Super mad at Travel Agent!

DisneyDatknee

I just got an email for my TA saying that she said it was non-refundable because of a generic clause in her quote that said "cruise lines can impose their own restrictions. Please view our disclaimer on our site", which was on every quote I received from them regardless the cruise line/ship/sailing. I went onto their site, clicked disclaimer. It said refer to the cruise line cancellation policy, which I did. The policy said I could get my deposit back if I cancelled 75< days before the cruise on HAL's website.

Then she said my rate was "limited-clearance", which was nowhere on my booking or quote.

I'm not attempting to change this anymore (causing a lot of stress and just a lot of blaming), but it's really frustrating when she won't admit to her mistake. All she responded was "I will forward your comments to the branch manager". One of the manager's solutions yesterday was "call your credit card company". Yes?? Call my credit card company to make HAL give me my money back for your mistake? That's not fair to HAL :mad: So I didn't call to dispute this.

I wish I could change the thread title to "Super Mad at TA". Still excited for my trip, just mad that I don't have any flexibility in case anything comes up (thankfully, I booked travel insurance for covered reasons).

:mad::)

I just got an email for my TA saying that she said it was non-refundable because of a generic clause in her quote that said "cruise lines can impose their own restrictions. Please view our disclaimer on our site", which was on every quote I received from them regardless the cruise line/ship/sailing. I went onto their site, clicked disclaimer. It said refer to the cruise line cancellation policy, which I did. The policy said I could get my deposit back if I cancelled 75< days before the cruise on HAL's website.

Then she said my rate was "limited-clearance", which was nowhere on my booking or quote.

I'm not attempting to change this anymore (causing a lot of stress and just a lot of blaming), but it's really frustrating when she won't admit to her mistake. All she responded was "I will forward your comments to the branch manager". One of the manager's solutions yesterday was "call your credit card company". Yes?? Call my credit card company to make HAL give me my money back for your mistake? That's not fair to HAL :mad: So I didn't call to dispute this.

I wish I could change the thread title to "Super Mad at TA". Still excited for my trip, just mad that I don't have any flexibility in case anything comes up (thankfully, I booked travel insurance for covered reasons).

I'd transfer the booking before final payment, honestly. That's shady business and shouldn't be tolerated.

You can click on the red triangle on the right top corner of your post and ask the mods to change the heading for you.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Money was charged on my card by Holland America, so the travel agency never got any money from me. Do you think I could do it because of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is my understanding that the original TA has to release the booking - its completely up to them - in order to transfer it. And it sounds like this TA likely would not do this (just my opinion).

Charging directly to HAL does not impact this (as far as I know).

Edited by DaveOKC

This did happen to me. We were booked for a Mediterranean cruise for this summer. For a variety of reasons, we decided not to do the cruise and instead book one in December. We simply wanted to transfer the deposit and any money we had already paid to the new booking. We used a travel consultant with HAL. We were told we would lose out on $600 ($300 deposit for each of us) because we had booked using a promo. I don't remember being told we would lose the deposit if we cancelled (and we cancelled in March for a July cruise). I do know that we used a promo but I was simply allowing the travel consultant to book the best deal. Anyway, we went back a few times and in the end HAL gave us an upgrade on our December sailing in the amount of our deposit ($600). It was not ideal because we wouldn't have normally booked anything higher that we already did. BUT, it was a compromise we were willing to live with. Maybe your TA can at least get you an upgrade?

This did happen to me. We were booked for a Mediterranean cruise for this summer. For a variety of reasons, we decided not to do the cruise and instead book one in December. We simply wanted to transfer the deposit and any money we had already paid to the new booking. We used a travel consultant with HAL. We were told we would lose out on $600 ($300 deposit for each of us) because we had booked using a promo. I don't remember being told we would lose the deposit if we cancelled (and we cancelled in March for a July cruise). I do know that we used a promo but I was simply allowing the travel consultant to book the best deal. Anyway, we went back a few times and in the end HAL gave us an upgrade on our December sailing in the amount of our deposit ($600). It was not ideal because we wouldn't have normally booked anything higher that we already did. BUT, it was a compromise we were willing to live with. Maybe your TA can at least get you an upgrade?

Nope, Already transferred to HAL. A suggestion to HAL is that they put exclusions in their cancellation policy. I had no ideas these non-refundable promos existed.

When I booked the Niew Amsterdam for a winter break cruise my TA got a lower rate and did explain carefully that the $350 deposit was non-refundable. My caveat was that we wanted a Lido cabana and so she checked beforehand that one was available and booked it immediately following the deposit. I can understand your frustration, but the Eurodam is wonderful - the cabana experience is the best and the Tamarind Restaurant is my favorite! Enjoy your cruise.

Several posters have stated promos are associated with non-refundable deposits. This is not always the case. I have an 'Explore 4' single supplement booking for a 22-day Zaandam, S.A./Antarctica cruise in 2018 and the refundable (I checked) deposit was $300.

I asked my TA what the price would be without the Explore 4 promo. The price would drop by $1280; however, the deposit would increase to $1009... and become non-refundable!

DisneyDatknee, I know this doesn't make you feel any better, but you have educated a lot of us with your post and followup, and for that I thank you.

I do think you'll love the Eurodam. She's a fantastic ship.

We loved our cruise on the Eurodam and I hope you will too. Like Cruise_more_often said, this thread has really educated a lot of us, including me.

DisneyDatknee, I know this doesn't make you feel any better, but you have educated a lot of us with your post and followup, and for that I thank you.

I do think you'll love the Eurodam. She's a fantastic ship.

We loved our cruise on the Eurodam and I hope you will too. Like Cruise_more_often said, this thread has really educated a lot of us, including me.

Glad I could help. I hope this prevents others from booking limited clearance rates without realizing the restrictions.

Several posters have stated promos are associated with non-refundable deposits. This is not always the case. I have an 'Explore 4' single supplement booking for a 22-day Zaandam, S.A./Antarctica cruise in 2018 and the refundable (I checked) deposit was $300.

I asked my TA what the price would be without the Explore 4 promo. The price would drop by $1280; however, the deposit would increase to $1009... and become non-refundable!

I hope this is the case for our upcoming cruise in March. We booked a promo fare with reduced deposit, no mention by the PCC of non refundable deposit. I actually talked to her about an upcoming surgery for DH and hopefully we would know how his recovery would go before final payment and the deposit. I don't see anywhere on my booking that indicates non refundable deposit. It does say cancellation fees start on the day of final payment. I can call our PCC tomorrow, but what is the consensus....does it look like our deposit is refundable?

I hope this is the case for our upcoming cruise in March. We booked a promo fare with reduced deposit, no mention by the PCC of non refundable deposit. I actually talked to her about an upcoming surgery for DH and hopefully we would know how his recovery would go before final payment and the deposit. I don't see anywhere on my booking that indicates non refundable deposit. It does say cancellation fees start on the day of final payment. I can call our PCC tomorrow, but what is the consensus....does it look like our deposit is refundable?

Look up your booking on the website and find the cancellation policy.

You won't believe this! The TA actually incorrectly quoted the whole booking incorrectly and was $191 off. :mad: I just called HAL and they said the rate was $191 more ever since booked and the TA were telling me the wrong balance to be paid. Crazy. :eek:

Edited by DisneyDatknee