Cleaning your cabin when boarding.

danielsumner

If she's still your doctor I'd keep seeing her, because she was right. The FDA is banning soaps with 19 common 'antibacterial' agents. Primarily because they don't work and may do more harm than good.

Which is also what a lot of these folks who insist on disinfecting are doing. They're the anti-vaxxers and over-prescribers of communicable diseases. They lower the herd immunity and encourage the growth of disinfectant resistant bacteria and viruses.

[emoji23][emoji23] Wait...did you actually just try to somehow make a connection between people liking to clean dirty surfaces and people who don't vaccinate their kids? How is that even the same topic? But since I'm trying to understand where you made that connection, let me see if I get what you're saying...people who don't believe those diseases exist anymore, are the same people who feel the need to clean dirty surfaces because they believe germs do exist? Or is it because you think that people who aren't vaccinated are afraid of getting a disease? I'm not an anti-vaxxer by any means, my daughter has every vaccine they offer, but I do know a couple of them (I do live in Boulder, Colorado, which is one of the most hippy/green/natural remedy places you'll find in the US) and they are also the people whose houses, cars, etc are full of the most dirt and grime. They are "one with the earth" kind of people; not worried about dirt or germs to any extent of the imagination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

II do set the heat at the lowest level, to turn off the air conditioning when we sleep at night to avoid getting colds.

How exactly is turning on the heat/off the air supposed to help you avoid colds? You do understand that colds result from a virus and not from cold air right?

How exactly is turning on the heat/off the air supposed to help you avoid colds? You do understand that colds result from a virus and not from cold air right?

I believe they are referring to the fact that some airconditioning units can incubate bacteria if not maintained correctly. Do by turning off the air in to the room may inhibit the spread of thus bacteria.

Or it could be due to going in and out of areas that are overheated/underheated (such as heavily air-conditioning buildings) weakens the immune system that then makes it easier to catch colds etc.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

We think the OP probably gave their own accurate description of "freaks." Clean is good, but when one obsesses on cleaning it is just that,...an obsession. A cruise ship is like being on a moving city and your cabin only represents one small place where you will meet Mr Germ and Mr Virus. So try to imagine the folly of running all over an entire ship with your bottle of alcohol....which does not even kill Norovirus! But each to their own.

On the other hand, we would love to hire the OP to be our maid :). As to more useless anecdotal items, we have been on more then 100 cruises and spent more then 3 years of actual days on board ships. In all those cruises we have never (knock on the hull) contracted Norovirus....and yet we do not wipe down anything or even give Noro a thought. We do wash our hands as often as reasonable and avoid elevators as much as possible. The latter not only gives us some decent exercise. but also avoids being crammed into a tight place (with little ventilation) where a cough or a sneeze by one....might well infect all.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm still trying to get over someone turning a facecloth (washcloth) into a cleaning rag....and then sending it out to the laundry for the next person.

No worse than them using that facecloth to wash their privates in the shower and then sending them to the laundry. If people aren't concerned with the grossness left from the last person, why care if someone else is using the rags to wash that stuff? Either you touch it on the surfaces of your room or you touch it on a rag that was used to clean it...and then washed.

We are much more likely to eat street food in Thailand and Vietnam than we are to eat in the ships buffet.

And when we do attend the ship buffet we seldom select items that are open and we never take the first plate on the pile (after seeing a few people paw them and place them back on top). Our experience is that seniors are by far the worst buffet customers...most especially those that appear to be in their 70's and older.

You certainly have a pair of brass ones. Where do you come off saying people in there 70's are the worst at picking through buffet food with fingers? What a /.($&-&: I'm 71 and have been on 26 cruises throughout the world. Worst offenders are kids under seven and women from eastern bloc countries.

You certainly have a pair of brass ones. Where do you come off saying people in there 70's are the worst at picking through buffet food with fingers? What a /.($&-&: I'm 71 and have been on 26 cruises throughout the world. Worst offenders are kids under seven and women from eastern bloc countries.

I, too, was disgusted by the OP's comment regarding seniors being the worst at the buffet. I'm not in that age group but I'm sick and tired of people taking swipes at seniors. As my mother used to say regarding all types of things: They are no better nor worse than anyone else!

How rude to lump a bunch of people together for their behavior according to YOUR perspective!

Do you take your own linens/towels when travelling?

No, not at all! But, I don't turn my own washcloths or towels into cleaning rags (at least not until they're too worn out to use for their original purpose any longer), nor do I do so at hotels, or when staying at someone's home.

But, perhaps others do use their washcloths and or towels as cleaning rags, then again as washcloths. Sort of dual purpose.

I find that using a washcloth as a cleaning rag tends to turn it, well, into a rag.

Get it?

Edited by Mary loves to travel

No, not at all! But, I don't turn my own washcloths or towels into cleaning rags (at least not until they're too worn out to use for their original purpose any longer), nor do I do so at hotels, or when staying at someone's home.

But, perhaps others do use their washcloths and or towels as cleaning rags, then again as washcloths. Sort of dual purpose.

I find that using a washcloth as a cleaning rag tends to turn it, well, into a rag.

