Cleaning your cabin when boarding.

danielsumner

I brought Lysol wipes with us for the first 5-6 cruises. I never opened it up nor wiped anything down. Ever. The ocean was calling....

Lol!! Me too!!! I finally stopped bringing all the "Extras" that people suggested (except for my highlighter).

We clean everything...............

You clean the walls, ceiling, carpeting, mattress, chair, desk, lamps, ....? :confused:

I never clean anything and have never gotten ill on a cruise. Perhaps that is because my parents allowed us to play outside and get dirty where we were exposed to germs when we were young. That allowed us to build immunity to normal germs and viruses. I rarely get sick, even though I am in my late 60s. Unlike children these days who are forced to live a sanitized life by their well meaning parents, but who as adults will be susceptible to minor illnesses because they lived in a sterile environment as a child, those in my generation don't live in fear of germs.

Edited by sloopsailor

We clean everything...............

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You clean the walls, ceiling, carpeting, mattress, chair, desk, lamps, ....? :confused:

I never clean anything and have never gotten ill on a cruise. Perhaps that is because my parents allowed us to play outside and get dirty where we were exposed to germs when we were young. That allowed us to build immunity to normal germs and viruses. I rarely get sick, even though I am in my late 60s. Unlike children these days who are forced to live a sanitized life by their well meaning parents, but who as adults will be susceptible to minor illnesses because they lived in a sterile environment as a child, those in my generation don't live in fear of germs.

Great response! There comes a point where you transition from being "a clean freak" into a mental illness. It is a fine line. My wife does a cursory bed bug inspection to include setting small traps which serve as a detector. We also inspect the drawers and closet for things that may have been abandoned. However there is no way that we are going to scrub the room down. It is cruise time, we are cruising to get away from mundane daily tasks. We have people for that called the room steward.

Is there a question in the opening post? If so, I missed it. All I 'hear from my eread off that post it is a need for validation of their choices of cleaning therir cab in. good for them. t is their ca bin. If that is what they wish, to do, go for it. BUT no one reading here should think they are in some way lessser or less fastidiious if trhedy do not reclean their cab in. What is the purpose of thisthread? To determine who is the best home -maker, house keeper? Who keeps a clean house or hotel room, ship ca in? crazy, IMO. Who cares? Clean to you r heart's content if that is what you wish, OR , do not clean a ca bin, i f you don't wish. Is there a prize for who raaves how clean they are and likely how dirty the rest of us are? wHAT IS Tthe PRIZE?

Seruiously, is there a point or a question somewhere? Or arewe to applaud those who take the time to not only clean their cab in but to tell us how clean they are?

The joke is how would any of us know or care if the one who gets the Mr /MS Cleana award is not the same person who h

My husband brings a pressure washer, fumigator, bio-hazard containers, and hazmat suits. Until we get everything sterilized, we never enter the room without the hazmat suit. We usually get everything cleaned to our satisfaction by the third day - but only if we don't take any excursions during that time.

Can't be too safe, ya know!

820854aef1c0c1c4e0bc4912d3ce5503.jpgPG-Action1_d600.jpg

Fumigation_640.jpg?itok=FCq9O4MQBiohazard-Waste-Disposal-Container_300.jpg

Edited by PTMary

Is therew a quewstion in the opening post? If so, I missed it. All I 'hear from my eread offd that post it is a need forf validation of their choices of cleaning thnerir cab in. good for them. t istheir ca bin. If that is what they wish, to do, go for it. BUT no one reading here should think they are in some way lessser or less fastidiious if trhedy do not reclean their cab in. What is the purpose of thisthread? To determine who is the best home -maker, house keeper? Who keeps a clean house or hotel room, ship ca in? crazy, IMO. Who cares? Clean to you r heart's content if that is what you wish, OR , do not clean a ca bin, i f you don't wish. :D Is there a prize for who raaves how clean they are and likely how dirty the rest of us are? wHAT IS Tthe PRIZE?

Seruiously, is there a point or a question somewhere? Or arewe to applaud those who take the time to not only clean their cab in but to tell us how clean they are? :

OP where so you want us to take this thread? Are we to listen to a diaatribe of we are cleaner than you are?

The joke is how would any of us know or care if the one who gets the Mr /MS Clean award is not the same person who handles food in Lido trays after using the resttroom and perhaps washing or perhaps not washing their hands.

Edited by sail7seas

What did we do before wipes were invented? :rolleyes:

The world is full of germs... There's no way of getting away from it. Isn't this why we have an immune system? Yes, there are exceptions e.g weakened immune systems but that isn't the norm here.

