Sapphire Princess from Southampton in 2018

shipfriend_max

Hello folks,

the deployment time for summer 2018 should come closer, and today I found advices that Sapphire Princess should sail from Southampton in 2018, those ones served by Crown Princess in 2017.

She is currently listed at Gibraltar and Geiranger:

http://www.gibraltarport.com/schedules

http://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/cruise-calls

Since she is listed in Gibraltar in Oct. 2018, she does not appear to sail the Canada/NE itineraries with Quebec, as Crown does next year after her Southampton season. Any dea which ship could do so?

Maybe Caribbean? She could be operating from NYC a summer season, so why not?

Speculation such as this, base solely on two October calls, is completely over the top. Truly truly long odds that Sapphire will be deployed away from the highly profitable Asian market. Port schedules this far in advance often include cruiselines reserving berths by randomly naming any one of the ships in their fleet. But if you want to get crazy with guessing, those two calls at Gibraltar could just as easily be part of a pair of Asia to Western Europe via the Med and return sailings.

And even hinting at Princess returning to summer sailings from Brooklyn (which they offered in the early '00s only because of reduced demand for Europe thanks to the newly formed TSA making everyone afraid to fly) is simply trolling for responses from the small minority who would sail them.

Edited by fishywood

Speculation such as this, base solely on two October calls, is completely over the top. Truly truly long odds that Sapphire will be deployed away from the highly profitable Asian market.

I wouldn't say that the speculation is based "solely on two October calls". I would surmise that the speculation is based "in part" on two October calls and in part on the fact that Majestic was purpose-built for the Asian market and will be deployed there, whereas Sapphire Princess has not undergone the dramatic Asian transformation of her sister ship, Diamond. Perhaps Majestic goes East while Sapphire goes West. Maybe it has always been the long-term plan to re-deploy Sapphire and that is why they never transformed her. Just a thought.

Edited by JimmyVWine

And I did not mention it before, but: Those calls are actually not new, they have been in the cruise lists even months ago, but there the lists were stating "Caribbean Princess", and today, all those sailings for Caribbean Princess were transformed to "Sapphire Princess"!

So that's indeed an indicator to have Sapphire sailing out of Southampton in 2018.

Also Sapphire has one pool with retractable roof for inclement weather, which is very useful for colder regions such as Norway or the Atlantic.

I just mentioned the October calls at Gibraltar because they indicate that Sapphire does not appear to siwtch to NYC in Sep 2018, as Caribbean did in 2016 after her season from Southampton, and Crown does so in 2017.

The NYC <--> Quebec sailings must be overtaken by another ship than...

Looking at the Sydney ports website the Sapphire is booked from Sydney from October 2018 - March 2019:confused:

There are a few for Emerald but they link in with Sapphire, so probably the one booking, using both names.

Diamond has bookings and Golden a few then goes from Melbourne.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

@cruisequeen: yes you are welcome... :) I am also kinda interested to try out one of the newer Princess ships, but without knowing them, even regarding the layout I can state that the Grand-Class-ships are much more appealing to me...

Looking at the Sydney ports website the Sapphire is booked from Sydney from October 2018 - March 2019:confused:

There are a few for Emerald but they link in with Sapphire, so probably the one booking, using both names.

Diamond has bookings and Golden a few then goes from Melbourne.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

Indeed both Sapphire and Emerald Princess are listed at Sydney... :confused:

NCL deploys Star in Asia/Australia in winter after her Europe season.

It COULD BE that Sapphire also switches between Europe and Asia/Australia in summer/winter, but IMHO it would be a huge effort.

My speculations are:

-Emerald Princess takes the Sydney routes, done by Diamond in 2017/18

-Diamond Princess back to Singapore on the itineraries done by Sapphire in 2017/18

OR: For Sapphire a one-time-Europe deployment is planned, before the 2019 newbuild launches. After Europe from Southampton she might go back to Far East and Australia... :confused:

Obviously Sapphire does not overtake the Canada/NE runs in fall 2018, done by Crown in 2017, so another ship should do. Either Sapphire switches to Caribbean in Nov 2018, or, as mentioned before, back to Far East...

Our cruise on the Sapphire scheduled for March 28, 2018 was cancelled by Princess last week due to redeployment. Anything is possible.

Yeah I forgot to mention that most of the March/Apr. 2018 cruises for Sapphire have been cancelled by Princess. I hope you got compensated well and find an alternative.

I am thrilled about the redeployment route to Europe via Middle East and Suez Canal...

Looking at the Sydney ports website the Sapphire is booked from Sydney from October 2018 - March 2019

I consulted the cruise schedule for Papeete, there in the 2018/19 timeframe, Emerald and Golden Princess are listed.

