Just not feeling it...can't figure out why.

FitchburgWIFamily

I loved my last cruise! I really did. So I can't figure out why I can't get excited about taking another cruise. Every other time I got off the boat, I was looking for the next boat I could get on.

I have cruised out of New Orleans twice, and my kids are begging me to go again, but I just can't get excited about doing the same cruise a third time. Instead of getting excited about the sun and the sand I think about chair hogs and the clamor of the buffet.

I have cruised on "smaller ships" in the NCL line: Star, Sun, Jade, but when I look at the bigger ships, instead getting excited about rope courses and waterslides I think: wow, that is a LOT of people that are going to be in my way.

I have cruised out of Venice and Copenhagen, but when I look at NCL's international offerings, instead of getting exited about seeing new cities and visiting new countries I think: the way things are changing, are any of these itineraries still viable in 1 year or 2?

Every time I get my email with my insider deals I think: hey: this will be the time they offer something that will grab me. And every time it is the same old same old.

So, I figured I am just jaded and sated. To try to whet my appetite for cruising we are going to do an all inclusive land vacation in Mexico over winter break. I don't have to worry about tax on the beverage package, the kerfuffle over bringing my own soda, or paying the discretionary surcharge for each of us. I'll bring a few small bills for the occasional tip and I'll be done. With airfare for the six of us, it comes out about the same as we have paid to drive and cruise in the past. Plus, at our resort, we are split across three rooms, so maybe I'll not have to trip over my teenage boys stinky shoes in the middle of the night...something i was not able to avoid in the tight confines of our rooms on board.

As much as I am NCL loyal and an NCL cheerleader, I think they have added a few too many minuses without giving me enough extra bang. If they could come up with a new itinerary out of a port I could easily drive to, or come up with a deal that really works for me, then maybe I would get my "cruise-jo" back...but for now, it just isn't there. I am cruising with a family and so many of the deals are for the first two passengers in the cabin...that doesn't really do it when you are travelling with your mom, your husband, your adult niece or nephew and your two teen agers.

I figure one of two things will happen by switching to a land vacation: it will be so wonderful and I won't cruise again, or I will be booking my next cruise from the internet cafe off the lobby.

So, NCL...the gauntlet is down: entice me! Win me back!

I think you may end up loving them both, I know I do. I've done over 20 of each. Seems I go in spurts- lots of cruises for a couple years, the. A/I, then adventure travel (think mountain hiking, etc...). I think both cruises and A/I vacations both offer excellent value for the dollar. Like different cruise lines, different all inclusive offer different products. Some vastly different. Mind sharing what a/I you selected? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just decided to skip a cruise out of Venice next July and just do a land Europe trip

No need to pay the cruise 90 days in advance and risk something not covered by insurance coming up to interfere (cancel for any reason way way too pricy)

I will book my hotels without prepaying

I will book my airfare and when they ask ...do you want to insure this ticket for $59 extra I will say yes

I'll pay a non refundable insurance premium for a medical policy about 2 weeks prior to leaving because it would cover medical expenses should I get sick while abroad or if I'm injured abroad and I'll know if I'm definitely going by then

No need to worry about pre existing for cancellation issues because I didn't prepay anything. Lol

The pre existing clause only matters with cancellations btw. It has no impact on illness wether pre existing or not once you are traveling because that falls under medical anyway.

Just concerned about medical expenses and care and having a nurse sent to get me etc

Btw I'm healthy.

So worst case I'm out the $59 for the air fare insurance and the premium for the Med policy

Cruising gets too complicated sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I loved my last cruise! I really did. So I can't figure out why I can't get excited about taking another cruise. Every other time I got off the boat, I was looking for the next boat I could get on.

I have cruised out of New Orleans twice, and my kids are begging me to go again, but I just can't get excited about doing the same cruise a third time. Instead of getting excited about the sun and the sand I think about chair hogs and the clamor of the buffet.

