Cleaning your cabin when boarding.

danielsumner

I've never cleaned the cabin and won't unless it's something very obvious. I do keep the cabin neat; put away clothes, wipe sink after using, etc. I don't leave a mess for the steward.

We've never gotten sick on a cruise, knock wood. I do think over-sanitizing can be a problem if it is obsessive and may also lead to more, not less, sickness. Our immune systems need to learn to deal with the germs and bacteria that surround us, and there is really no way to avoid it all anyway unless living in a bubble.

We don't put towels or clothes on the floor, and keep our stateroom picked up, because I don't like messiness at home and I am no different on the ship, I certainly don't want to make more work for the steward.

We keep all dishes and glasses on a tray, then ask the steward to take them or give them to room service as needed.

This time, we're at the end of a deck, so it will be interesting to see how things go.

"You don't put towels on the floor"?: Then how does your cabin steward know you want clean ones? I believe it's policy at least on RCI's Save The Wave program card left in the bathroom (on the 20+ cruises we've been on) to leave your "dirty towels" (ones you want changed) in a small pile on the cabin bathroom floor... Have I been wrong all these years :confused:

We are Clean Freaks. First thing I do when we get to our cabin on a ship is look in all the closets, drawers, ect. Next we take out our bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol and attach a spray head, grab wash cloths from the bath and away we go.

I am shocked to learn that a cruise line allows alcohol on board. Which one is it?

When I think of the times my parents took me out for a walk, we played football in a field also used by sheep, we peed behind a bush (and it was a bush without a working wash basin), and then we had a picnic and an ice cream - how I wish I had been hiding behind an antiseptic wipe like the rest of you! ;)

I wouldn't have been any healthier, but I might have developed an interesting neurosis. To those people that need an antiseptic environment, good luck to you. But to those that don't, you're surely storing up trouble in old age. A lady I knew was determined to keep her son healthy by keeping him germ free. It worked until he got to school, but he was never right after that.

"You don't put towels on the floor"?: Then how does your cabin steward know you want clean ones? I believe it's policy at least on RCI's Save The Wave program card left in the bathroom (on the 20+ cruises we've been on) to leave your "dirty towels" (ones you want changed) in a small pile on the cabin bathroom floor... Have I been wrong all these years :confused:

I put them on the rack if they are wet and put them on the counter if they are dry. We've never had an issue.

No, you are not wrong. We leave our towels on the floor and always get fresh towels when we do. As you said, it is part of "Save the Waves".

I wonder if anyone has cultured various "private parts" to see what germs lurk thereabouts?

I took Lysol on a cruise and sprayed down everything. The lingering smell was worse than any germs I may have encountered.

Edited by parrotfeathers

You guys are stark raving bonkers. However, your level of craziness does not impact me and if it suits you, clean away. BTW - what do you guys do when you go on excursions where you have to use basic pit toilets with minimal washing facilities? Do you clean the entire pit toilet before you use it?

Might I suggest purchasing one of these biohazard suits for wearing when you are away from your sterile environment - http://www.esafetysupplies.com/DuPont-Tychem-TK-Level-A-Protective-Suit.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw19vABRCY2YmkpO2OzTsSJAAzEt8saPvo08BT_sVMUJy2LQsYyCHsfnE02R8W9k6FYSmDcRoC4bPw_wcB.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I wonder if anyone has cultured various "private parts" to see what germs lurk thereabouts?

I took Lysol on a cruise and sprayed down everything. The lingering smell was worse than any germs I may have encountered.

Herpes, HPV, chlamydia, lol! Plenty of gross things can be cultured from there I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She might want to read this Story though it´s about flying, not cruising, but then most of us Need to fly to cruise.;):D:p

Hahaha [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] this is exactly what I imagine is happening in my room. Not really, but kind of.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

You guys are stark raving bonkers. However, your level of craziness does not impact me and if it suits you, clean away. BTW - what do you guys do when you go on excursions where you have to use basic pit toilets with minimal washing facilities? Do you clean the entire pit toilet before you use it?

Might I suggest purchasing one of these biohazard suits for wearing when you are away from your sterile environment - http://www.esafetysupplies.com/DuPont-Tychem-TK-Level-A-Protective-Suit.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw19vABRCY2YmkpO2OzTsSJAAzEt8saPvo08BT_sVMUJy2LQsYyCHsfnE02R8W9k6FYSmDcRoC4bPw_wcB.

DON

If I had to use a pit toilet or something like that on an excursion, so be it. I would not want to spend a week with one in my room though. Not everyone who cleans their room is a germaphobe, and we don't all do it to keep from getting sick, some of us do it simply because we don't really feel like grabbing a spermy remote. There, I said it, lol.

If I had to use a pit toilet or something like that on an excursion, so be it. I would not want to spend a week with one in my room though. Not everyone who cleans their room is a germaphobe, and we don't all do it to keep from getting sick, some of us do it simply because we don't really feel like grabbing a spermy remote. There, I said it, lol.

I still don't understand the purpose of cleaning "spermy remotes" in your room when those same people who have touched those things in your room have walked out of the room and put that hand on lots of other things that you will touch. And I'm guessing you never, ever shake hands with anyone. Life's too short to be that worried about stuff like that. I'll just wash my hands as I go and keep being healthy like I have been.

I still don't understand the purpose of cleaning "spermy remotes" in your room when those same people who have touched those things in your room have walked out of the room and put that hand on lots of other things that you will touch. And I'm guessing you never, ever shake hands with anyone. Life's too short to be that worried about stuff like that. I'll just wash my hands as I go and keep being healthy like I have been.

I guess the hope is that most people will wash their hands at some point when they get ready before leaving their room, but that they're much more likely to do dirty things like that when they are laying on the bed and then reaching for the remote. Hopefully they won't do those things and then get straight up and head to the buffet. I am well aware when I shake people's hands and when I touch things that plenty of people have visited the restroom before touching them etc, but I simply feel like if I have an opportunity to wipe things down in my own personal space it makes me more comfortable.

Also, reference my post earlier in the thread where I mentioned the undercover video of the hotel maids washing the countertops with towels that had been used to wipe the toilet and the bathtub. I don't want to set my toothbrush on that, just in case.

I'm guessing you haven't been to China where "squatty potties" are the norm ;)

"Spermy remote"? What have you guys and gals been doing with those remotes? Heck, I can barely get mine to turn the TV on.:(

On second thought....... I don't want to know.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Herpes, HPV, chlamydia, lol! Plenty of gross things can be cultured from there I bet.

I believe that very few viruses like the ones you quote can survive outside the human body for any significant length of time. Hepatitis is the one exception.

"Spermy remote"? What have you guys and gals been doing with those remotes? Heck, I can barely get mine to turn the TV on.:(

On second thought....... I don't want to know.

Exactly...Maybe that's why it doesn't work [emoji51]

You forgot gonorrhea.

Oh yeah, gonorrhea.

I was thinking of inviting you to our house so that my house can get a good cleaning! :D

I've been known to clean other people's houses; I do their dishes if I'm hanging out and the sink is full, I'll clean the bathroom if I'm babysitting their kids and I have nothing else to do, I guess maybe I just like making things clean,lol.

I believe that very few viruses like the ones you quote can survive outside the human body for any significant length of time. Hepatitis is the one exception.

I know, I was just listing things that could be cultured [emoji4] It's still gross though.