One could be the 28 night South pacific Ocean cruise from/to LA, offered by Emerald in 2017. And one a Transpacific cruise from north America to Sydney, most likely Golden, or even both?

Sadly the Sydney cruise schedule is not very reliable sometimes, at least when it comes to calls in distant future...

Edited by shipfriend_max

Yeah I forgot to mention that most of the March/Apr. 2018 cruises for Sapphire have been cancelled by Princess. I hope you got compensated well and find an alternative.

Thank you! We officially got $15 per person OBC. I shot a note off to Princess and said that the least they should do is extend the promotion that was in effect at the time we booked this cruise to our alternative cruise. Princess is now offering to give us the beverage package in lieu of 3 for free. We're still trying to figure out our Plan B as we are traveling with friends so we have lots to consider!

My big questionmark is still Canada/New England with Quebec. :confused:

Could it really be that Royal Princess takes over such itineraries??

West Coast would be a little difficult with her upcoming plans, since she is currently sailing Asian waters and seems to be scheduled for Europe in 2018 - who knows in 2019... :)

But at West Coast, you have Crown, Grand, Ruby and Star Princess, which are very similar and also great ships - and in 2017, also Emerald joins the "West Coast fleet"...

We will visit you at West Coast in March 2017, looking forward to you. :)

Edited by shipfriend_max

It does seem probable that Sapphire will make a west bound trip through the Suez in the spring of 2018. Her last cruise from Singapore returns on March 14; there are no other cruises showing for her. She does show up in the port of Gibraltar on April 30. That leaves a gap of 48 days. I would think that a dry docking in Singapore then the repostioning voyage. This year Emerald took 30 days for London to Singapore; perhaps a similar voyage will be undertaken by Sapphire.

It does seem probable that Sapphire will make a west bound trip through the Suez in the spring of 2018. Her last cruise from Singapore returns on March 14; there are no other cruises showing for her. She does show up in the port of Gibraltar on April 30. That leaves a gap of 48 days. I would think that a dry docking in Singapore then the repostioning voyage. This year Emerald took 30 days for London to Singapore; perhaps a similar voyage will be undertaken by Sapphire.

That's VERY VERY LIKELY IMHO, maybe ebven the same itinerary in the reversed order I could guess?

I would just be wondering about that, since the Middel Eastern area is rather a little dangerous due to the pirates and the political circumstances... :(

But all cruise ships having sailied those itineraries have survived that area...

I am still wondering that she seems to be due to sail from Southampton until Oct 2018. Crown does not do so in 2017, which is the obviously doing the Sapphire itineraries in 2017 - in Sep. she switches to Canada/NE. I am asking myself which ship could replace her in Canada/NE in 2018? :confused:

Also I am not sure where Sapphire could sail after her Europe season in fall 2018...

And I did not mention it before, but: Those calls are actually not new, they have been in the cruise lists even months ago, but there the lists were stating "Caribbean Princess", and today, all those sailings for Caribbean Princess were transformed to "Sapphire Princess"!

So that's indeed an indicator to have Sapphire sailing out of Southampton in 2018.

Also Sapphire has one pool with retractable roof for inclement weather, which is very useful for colder regions such as Norway or the Atlantic.

I just mentioned the October calls at Gibraltar because they indicate that Sapphire does not appear to siwtch to NYC in Sep 2018, as Caribbean did in 2016 after her season from Southampton, and Crown does so in 2017.

The NYC <--> Quebec sailings must be overtaken by another ship than...

My thoughts:

Caribbean Princess - Summer 2018 Caribbean sailings

Sapphire Princess - Summer 2018 through the Suez Canal to do Norway/Iceland/Northern Europe sailings, then back through the Suez Canal after the season

Princess just redeployed Sapphire mentioned by another poster, and based off seeing Sapphire in Sydney, this seems the most likely to me.

That's VERY VERY LIKELY IMHO, maybe ebven the same itinerary in the reversed order I could guess?

I would just be wondering about that, since the Middel Eastern area is rather a little dangerous due to the pirates and the political circumstances... :(

But all cruise ships having sailied those itineraries have survived that area...

I am still wondering that she seems to be due to sail from Southampton until Oct 2018. Crown does not do so in 2017, which is the obviously doing the Sapphire itineraries in 2017 - in Sep. she switches to Canada/NE. I am asking myself which ship could replace her in Canada/NE in 2018? :confused:

Also I am not sure where Sapphire could sail after her Europe season in fall 2018...

My 2 cents on what I think we see Summer/Fall 2018:

Royal: British Isles - Canada NE

Regal: Baltic - Canada NE

Crown: Med - Canada NE

Sapphire: Suez - Norway/Iceland/etc - Suez

Pacific: Maybe Med/World Cruise?