I have cruised on "smaller ships" in the NCL line: Star, Sun, Jade, but when I look at the bigger ships, instead getting excited about rope courses and waterslides I think: wow, that is a LOT of people that are going to be in my way.

I have cruised out of Venice and Copenhagen, but when I look at NCL's international offerings, instead of getting exited about seeing new cities and visiting new countries I think: the way things are changing, are any of these itineraries still viable in 1 year or 2?

Every time I get my email with my insider deals I think: hey: this will be the time they offer something that will grab me. And every time it is the same old same old.

So, I figured I am just jaded and sated. To try to whet my appetite for cruising we are going to do an all inclusive land vacation in Mexico over winter break. I don't have to worry about tax on the beverage package, the kerfuffle over bringing my own soda, or paying the discretionary surcharge for each of us. I'll bring a few small bills for the occasional tip and I'll be done. With airfare for the six of us, it comes out about the same as we have paid to drive and cruise in the past. Plus, at our resort, we are split across three rooms, so maybe I'll not have to trip over my teenage boys stinky shoes in the middle of the night...something i was not able to avoid in the tight confines of our rooms on board.

As much as I am NCL loyal and an NCL cheerleader, I think they have added a few too many minuses without giving me enough extra bang. If they could come up with a new itinerary out of a port I could easily drive to, or come up with a deal that really works for me, then maybe I would get my "cruise-jo" back...but for now, it just isn't there. I am cruising with a family and so many of the deals are for the first two passengers in the cabin...that doesn't really do it when you are travelling with your mom, your husband, your adult niece or nephew and your two teen agers.

I figure one of two things will happen by switching to a land vacation: it will be so wonderful and I won't cruise again, or I will be booking my next cruise from the internet cafe off the lobby.

So, NCL...the gauntlet is down: entice me! Win me back!

Solution is simple, sail on a Celebrity ship

OP hasn't actually sailed on the larger NCL ships. I say go for that. Your kids are asking for the waterslides, ropes courses, etc. We have sailed both the Getaway and Escape. With the opening of Harvest Caye in Belize that is like a new destination so a change from where you've gone.

The new ships didn't feel crowded to me. The buffet is laid out in a way that repeats so the crowd can spread out. O'Sheehans was wonderful for breakfast and late night(24hr). The game room (not arcade) was a great place for my mother and I to snake away for scrabble. There's a wide variety of live music in many venues, sometimes over complimentary dinner, in the wine bar or beer "garden", etc. Reservations are not needed for the complimentary venues and there are not crazy lines or long waits to be seated. I haven't used the Specialty restaurants so I cannot comment on those lines/waits, but I can say that I've always seem something open at those venues when I've been onboard(large touch screens show availability).

I will take the Dawn from New Orleans in December and looking forward to trying that class of ship. My first NCL was on the Sky so the Dawn will be an in between for me.

When we sailed the Getaway in 2015 our return was the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. I booked a two night stay post cruise at the Marriott Harbor Beach in Ft. Lauderdale so we were able to have a bit of a land vacation as part of the trip. Perhaps consider something like that. Our package included beach chair/clam shell, beach activities, some water sports, etc. My nephew loved the hoops court and we also enjoyed tennis there; a true resort experience. I booked that part of the trip through AAA and got a great rate. Now they run enough promos that you may be able to get an awesome rate through the Marriott website with a AAA code. Some years back we also booked a timeshare vacation at Marriott Beach Club in Ft. Lauderdale, another option for a post cruise stay. Not on a private beach, but right on A1A so beach front. Planned kids activities and play area. We had a great land vacation there, but the pool/beach area at Harbor Beach will spoil you.

Good luck with your planning. Here's hoping you're back Freestyling soon.

Edited by Nola26

We are taking our second NCL cruise after 20 years we're in a suite on the Star leaving November 20 for 21 days Dubai to Singapore we usually sail on Princess or other lines but decided to give NCL a try because of new ownership we'll see we'll report after the cruise and we have been on over 35 so we'll see!