Isn't the function of the mucus membrane to stop pathogens and dirt from entering the body and to prevent bodily tissues from becoming dehydrated?

It's been our experience that the ship's AC (or most any AC system for that matter) is overly dry where it dry's up the mucus membrane in my nose thus allowing germs to enter the body so I get sick. I used to wakeup all stuffed up because it was so dry in our cabin so we usually carry saline nasal spray to keep our mucus membranes moist and when we do, knock on wood, we haven't gotten sick! Didn't take it for all of last cruise and came down with sinus infections when we got home but that may have been a result of the plane ride home.

Like others have mentioned in this thread.... We're also part of the camping crowd who have camped with outhouses, cooking and eating outdoors. Going days without a shower smelling of campfire smoke and I can't recall ever been sick out there... :cool:

YMMV

Edited by hel0013

Is therew a quewstion in the opening post? If so, I missed it. All I 'hear from my eread offd that post it is a need forf validation of their choices of cleaning thnerir cab in. good for them. ..........OP where so you want us to take this thread? Are we to listen to a diaatribe of we are cleaner than you are?

Personally I think the posters differing from the OP are more numerous and obnoxious than the OP. The OP has one opinion, you have another. Leave out the uncivil parts and move on.

Burt

Is there a question in the opening post? If so, I missed it. All I 'hear from my eread off that post it is a need for validation of their choices of cleaning therir cab in. good for them. t is their ca bin. If that is what they wish, to do, go for it. BUT no one reading here should think they are in some way lessser or less fastidiious if trhedy do not reclean their cab in. What is the purpose of thisthread? To determine who is the best home -maker, house keeper? Who keeps a clean house or hotel room, ship ca in? crazy, IMO. Who cares? Clean to you r heart's content if that is what you wish, OR , do not clean a ca bin, i f you don't wish. Is there a prize for who raaves how clean they are and likely how dirty the rest of us are? wHAT IS Tthe PRIZE?

Seruiously, is there a point or a question somewhere? Or arewe to applaud those who take the time to not only clean their cab in but to tell us how clean they are?

The joke is how would any of us know or care if the one who gets the Mr /MS Cleana award is not the same person who h

Yes there was a question in the opening post (actually 2 questions):

"Steward's love us, we are the easy ones to take care of, I cringe when we walk by some open doors, how do some people live like that, is that what their home life is like?"

• Like 1

Ifd there is a question by OP, I missedx it. All I am etin crom the messaae is plea forf validation of their choices of cleaning their cab in. good for them. t istheir ca bin. If that is what they wish, to do, go for it. BUT no one reading here should think they are in some way lessser or less fastidiious if trhedy do not reclean their cab in. What is the purpose of thisthread? To determine who is the best home -maker, house keeper? Who keeps a clean house or hotel room, ship ca in? crazy, IMO. Who cares? Clean to you r heart's content if that is what you wish, OR , do not clean a ca bin, i f you don't wish. :D Is there a prize for who raaves how clean they are and likely how dirty the rest of us are? wHAT IS Tthe PRIZE?

Seruiously, is there a point or a question somewhere? Or arewe to applaud those who take the time to not only clean their cab in but to tell us how clean they are? :D

The joke is how would any of us know or care if the one who gets the Mr /MS Cleana award is not the same person who handles food in Lido aF

ter using rest room and may or may not have washed their hands.

OP where do you want us togo with your thread?

Edited by sail7seas

Ifd there is a question by OP, I missedx it. All I am etin crom the messaae is plea forf validation of their choices of cleaning their cab in. good for them. t istheir ca bin. If that is what they wish, to do, go for it. BUT no one reading here should think they are in some way lessser or less fastidiious if trhedy do not reclean their cab in. What is the purpose of thisthread? To determine who is the best home -maker, house keeper? Who keeps a clean house or hotel room, ship ca in? crazy, IMO. Who cares? Clean to you r heart's content if that is what you wish, OR , do not clean a ca bin, i f you don't wish. :D Is there a prize for who raaves how clean they are and likely how dirty the rest of us are? wHAT IS Tthe PRIZE?

Seruiously, is there a point or a question somewhere? Or arewe to applaud those who take the time to not only clean their cab in but to tell us how clean they are? :D

The joke is how would any of us know or care if the one who gets the Mr /MS Cleana award is not the same person who handles food in Lido aF

ter using rest room and may or may not have washed their hands.

OP where do you want us togo with your thread?

Not sure why you keep posting this same thing, but see above as to what the original question was.

Well said, but it is not going to ring true with the people who really need it.

