No Traditional dining on the Summit?

Cinerama

Traditional dining is filled up on the 4/30/2017 cruise? Must be a mistake.

Are you waitlisted for Early Traditional or Late Traditional? How long ago did you book? It has been our experience lately when we book (usually 12-18 months before the sail date) and always request Early Traditional we are waitlisted for that time. Then about a month or two after booking we are given our request. If you don't want to wait then go with Select Dining and reserve the time you want for each evening.The longer you wait to decide you may not get the time you want in Select Dining either.

Edited by davekathy

IME - especially with a year in advance wait list, it has always cleared by sail date. So there is NO reason to worry or be concerned.

Maybe you can find out how booked your sailing is, currently, then you will know if it is possible that your dining selection is booked at this point, if it is really that critical you have a confirmation at this point in time.

I have had even Select Dining showing as fully booked on one (1) sailing, alas, it was provided four (4) months before sailing.

bon voyage

Cannot select waitlist Early Traditional. Early and Late are both booked. Booked the trip yesterday. Never seen this before when booking through Princess or Royal Caribbean. On previous cruises where we could only get anytime dinning, we would ask for a table of two and got it. But looking at the pictures, they have tables for two on deck 4 but, they are just a few inches away from the next table for two. On deck five which is for Traditional, there are tables for two that are not so close to another table.

Cannot select waitlist Early Traditional. Early and Late are both booked. Booked the trip yesterday. Never seen this before when booking through Princess or Royal Caribbean. On previous cruises where we could only get anytime dinning, we would ask for a table of two and got it. But looking at the pictures, they have tables for two on deck 4 but, they are just a few inches away from the next table for two. On deck five which is for Traditional, there are tables for two that are not so close to another table.

Have the venue through which you booked handle it for you.

bon voyage

On my last Summit cruise in May, we did traditional early dining. It was at 5:30. I was traveling with my family. The early dinner time worked well with my grand kids. They ate dinner and went to the fun factory after dinner. When I travel with my spouse, we choose select dining. It allows us the freedom to decide what time, what size table, share or not, etc. My favorite time is 6:30 to 7. That gives me enough time to enjoy the elite event before dinner. Traditional dining area has shrunk to the balcony instead of the main floor. There are fewer tables in the traditional dining area. It looks like Celebrity is moving in the direction of doing all select dining. On several other cruise lines, there is no traditional type of set table dining. It works. It frees up those empty traditional tables that stay empty while the assigned guests eat at another venue.

I can't open that picture, but there are tables for two on both levels. What may have changed recently is which level Select Dining is on, and which is Traditional. This is a fluid situation -- it may be one level on one cruise, and the other on the next cruise. And it also may vary from ship to ship -- Summit is often an exception to the general order of things. And the Bermuda cruises are often set up differently than the rest of the year.

Bottom line, wait list for the dining time you want, and check back often. If you work with a travel agent, they should do that for you.

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps there are some large groups which have filled the time slots.

Cruisestitch is correct and I would add one other thing. Celebrity has recently switched Select and traditional dining locations in the dining room so there are now less spots for traditional. This was done due to popularity of Select, basically traditional is now on the upper portion of the dining room of the Summit and Select is now on the bottom portion.

We had trad/late on our Summit Canada sailing last month. Great location at railing on second level. Couple at next table was only about 6" away, fortunately we got along great.

We were lucky though. Many 2 tops are in dreadful locations. Some lined the wall inside 2nd level mdr entrance. Lots of foot traffic constantly walking past. A number of others circled the base of the marble staircase on the first level. Not a place where you would expect to find tables.

We had trad/late on our Summit Canada sailing last month. Great location at railing on second level. Couple at next table was only about 6" away, fortunately we got along great.

We were lucky though. Many 2 tops are in dreadful locations. Some lined the wall inside 2nd level mdr entrance. Lots of foot traffic constantly walking past. A number of others circled the base of the marble staircase on the first level. Not a place where you would expect to find tables.

I don't see any tables for two on deck four. Look at the pictures on the link below. The tables for two appear to be on deck 5.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/celebrity-summit-251/cosmpolitan-restaurant-159574/cosmpolitan-restaurant--v8735016/

We just got off the Summit last week. We had select dining which was on deck 4. We made a reservation for 7:15 each evening. We requested a table for 2 by the window when we made our reservation. We were seated promptly every evening at a table for 2. All but 3 nights we were by the window. On those nights, we were seated at the 2nd table from the window. This was our first time to do select dining and we were very happy with it. We had different waiters but good service every night.

I don't see any tables for two on deck four. Look at the pictures on the link below. The tables for two appear to be on deck 5.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/celebrity-summit-251/cosmpolitan-restaurant-159574/cosmpolitan-restaurant--v8735016/

Deck 4 layout was different on our sailing. We had a ring of 2 tops right around the base of the staircase.

We just got off the Summit last week. We had select dining which was on deck 4. We made a reservation for 7:15 each evening. We requested a table for 2 by the window when we made our reservation. We were seated promptly every evening at a table for 2. All but 3 nights we were by the window. On those nights, we were seated at the 2nd table from the window. This was our first time to do select dining and we were very happy with it. We had different waiters but good service every night.

Thank you for the info. If we can get a table by or near the window each night that would be great. Less foot traffic. Did you call each morning to request it?

You might want to see if there are any large groups booked. I have seen this situation on Celebrity when there is a large group planned. They lock up traditional until the group gives them final numbers on their group size/sales. Basically the group gets priority for traditional.