let guest services know about my toilet issue as well which they said they’d have fixed immediately.

I'd also like to commend the staff during this time as well. I can imagine it rattled them as well, but they had to jump up and get to work. I saw many of them in their bed clothes as well, pitching in to help how they could so kudos to them, they all did an amazing job. Many guests started going back to their room at this time, but I knew the Windjammer was going to be opening soon and we were advised it was still opening on schedule so I waited around for breakfast, which was nice and hot, and then promptly made my way back to my cabin to check my now fixed toilet and finish sleeping.

Deon - I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your Rhapsody review as we were on the ship with you and had a wonderful time. It is so nice to read your impressions of Italy & the cruise to the Greek Isles. We enjoyed talking to you & we hope we will meet again on another adventure. Keep the commentary & photos coming.

Cathy Gearinger

Hey Cathy! It was so great spending time with you and Bob during our tours and any other time we saw each other around ship or the port. I definitely hope we end up on another cruise again ... tell Bob I said hello please!