Caribbean: Caribbean

Ruby, Emerald, Star, Grand, Island, Coral (Maybe Golden?): Alaska

Diamond: Japan/Asia

Sea, Sun: Asia/Aust

Majestic: Asia

I think I got them all? Dawn is leaving the fleet and the new build won't be out until 2019 I think? Obviously just an educated guess here but that's my bet :p

You are good [emoji28]

Crown Princess Canada/NE sadly is pretty unlikely since she is listed at Gibraltar until Nov, and at Funchal as well. So she does not seem to return to North America.

Royal to Canada/NE was also my thoughts, although I would be wondering if such a huge ship sails up to Quebec.

But via excluding principle it might be a likely candidate for the longer Canada/NE runs.

Regal again on the 7 night runs.

I was also considering that Caribbean might sail from NYC throughout the summer season and Canada/NE in fall...

For Alaska, I suppose the following:

Emerald, Ruby from Seattle; Star, Coral and GOLDEN between Vancouver and Whittier; Grand from San Francisco.

As Golden sails from Japan to Vancouver in Apr 2018, it's well believable to see her sailing the Voyage of the Glaciers.

Island Princess does not seem to return to Alaska, her repo from LA to Vancouver in Apr 18 has been cancelled. Maybe she might sail Caribbean from summer, or to be deployed year-round from LA?

Sapphire to Australia and Asia after Europe might well be, although the effort would be huge to send her back from Europe to Far East. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by shipfriend_max

You are good [emoji28]

Crown Princess Canada/NE sadly is pretty unlikely since she is listed at Gibraltar until Nov, and at Funchal as well. So she does not seem to return to North America.

Royal to Canada/NE was also my thoughts, although I would be wondering if such a huge ship sails up to Quebec.

But via excluding principle it might be a likely candidate for the longer Canada/NE runs.

Regal again on the 7 night runs.

I was also considering that Caribbean might sail from NYC throughout the summer season and Canada/NE in fall...

For Alaska, I suppose the following:

Emerald, Ruby from Seattle; Star, Coral and GOLDEN between Vancouver and Whittier; Grand from San Francisco.

As Golden sails from Japan to Vancouver in Apr 2018, it's well believable to see her sailing the Voyage of the Glaciers.

Island Princess does not seem to return to Alaska, her repo from LA to Vancouver in Apr 18 has been cancelled. Maybe she might sail Caribbean from summer, or to be deployed year-round from LA?

Sapphire to Australia and Asia after Europe might well be, although the effort would be huge to send her back from Europe to Far East. [emoji5]

Is the call to Funchal just once? If so I bet that's a transatlantic call, they've been going across the Atlantic earlier/later every year it seems. I believe Princess also cancelled Crown's last two Caribbean calls for drydock, so I assume she goes right over to Europe after that.

Yeah it is just a single call once, so it is extremely likely to be a Transatlantic call, yes. I am pretty sure she will go to Europe strait after her Florida season.

Last year by end of October Princess has released the schedule for summer 2017, and in Dec everything for summer 2017 was open to book.

Maybe next week we will have the summer schedule for 2018, which lifts all the speculation and secrets... [emoji5]

Yeah it is just a single call once, so it is extremely likely to be a Transatlantic call, yes. I am pretty sure she will go to Europe strait after her Florida season.

Last year by end of October Princess has released the schedule for summer 2017, and in Dec everything for summer 2017 was open to book.

Maybe next week we will have the summer schedule for 2018, which lifts all the speculation and secrets... [emoji5]

Fingers crossed! I like to plan my vacations way in advance :D

CruiseQueenB,

Your speculation has been right: Caribbean Princess is listed @cayman Islands throughout the summer season 2018: https://www.caymanport.com/ship-schedule-results/

It seems very obvious that Princess may follow it's main competitor Celebrity and also deploys a ship in Caribbean throughout the summer season - I do not really like that... :(

As she is also listed in Caribbean in Sep/Oct (typical Canada/NE season), in fact another ship should sail the runs between NYc and Quebec - Royal Princess would be most likely candidate, IMHO, if regal sails the 7 night runs...

CruiseQueenB,

Your speculation has been right: Caribbean Princess is listed @cayman Islands throughout the summer season 2018: https://www.caymanport.com/ship-schedule-results/

It seems very obvious that Princess may follow it's main competitor Celebrity and also deploys a ship in Caribbean throughout the summer season - I do not really like that... :(

As she is also listed in Caribbean in Sep/Oct (typical Canada/NE season), in fact another ship should sail the runs between NYc and Quebec - Royal Princess would be most likely candidate, IMHO, if Regal sails the 7 night runs...