Yes there was a question in the opening post (actually 2 questions):

"Steward's love us, we are the easy ones to take care of, I cringe when we walk by some open doors, how do some people live like that, is that what their home life is like?"

Some of us took them as being rhetorical, how would one answer such a flkimsy sort of question? Go for ir please as you seem to think them serious queestions.. :)

Some of us took them as being rhetorical, how would one answer such a flkimsy sort of question? Go for ir please as you seem to think them serious queestions.. :)

I think I've correctly deciphered your post, so I'll attempt to answer the questions you find so difficult.

Question 1. Quite easily. In both comfort and health.

Question two. Yes. At times.

The germ hysteria makes very little sense when one uses a little common sense. So let us assume you are in your cabin 10 hours a day or which 8 is spent in bed. So all this cleaning of your cabin (which is meaningless given that your steward is coming into your cabin at least twice a day) only impacts what you might touch for a couple of waking hours. Meanwhile, you are likely spending as much as 16 hours a day, outside your cabin in areas that you cannot wipe down with your wipes. Because there are so few folks in your cabin, that is likely the cleanest place you will visit. Once you leave your cabin you are touching places that have been touched by many other people. So the solution for germophobes it to sterilize their cabin, and never leave it! Use only room service for food, and wipe down all your food,plates and utensils with your wipes (you would likely get poisoned). And for heavens sake, never go ashore where there are all kind of germs, viruses, etc. that will GET YOU!

Hank

Personally I think the posters differing from the OP are more numerous and obnoxious than the OP. The OP has one opinion, you have another. Leave out the uncivil parts and move on.

Burt

ALLERT.jpg

Civility Police alert. Everybody hide!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Once. We clean it once, as soon as we get into the cabin. Just in case the previous occupants had a horrible cold or a gastro-enteric issue. We bring disinfectant wipes, and rub them on places sick people might have had their hands on - light switches, drawer pulls, phone handset and buttons, door handles. After that, we take our chances.

I'm under no illusions about how long stewards have available to clean all their cabins by 1:30 pm. They do a great job, but disinfecting every little doo-dad? No. It takes us ten minutes, and makes us feel a little better about maybe not picking up a stray sneezy-hacking germ.

Once. We clean it once, as soon as we get into the cabin. Just in case the previous occupants had a horrible cold or a gastro-enteric issue. We bring disinfectant wipes, and rub them on places sick people might have had their hands on - light switches, drawer pulls, phone handset and buttons, door handles. After that, we take our chances.

I'm under no illusions about how long stewards have available to clean all their cabins by 1:30 pm. They do a great job, but disinfecting every little doo-dad? No. It takes us ten minutes, and makes us feel a little better about maybe not picking up a stray sneezy-hacking germ.

If I remember I will do an abbreviated version of this. If I don't remember, oh well.

I think I've correctly deciphered your post, so I'll attempt to answer the questions you find so difficult.

Question 1. Quite easily. In both comfort and health.

Question two. Yes. At times.

Maybe you could decipher the previous post for all of us so we know what the question is that you are answering.

It is a testament to the effectiveness of media advertising of products that have zero or limited value but make us 'feel good'.

A damp cloth would do just as well if the goal really is simply to move those nasty things around on a hard surface rather than eliminate them.

Watch what you eat and touch in the buffet, vigorously wash your hands multiple times per day, keep your hands, and anything that your hands touch out of your mouth, avoid public restrooms, try not to touch the banisters and elevator buttons. Don't pick up books in the library or discards. If your table mates are coughing, hacking, sneezing get yourself assigned to another table. Being polite and remaining is the wrong choice...as is shaking hands.

Far better than any of those so call disinfectant wipes. Common sense trumps television commercials any time, any place.

Edited by iancal

It is a testament to the effectiveness of media advertising of products that have zero or limited value but make us 'feel good'.

A damp cloth would do just as well if the goal really is simply to move those nasty things around on a hard surface rather than eliminate them.

Watch what you eat and touch in the buffet, vigorously wash your hands multiple times per day, keep your hands, and anything that your hands touch out of your mouth, avoid public restrooms, try not to touch the banisters and elevator buttons. Don't pick up books in the library or discards. If your table mates are coughing, hacking, sneezing get yourself assigned to another table. Being polite and remaining is the wrong choice...as is shaking hands.

Far better than any of those so call disinfectant wipes. Common sense trumps television commercials any time, any place.

I guess those kids hanging out in, and pushing all the buttons, in the elevators does serve a useful function after all. It saves the rest of us from having to touch those buttons.