Edited by goldenrod

This.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

If you go Celebrity your kids may never want to cruise again especially in the off season.

Little kids its no big deal they still have kids club but teen age or right around that age will be surrounded by old people every were they go.

Unless they like the more elegant and dressier events then maybe they will.

We skipped a cruise the last summer and did a land vacation for a week at Margaritville in Hollywood Florida. We did love it, but it's very expensive. My teenage athletic kids wanted to eat every 20 minutes, they're used to cruising and just going to the buffet to get their "snacks". I couldn't keep up and it was a budget breaker. There were no basketball courts (we've stayed post cruise at the Marriott Harbor too) and my son was somewhat miserable the entire week. ;) Everything we did had to be a family decision, on a cruise there are so m an options for each of us that we can separate for a bit and then meet up in a couple hours or so. I suggest that you try the big ships, in ports, do a "resort for a day" for your pool fix. The Colonial Hilton in Nassau has a basketball court....Js.

We skipped a cruise the last summer and did a land vacation for a week at Margaritville in Hollywood Florida. We did love it, but it's very expensive. My teenage athletic kids wanted to eat every 20 minutes, they're used to cruising and just going to the buffet to get their "snacks". I couldn't keep up and it was a budget breaker. There were no basketball courts (we've stayed post cruise at the Marriott Harbor too) and my son was somewhat miserable the entire week. ;) Everything we did had to be a family decision, on a cruise there are so m an options for each of us that we can separate for a bit and then meet up in a couple hours or so. I suggest that you try the big ships, in ports, do a "resort for a day" for your pool fix. The Colonial Hilton in Nassau has a basketball court....Js.

Thanks for commenting about margaritaville. We are trying to decide if we (DH, myself, and our 16&14 year old) should stay for one night before our cruise in Feb. It is so expensive but since we are coming from Toronto in Feb it would be nice to be beachfront.

Thanks for commenting about margaritaville. We are trying to decide if we (DH, myself, and our 16&14 year old) should stay for one night before our cruise in Feb. It is so expensive but since we are coming from Toronto in Feb it would be nice to be beachfront.

My kids are same age and don't get me wrong, we LOVED it, the food was what got to us. There are tons of places on the Broadwalk to get slices of pizza and it worked out well. If you could swing it, I recommend 2 nights, it's too fabulous to stay just one night. Like their Social media page, they're always running internet specials. That's what we did. I got 50% of per night. You have to pre pay and no cancellations. We took the gamble and it paid off.

ETA: check out the Hollywood Beach Marriott. That I'd do for one night, you're on the sand and the place is perfect for what you're looking for.

Edited by Cruiser Who Knows Nothing

OP hasn't actually sailed on the larger NCL ships. I say go for that.

Based on what the OP said, I don't recommend this at all. While I loved my Escape cruise, it was by far the most crowded and chaotic ship on which I have ever sailed. I'm afraid the OP's fears will prove true if they cruise a new NCL ship.

I'm with the others who recommended sailing Celebrity

Maybe cruising is just not for you. If you can't self-motivate for cruising perhaps you should rent an RV and tour the USA driving from one campground to another.

That is what me and cousin Eddie did we visit our cousin Clark Grizwald in Chicago it was a blast.

There is something about the same cruise that works for some people and not for others. My wife always hates it when I mention Enchantment of the Seas...she went on it twice, but the second time I could feel disappointment by her most of the trip. To me, I never get tired of that ship and I even went on it solo once.

Although it isn't the newest or best thing out there, it is the perfect size for me, has friendly staff, a great price point, and has been recently refurbished. If I had the chance to sail it next week, I would.

However, my wife would rather never see it again. So I fully understand your problem. Maybe it is time for a change. Just make sure whoever you are going with weighs in on the decision also...that way you can have someone to blame it on if things go bad....HAHA!!!

• 2 weeks later...

All you have to do is read the c/c reviews for the same ship for the same sailing, and wonder were these people on the same trip? One is five stars the other one star! Let's face it some are very easy to please some impossible to please!