Cleaning your cabin when boarding.

danielsumner

We put things away, put dirty towels in a pile on bathroom floor and use the make-p room signs. We try to make things as easy as possible for the stewards. We do not clean the room. We haven't been sick on any one of our cruises; we have great immune systems, built up over many years.

Same for us. We make it easy for the room stewards but I draw the line at doing their job for them and obsessively cleaning the room. We are not afraid of a germ or too and they have yet to attack us on any of our 15 cruises.

I bring Lysol wipes and we clean the room before we do anything else. Door and drawer handles, light switches, phone, remote - anything people usually touch and use. Any way I could prevent picking up someone's cold or dyssentry is worth trying. The previous people could have left the cabin at 10:00 coughing and hacking, and you will get your room by 1:00-ish. Ask yourself if the steward had time to wipe a rag over everything you could touch in every room. I don't think so.

As for keeping the room clean, the steward has to vacuum, straighten the bed, take out the garbage and dishes, and clean up the bathroom. The least we can do is get our stuff out of the way to make the work as easy as possible.

Was there any reason beside the fact that you thought you were being cute that you broke your post up into 4 posts. Or was it a way to increase your post count?

DON

Must have wanted to keep people in suspense waiting for the next bit of that wonderful piece of literature.

So glad I have not been afflicted with OCD.

I don't clean my cabin at all. Not my idea of fun. And all that alcohol and disinfectant crap smells just awful, and does no good. I have a healthy immune system and I let it do its job. Almost never sick. But boy I know some clean freaks who are constantly coming down with something.

We expect a clean cabin when we buy a cruise.

We leave all of our cleaning products at home when we travel. One of the pleasures of travelling is not having to cook, clean, etc. Nor do we put much stock in the adverts for those cleaning products designed for travel. Most of them are nothing much more than an alcohol wipe with some fragrance added for that 'clean' smell.

No problems yet after many years of travel, lots of cruises. Our other precautions such as vigorous, frequent hand washing, avoiding certain buffet areas, not using public restrooms have worked for us.

Edited by iancal

You should wear a mask like the Japanese germaphobics to protect us all. Come over to my house. We'll play in the cow manure in our bare feet and get germs all over us. We could butcher and play in the guts if you'd like. If the help can't clean a cabin right, go to the people with bars on their shoulders.

Edited by WupperAV

I don't bother cleaning cabin , I just try to wash my hands regularly and not put my hands near my face (which I actually find really hard🤔).

I do travel with a small bottle of antiseptic gel to use incase there is no water and soap available (excursions or public restrooms) , though I never feel clean unless I've actually washed 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Ditto on thorough hand washing. But, I'm not cleaning house on vacation.

However, if it makes you feel comfortable to disinfect all the surfaces in your cabin, who is anyone else to say you shouldn't?

Maybe I don't worry because I almost never get sick. The last time was about 4 years ago. I had something like the Norovirus. No one I knew was sick and I hadn't been anywhere near a ship. The only place I could have gotten it was at the grocery store. Good luck disinfecting that place.

Edited by Blondilu
to correct

I remember years ago my doctor talking about anti bacteria soaps when they first became popular. She was totally against them, and said in the future they will cause many more problems than they are supposed to prevent. She always said plain soap and water was the best preventive.

If she's still your doctor I'd keep seeing her, because she was right. The FDA is banning soaps with 19 common 'antibacterial' agents. Primarily because they don't work and may do more harm than good.

Which is also what a lot of these folks who insist on disinfecting are doing. They're the anti-vaxxers and over-prescribers of communicable diseases. They lower the herd immunity and encourage the growth of disinfectant resistant bacteria and viruses.

This is exactly the direction that we have always had from public health professionals.

I think that people are paying more attention and spending more time listening to and viewing misleading manufacturer advertising than they are to those in the profession who have no interest in selling anything.

So much advertising leads me to believe that those products are highly profit margin rich.

Edited by iancal

I am a Business Broker and a General Contract. I deal mostly with restaurants and saw hundred of kitchens not accessible to the public. I wondered how can people not be sick after enjoying their meal. We are all immune.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are much more likely to eat street food in Thailand and Vietnam than we are to eat in the ships buffet.

And when we do attend the ship buffet we seldom select items that are open and we never take the first plate on the pile (after seeing a few people paw them and place them back on top). Our experience is that seniors are by far the worst buffet customers...most especially those that appear to be in their 70's and older.

We are much more likely to eat street food in Thailand and Vietnam than we are to eat in the ships buffet.

And when we do attend the ship buffet we seldom select items that are open and we never take the first plate on the pile (after seeing a few people paw them and place them back on top). Our experience is that seniors are by far the worst buffet customers...most especially those that appear to be in their 70's and older.

Is that because the street vendors in Thailand and Vietnam wash their hands for twenty seconds in soap and water after serving each bit of food?

And what do you do with the first plate on the pile, after you've joined the list of people who have pawed it? :)

If she's still your doctor I'd keep seeing her, because she was right. The FDA is banning soaps with 19 common 'antibacterial' agents. Primarily because they don't work and may do more harm than good.

Which is also what a lot of these folks who insist on disinfecting are doing. They're the anti-vaxxers and over-prescribers of communicable diseases. They lower the herd immunity and encourage the growth of disinfectant resistant bacteria and viruses.

"Disinfectant resistant"? Bacteria can develop resistances to antibacterial soaps and such, but most of the disinfectants being discussed in this thread don't operate like that. Alcohol and bleach don't create "super bugs." They kill bacteria and viruses on contact and are perfectly safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are Clean Freaks. First thing I do when we get to our cabin on a ship is look in all the closets, drawers, ect. Next we take out our bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol and attach a spray head, grab wash cloths from the bath and away we go. All door handles, tv, tv remote , table tops, inside drawers, shelfs ect. The entire bath gets a spray down and wipe. It might not really do anything but makes us feel better. Ask the steward for two pool towels to put down on the sofa, The bed spread is put away and not to be seen again. I've been known to grab a vacuum from the hall much to the horror of the cabin attentents to tidy up missed areas. Doesn't take much time at all. Steward's love us, we are the easy ones to take care of, I cringe when we walk by some open doors, how do some people live like that, is that what their home life is like?

I would not call us "clean freaks" but we do keep our cabin in order... the degree that you go to, I assume is to keep yourselves healthy maybe not??? I wonder why you ever leave home. Just kidding.

For health reasons, I do wipe down anything I may touch on an airplane to advoid picking up bad bugs. We also avoid public rest rooms on board ships as much as possible. But other than this we don't feel a need to clean our cabins. I do set the heat at the lowest level, to turn off the air conditioning when we sleep at night to avoid getting colds. We generally stay well on most trips... like you our room stewards are happy we maintain a tidy room... but we do let them do the basic cleaning.