angled balcony as means of theft?

luckyinpa

researching an angled balcony i found this posting. anyone ever heard of something like this? crazy.

We had a cabin with the angled balcony and it provided so much more space! BEWARE THOUGH, the normal handle does not lock the balcony door like it says it does. There is a separate lock at the top of the balcony door that prevents anyone from on the balcony getting into your room. With the angled balcony, it is very easy to jump the rail from the balcony next door. This happened to my sister (they had the same angled balcony just further back on the ship) and the next door neighbors emptied the booze from their mini-bar. We spent over 2.5 hrs of our precious vacation time contesting the charges of $127 for booze they did not take. Only one person on the staff, Tom Nguyen believed they were innocent and fought tooth and nail for them

I have now heard everything on CC! NCL installs special non-locking handles on angled balcony cabins? Must be true though, because it's on an Internet forum. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

isnt that true though? i know there was a knob up between the doors to lock the balcony door. i did never close the door from outside but i assume if i closed the door from the outside that it did not lock and that you had to be inside to lock it.

I was on the Escape just over 2 weeks ago in an angled balcony and there was a lock at the top of the door. I am not certain if the handle actually locked the door, as we always used the separate lock.

However I am not sure that it would be any easier to get into an angled balcony than a normal balcony.

regardless of truth. i have nothing anyone would want and i always ask the fridge to be cleaned out

but now im on a mission to see if noise from spice can be heard on deck 13 in the area of 13290. im more worried about that than a mission impossible theft

...the normal handle does not lock the balcony door like it says it does. There is a separate lock at the top of the balcony door that prevents anyone from on the balcony getting into your room. With the angled balcony, it is very easy to jump the rail from the balcony next door.

Anyone who can read can see the difference between "please use the door lock - open/close" and "door lock - open/close".

01ZgfZXCviE

Any unlocked balcony can be opened.

I have always been paranoid about getting locked out on my balcony and not able to get back into the cabin. I am always testing the door to make sure it opens, especially if DH is going out and I am on the balcony. Next cruise I will definately be testing this "no lock" from the balcony side to see if even with the "locked" handle position on the inside, the door will still open from the balcony. I always assumed it would be locked from the balcony side as well, but maybe not.

It could be that this is a safety feature which prevents people from getting locked out and that only the top lock will prevent entry from the balcony. If so, this would apply to all cabins, not just to angled ones.

But if this is the case, I would think the statement "Door handle "locked" position will not prevent entry from the balcony. Use top lock for security purposes". Maybe someone cruising soon can test it out.

Can't remember what ship, but a few cruises ago, my friend thought he was being funny and jiggled the door handle pretending to lock the balcony door while I was on the balcony. Well, when I got up to go into the cabin, imagine my surprise to find that it was locked. It was a tender port, and I wasn't going ashore. He was. I didn't know if he had left to go ashore or just gone to the bathroom. I sat there for a few minutes wondering what I was going to do. The tenders were loading on our side of the ship, so I decided that I would wait awhile and then just yell for help and hope someone heard me. I didn't see anyone on any of the other balconies. After awhile, he did come to the door to tell me he was leaving and was absolutely horrified to find that the door had been locked. (He had been in the bathroom.). Lucky me and lucky him.

On our cruise in April, I turned the handle to lock while he was on the balcony to stop the wind from hissing. We were both surprised when he turned the handle from outside, and the door opened. Obviously a new safety feature.

Someone could get into your cabin even if it is a standard balcony cabin. We were asleep in our cabin and saw someone on our balcony taking one of our deck chairs. He had climbed over the railing and around the privacy wall. How he didn't fall into the ocean is beyond me. We called security and they responded very fast within minutes. The guy had climbed back to his balcony and told security that he was just getting another chair. We were very careful to make sure the door was locked after that. Never happened again or before that.

Someone could get into your cabin even if it is a standard balcony cabin. We were asleep in our cabin and saw someone on our balcony taking one of our deck chairs. He had climbed over the railing and around the privacy wall. How he didn't fall into the ocean is beyond me. We called security and they responded very fast within minutes. The guy had climbed back to his balcony and told security that he was just getting another chair. We were very careful to make sure the door was locked after that. Never happened again or before that.

that is crazy. wouldnt steward have brought one anyway? and how to lift it up and over. really nuts. i know a room change probably wasnt possible but i wouldnt want to be next to someone like that. very disrepectful..and stupid person.

i have no problem remembering to lock the balcony but now i'm worried about noise on the BA from spice possibly getting down to the inner aft balcony late nites...thats my new worry :) cant escape that if i choose wrong. 13290 is what i'm looking at

We think the guy was drunk!! We had visited with them before this incident and they seemed normal and having fun. Afterwards, things were kind of tense. No more chatting when we met them by their door. Don't let this bother you too much, most cruisers are just trying to have a good time and behave themselves. Like I said never happened before or since. This was on a Celebrity cruise. I'm just glad he didn't fall into the water. That would have been a tragedy.

that is crazy. wouldnt steward have brought one anyway? and how to lift it up and over. ... and stupid person ...

Hmmm, there are surveillance cameras so odds are that the unwelcomed visitor's images while climbing over would be captured & recorded ... fools would be lucky to not fall straight down below & hit the deck or worst, into the ocean with the ship on the move.

Now, the standard micro-sized balconies on the *Away class ships barely has room for 2 chairs and a compact & mini coffee table. There is hardly another room left to move around at all with a 3rd. chair - it would be a challenge just getting back inside or going out ... unless they wanted to keep the extra chair inside their stateroom. :confused:

Room Steward would most definitely noticed and see it the next time s/he come in for housekeeping duties, etc. I can visualize trying to squeeze an extra chair for the balconies of the smaller Dawn/Jewel class ships.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150328_1109.jpg

There is any easier solution - just speak to RS and ask her/him to bring one rather than to be stupid, foolish & risk a 100' plunge into the ocean - sober or otherwise on a "buzz", more than being plain dumb ... in a drunken state is just a poor excuse since the adverse outcome could've been suicidal ("lost his grip & fell into the ocean")

Edited by mking8288

regardless of truth. i have nothing anyone would want and i always ask the fridge to be cleaned out

When I had the room steward clean out our mini-bar fridge on deck 14 on the Breakaway this past summer, she just put the contents in a plastic bag and stuck it in one of the drawers under the couch. So if someone had broken into our cabin and found our fridge full of sodas and chocolates, they could have just looked in the drawer under the couch for all of our mini-bar booze.

but now im on a mission to see if noise from spice can be heard on deck 13 in the area of 13290. im more worried about that than a mission impossible theft

Do a thorough search. We heard lots of music and bass noise on breakaway deck 14 aft one of her first sailings and would never book an aft cabin that high again.

12/11 We are sailing aft of the ship same date as you but deck 11. Back on that fateful sailing we were moved the deck 10 and never heard the noise again.

Edited by RareBird