cell phone alarm usable?

luckyinpa

anyone have first hand experience using one since you have no signal to sync with. for excursion day we do want to make sure we are up early. we know not to bring an electric clock onboard because of the cycles.

i looked at a few local stores as i did want an LED battery clock so i could see the time in the middle of the night but they arent easy to find locally and we leave sunday. bad planning on my part

We always use the alarm on our cell phone. Also there is an automated phone wake up service. I use both to back each other up. Just be prepared, the wake up call is in military time.

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

I do this every cruise. I just set my phone to airplane mode and use it for everything else I would except connecting. I play games, use the alarm, take photos and make notes just as I would off the ship. :)

As someone else said, make sure to set the time manually on the phone so that it matches the ship time.

Switching to Airplane mode works, but is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut since it stops the phone from being a phone. If you open it up at any time it up to use it when it gets in range of a transmitter even just to receive texts there is a danger that it will change the time settings without you realising it.

The time on the phone will maintain accuracy for days, so the first thing we do is to take off the automatic time setting. Make sure you also take off the automatic time zone change as well. This will stop the system making time changes to your phone whatever you do. All you have to remember then is to change the Select Time Zone in the Settings each time the ship time zone is changed. You will then have a completely reliable alarm clock. It is also great to keep at your bedside in the dark because the time is usually displayed when you wake the phone up, so you can get back to sleep in peace without worrying about what time your poor confused brain thinks it is overnight when moving between different time zones.

I will be on the Epic when we switch back to Standard time. From Daylight Savings time. Will my iPhone auto adjust in airplane mode or will I need to manually adjust it?

You will need to manually adjust the phone's time if it stays in Airplane mode.

Edited by clarea

Set the phone to manual time for you whole cruise. Leave the time setting alone and just adjust the time zone setting to suit local time wherever you are. In manual there is no need to use airplane mode unless you are on an airplane - clue in the name. Once back home, you can go back to automatic and the phone will reset time and time zone after a few minutes contact with your home provider.

anyone have first hand experience using one since you have no signal to sync with. for excursion day we do want to make sure we are up early. we know not to bring an electric clock onboard because of the cycles.

i looked at a few local stores as i did want an LED battery clock so i could see the time in the middle of the night but they arent easy to find locally and we leave sunday. bad planning on my part

Works just fine. You have to do two things though.

1. Put it in airplane mode.
  2. Adjust the time manually to match ship time.

after you do those two things it works just like always.

as much as i played with my phone i never saw the auto time feature. now i do and i'm confident it will work now. just gotta change it when we head to bermuda.

still kinda wish i had a battery LED clock to see in the middle of the nite though. sigh.

as much as i played with my phone i never saw the auto time feature. now i do and i'm confident it will work now. just gotta change it when we head to bermuda.

still kinda wish i had a battery LED clock to see in the middle of the nite though. sigh.

A quick Amazon search tell me that you can buy a battery operated LED alarm clock for as little as $12.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you can get an app that turns your phone into a night clock that displays the time continuously. Of course you would have to plug the charger in so that it doesn't discharge during the night.

will have to try this tonight!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.andreas1724.bigdigitalclock&hl=en

Set the phone to manual time for you whole cruise. Leave the time setting alone and just adjust the time zone setting to suit local time wherever you are. In manual there is no need to use airplane mode unless you are on an airplane - clue in the name. Once back home, you can go back to automatic and the phone will reset time and time zone after a few minutes contact with your home provider.

Us poor folks use Airplane mode to avoid the outrageous roaming fees (particularly data) charged by our carriers. Must be nice not to have to worry about that.

I make sure the phone's time function is set to manual instead of automatic. That way if I turn it on and it connects to the ship's cell tower, the time won't be reset.

Thank you so much for this helpful information. I tried setting my alarm for the gym each morning but my phone was always wrong and I actually would not get a good night sleep since I had no clue if my phone was right or not. I just took a picture of your reaponse (Im on my phone) and plan to print out at work tomorrow so I have for my upcoming cruises.

THANK YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums