Dessert Only in MDR

I haven't done it yet...have wanted to though...several poster's have with MTD with no problem or even said they walked up and asked for a dessert togo. I would only consider it with MTD.

Edited by Ashland

We will be on the Serenade next February. Is it possible to go to the MDR later in the evening just for dessert or is this kind of tacky?

Well, if you have traditional dining (set time) of early or late, you cannot just show up when you want only dessert because

1.) as mentioned, you can't go to your table over an hour late. It throws off the timing for the wait team and it is considered rude

2.) if you have early dining and you try to go much later, someone else is at your assigned table. It's not going to work.

You can do this with My Time Dining, however. You can go at whatever time you like (until it closes) and order whatever you want. Or you can go to the Windjammer buffet and try the dessert selection there. It's often several of the same items, just in larger portions! :p

If you have traditional dining (early or late) and you would only like desserts, ask the maitre D if you can order just dessert to go. We have done this on NCL before, but not RC. If you have traditional dining, and go the first night, you could also ask your waiter if you can do this, and how to go about it.

If you have MTD, you can go in, and order just dessert. I have ordered just appetizers and dessert in the past. Not a problem. I prefer the MTD for the flexibility and hardly ever make reservations ahead of time.

I neglected to mention that we do have MTD.

Well then, you can certainly go in later for dessert. :)

I enjoy having "real" ice cream in the MDR. I would just walk up to the front and ask for a bowl to go!

On Serenade (OP's ship) and in fact on all our most recent cruises, all the ships have had an ice cream station for dessert in the evening. The cutest little girl was serving on Serenade a few years ago - she always smiled so big when my husband would go up after dinner for his ice cream! We tipped her at the end of the cruise because she was so lovely and sweet. :)

Yes, you can come to dinner late and order just dessert. We did this a couple of nights on our Adventure of the Seas cruise when the Windjammer offerings were better than the MDR menu. The server was accommodating, no problem. We timed our arrival to dessert about an hour after dinner started, so it would not be an imposition to the servers. If you know that you want to do this, in advance, mention it to you your server so they will be prepared.

Edited by LaShelle2

• 1 month later...

I'm no expert ... but I thought I'd add that on the Brilliance, there were several 2 person tables in the MDR ... so arriving late and telling the host/ess that you would just like dessert and asking for a two person table should be absolutely no problem and there would be no issue of 'tackiness' as it might apply if you were at a table with lots of other guests.

FWIW ... I found the desserts to be sort of 'hit' or 'miss' ... even in the MDR.

My friend and I shared and sampled one another's desserts each evening so I tried several ... and hoestly, I was not as impressed by most of the desserts as I had expected to be ... but its a 'texture' issue for me more so than a taste issue. Wayyyy too many of them had too much of a gelatin or slightly rubbery texture for my preferences.

I was especially disappointed to find that the tiramisu was like that ... the part that should have been a delicious yummy creamy layer had a very congealed texture. And, the carrot cake was incredibly dense and almost clay like in texture, as opposed to being moist bust still sort of airy/fluffy and cakey. Though the icing and the nuts on top were delicious.

The absolute BEST chocolatey dessert I tried was the Bûche de Noël which was on the special Holiday/Christmas menu. It was VERY good ... yummy chocolate ... light fluffy cake, smooth creaming filling, etc. Definitely would recommend it ... with a cup of coffee!

And the blueberry/peach crumble was good, but I only ate the part that had vanilla ice cream on top ... if I had it to do over ... I would order it again but with extra ice cream.

One of the best desserts I had was simply strawberries with sugar free vanilla ice cream ... which didn't even taste sugar free ... and the berries were marinated in something yummy ... Grand Marnier maybe?!!??!

Edited by Cro_and_Swan