What are your must haves, traditions, and secrets on a Royal cruise?

We like to cruise to new places so we always get to the departing port at least two days before the cruise to explore the new city. The other thing we do is that after we check in (around noon) we have lunch and head straight for the dining room to check out our dining room table and if needed make a switch.

Usually try to have lunch in the MDR at least one sea day - the tutti salad is wonderful!

Order a cheese plate and pour a glass of wine to relax on the balcony as we are leaving port.....especially if we've been on an excursion. Great way to chill before getting ready for dinner!

We get a fruit plate and a cheese plate on sea days from room service.

We like to enjoy sail away in the Viking Crown Lounge.

Avoid the art auctions. (Winning a "free" prize cost me $200!)

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR at least once.

Find some peace and quiet at least once a day and truly relax.

We do the top to bottom tour of the ship ourselves too.

We eat most of our meals in the dinning room. I also recommend trying the new items for you on the menu since it is an opportunity to be daring-even if daring doesn't work. they can be quicker then fighting the buffet at busy times.

I've learned to take the hangers off the rod after packing up on the last day. Otherwise the rocking of the boat when heading to port will surely give you a rude awakening. [emoji31]

Of course I hang them back up before we leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by TigerCruzin

My must haves:

A new book on my kindle

A hump balcony

My water camera

Scent Bug for the cabin

My traditions:

A mimosa to start the mornings

Sail away on my own balcony with a bottle of bubbly and chocolate covered strawberries

The secrets I'm getting from here!! I love this thread OP!

Add us to the list of people who arrive at the departure port at least a day early (if we're flying in--Baltimore is the only one to which we drive). We try to arrive at the cruise terminal between 10:00 and 11:00 simply because we can't wait to be onboard...and then we have a drink at the pool bar.

I also unpack as soon as the rooms are ready. I want it to feel as much like home as possible as quickly as possible.

We always have a balcony cabin but I like to do sailaway above the main pool deck. The vibe is always energetic and it's a great way to "get the party started."

One of the newer things we're doing is the Chef's Table. We've done it on 3 cruises thus far and loved it every time. It's worth the cost!

We usually are on board around 12 noon or so and we head up to the Windjammer for a quick lunch and people watching and then go to the MDR to see exactly where our table is located for dinner each night.

Usually a meet & greet at the sky bar with folks from the roll call before sail away.

Watch sail away from the helo pad if on a ship that has one. :cool:

What are your must haves, traditions, and faves on Royal Caribbean? Please share anything from packing tips, steamers, luggage tricks, drink packages, shows, traditions before and on board, foods, from fave drinks to dining!!!! Let's have it for all of the seasoned cruisers to the newbies!! What can't you live without doing, seeing, or bringing? If you LOVE it share it!! AND GO!!!

Traditions

++++++

Get organised on first day. Unpack, check out ship, do a Spa tour, meet the cabin steward, pre-dinner drinks and catch the evening show.

The first day shows are not always great but it is tradition.

Gets a little busy on the first day so do my best to not get caught up in the crowds.

Must have

+++++++

I am from UK so must have a decent cup of tea. It means bringing your own tea bags.

Faves

++++

Grabbing a coffee in the Diamond lounge in the afternoon when it is nice and quiet.

If fortunate to be in a suite then sun deck is an amazing bit of exclusive space on Oasis class ships.

Giovani's and Sabor Es were favourites amongst speciality dinning on Oasis.

Drinks

++++

Really like Bloody Mary. Has become a favourite lately.

Port Stops

+++++++

Get off early before it starts to get crowded.

About 4 or 5 cruise ago I started bringing along one of those over the door shoe organizers for the bathroom door. It holds EVERYTHING for DH and I and we love it! He originally laughed at me when I brought it out the first time but now he waits for me to get it hung up so he can unload his stuff into it too!

We also cruise with several family/friends and we all bring small white boards with magnetic strips for the outside of our cabin doors to leave each other notes during the day.

I first go to the MDR to check out my seating. I have had the experience of asking for a large table of 8 or 10 and they put me and my wife with a table of 4. Had to have the waiters change my table the first night.

If you ever have to go to the Guest Relations avoid the evenings; it is total madness. Try early in the morning to avoid the crowds.

If you have booked an excursion; visit the shore excursion desk and check the details of your booking. They can give you much more information about the trip

I always get the little ship model!

I get up before the rest of my group and watch the sunrise from either the very front or very back of the top deck. around 6:30-7:00AM it feels like a private yacht up there. Then I head for an 8am Screwdriver/Mimosa BECAUSE YOUVE GOT TO GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH OUT OF THE DRINK PACKAGE!!!:D

For many years, our 'tradition' was get onboard early, grab something to eat in the Windjammer then head straight to the ship library and pick out several books to read. Sadly, libraries onboard RCCL are now a thing of the past. You are lucky if you find a few shelves with books, and many of them are not in English. I guess libraries are not 'cost-effective' and the kindles etc. have made them obsolete. Now, I bring paperback books with me, and leave them on the bookshelf when I disembark.

"Bubbly on the balcony" :D

Have always enjoyed sail away with a glass of champagne on our

balcony. Even when we had to smuggle it on. ;) :p

Now it is waiting for us on ice when we check into our cabin...nice!

Edited by island lady