Get it?

There is cleaning and there is cleaning. We use our used face cloth to wipe off the sink and mirror before we leave (the head). A lot different than soaking it in some kind of vile cleaner and scrubbing the carpet.

What kind of cleaning are you people doing that warrants a space on CC's hallowed halls?

I am a senior and no, I was not taking a 'swipe' at seniors. Just recounting what we have observed.

Why do we feel more comfortable eating street food in Thailand than buffet food on a ship? Simple, we feel that there is far,far less chance of contracting noro in that setting than there is of contracting noro on a cruise ship. Through our normal daily lives we have built up a resistance to some of the other common bugs that are everywhere.

If you think a kitchen in a North American restaurant kitchen is somehow a great deal cleaner than a Thai night food market stand then I suggest you take a look at some of the health inspections from restaurants in your area (IF they are posted on line as they are in some areas) or talk to someone in the industry. There are some very good and well run kitchens but there are others where if you truly knew what was transpiring you would give them a wide berth. Or perhaps ask the folks at Chipolte what they think about it.

Edited by iancal

Pot says :

"And when we do attend the ship buffet we seldom select items that are open and we never take the first plate on the pile (after seeing a few people paw them and place them back on top). Our experience is that seniors are by far the worst buffet customers...most especially those that appear to be in their 70's and older."

Kettle replies:

"You certainly have a pair of brass ones. Where do you come off saying people in there 70's are the worst at picking through buffet food with fingers? What a /.($&-&: I'm 71 and have been on 26 cruises throughout the world. Worst offenders are kids under seven and women from eastern bloc countries."

Edited by Athankfulheart

I said it was what we have observed. May not be what you have observed.

That is why "I come off saying this"

Nor do we wipe down our cabin. Seems just a little senseless to us to simply be spreading all those nasty germs around an even larger surface. I am sure the folks at Chlorox appreciate it though.

Probably has been mentioned, but we do not shake hands with anyone on the ship, bumping knuckles is close enough. Officers are generally reluctant to shake hands for good reason. We have been sick on cruises and it is not fun to be in self quarantine during a holiday or worse when traveling home while sick.

Bill

[emoji23][emoji23] Wait...did you actually just try to somehow make a connection between people liking to clean dirty surfaces and people who don't vaccinate their kids? How is that even the same topic? But since I'm trying to understand where you made that connection, let me see if I get what you're saying...people who don't believe those diseases exist anymore, are the same people who feel the need to clean dirty surfaces because they believe germs do exist? Or is it because you think that people who aren't vaccinated are afraid of getting a disease? I'm not an anti-vaxxer by any means, my daughter has every vaccine they offer, but I do know a couple of them (I do live in Boulder, Colorado, which is one of the most hippy/green/natural remedy places you'll find in the US) and they are also the people whose houses, cars, etc are full of the most dirt and grime. They are "one with the earth" kind of people; not worried about dirt or germs to any extent of the imagination.

You misunderstand, I'm not saying they are literally the same people. But their effect (minus the disinfectant thing didn't think that through) is the same, in that it has an effect on the wider population.

I always look for bed bugs but have never found any. We use our knuckles to press elevator buttons. We take sanitizer to the restaurant but use it after the menus are removed.

We still get sick!

Sandy

IMHO this is boardeline germafobe. I wash my hands on board as often as possible and definitely before entering a dining facility. I never use the icky stuff the girls try to palm (pun intended) off on you. It smells and feels gross.

We were on a bus excursion one time. A couple sat across from us and literally every 15 minutes or so they would douse up with some vile smelling goo. Wanted to reach over and slap 'em up side the head.

My wife is a knuckle dragger also with elevator buttons. Just can't get my arms around this obsession.

I don't know but I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people who contact noroviris all used the stinky stuff religiously.

These threads make me laugh and make me sad in equal measure....

I strongly suspect a well-constructed scientific study would show no statistical difference in who gets sick on cruises based solely on whether people obsessively clean their cabins or not. (Not talking about those with legitimate reason for concern, e.g., with depressed immune function.)

I have cruised for nearly my whole lifetime starting from the age of 9 years. That's about 45 years. I have never yet wiped down anything in my cabin. And I have never gotten anything more than a mild cold from my fellow passengers onboard ship.

Agreed. We think that it is very strange behaviour. I suspect the television adverts have a lot to do with this.

DW half expects to see someone come into the MDR wearing hospital srubs and protection.

Edited by iancal

IMHO this is boardeline germafobe. I wash my hands on board as often as possible and definitely before entering a dining facility. I never use the icky stuff the girls try to palm (pun intended) off on you. It smells and feels gross.

We were on a bus excursion one time. A couple sat across from us and literally every 15 minutes or so they would douse up with some vile smelling goo. Wanted to reach over and slap 'em up side the head.

My wife is a knuckle dragger also with elevator buttons. Just can't get my arms around this obsession.

I don't know but I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people who contact noroviris all used the stinky stuff religiously.

I think that you are wrong. This is not being a borderline germaphobe. It is a full blown total germophobe.

DON